This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sacramento Ballet

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,474 posts

Posted 13 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

Many thanks for the report, lilliana!

#17 Ed McPherson

Ed McPherson

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

Lillianna-

I appreciate your posts! I grew up in Davis and have friends in the company, its nice to hear about how things are going. If i am ever home while the company is performing, I'll make sure to post. It would be fun to share thoughts.

Edward

#18 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

I went to see the Sacramento Ballet Company perform the Nutcracker last night. Their choreography (Ron Cunningham's) continues to be my favorite Nutcracker. Their party scene had lots of energy, the children were wonderful. Hamilton Nieh as the Nutcracker certainly caught my eye. He is a wonderful addition to the company. He has great jumps and extension and looked so delighted to be dancing.
Sugar Plum Fairy was danced by Eun Joo Cho and her husband Joo Howan Cho was her cavalier. They were absolutely wonderful. Eun Joo is a very delicate dancer. Her positions all were very clear and she danced so lightly.
Other standouts include Stefan Calka as Russian, Kirsten Bloom and Jack Hansen as both Snow Queen and King and Arabian, Nolan T'Sani as Mother Ginger. It ws nice to see Aprentice Brik Middlekauff as Candy Cane. It was a very enjoyable evening and I was happy to see a very full house.

#19 Ed McPherson

Ed McPherson

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

sounds wonderful! thanks for the update :beg:

#20 jeff-sh

jeff-sh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:57 AM

company is touring Shanghai doing some Balanchine works
Shanghai Tour

#21 jas15

jas15

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

When I was still a full-time student at the National Theatre Ballet School in Australia months ago, Heidi Zolker and Tim Coleman (joined Sac Ballet in 2006) came over during Sacramento Ballet's season break and they were just..amazing. Heidi and Tim both come from Australia and Heidi was a graduate of the school. I really miss them. They guest starred in the school's mid-term performance in one of the choreographer/teacher's pieces.

And in class they were just.. you just see them and you go 'WOW'. Both of them have good jumps and good beats, and they have good turns. They're both amazing dancers, everyone just admires them. They also conducted a few variations classes for the full-time students and it was huge fun =D It was sad to see them leave to go back to the US.. but it was a good experience having company dancers in the school for a few months.

#22 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

I am very happy to have them both in Sacramento Ballet. I have season tickets to the ballet. Heidi is someone that I have been noticing and hope that she gets the opportunity to do some featured roles. They are both great additions to the company.

#23 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:58 PM

I had the opportunity to see Sacramento Ballet's Nutcracker last night. I have always loved this version. Ron Cunningham's Nutcracker contains lots of magical moments. The audience members around me were also enjoying the special effects. Lots of ooos and aaahhhs. The Ballet has had a hard financial time this Nutcracker season. Ron made a speech before the curtain discussing the difficult financial situation the ballet was in. Then at the final bows, dancer Kirsten Bloom took the microphone and again discussed the financial woes. Then the dancers were sent to the doorways to accept donations. Sounds really serious for the ballet. I hope that they can survive this downturn. I enjoy watching Sacrmento Ballet and would really hate to lose them.

Aussie Timothy Colemea was the Cavalier last night and did an excellent job. I enjoyed Chloe Felesina's Rose--new to Sac Ballet this year, I am going to enjoy seeing her performances. Also excellent were Nicole Haskins' Marzipan lead and Amanda Peet's Sugar Plum.
If I had one criticism of this choreography, I wish the Pas would be updated. I think that the dancers are capable of more than this choreography allows. Otherwise, it is a great production.
I hope that we will have Sacrmamento Ballet around a long long time to enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):