This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ben Harkarvy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:54 PM

It is with great sadness that I learned of the death of Ben Harkarvy today. Ben was the Director of the Dance Division at Juilliard. Ben and I were inseparable during our teen years and early twenties. We studied together with George Chaffee and Mme. Anderson-Ivantsova and we stayed in touch through his years with Pennsylvania Ballet. I have always taken pride in the fact that I was Ben's first student. It was Ben I always looked to for guidance, no matter who we studied with. Ben has certainly deserved all the a ccolades he received in his remarkable career. It has always amazed me that he was a ble to do this when one considers all the pitfalls he had to overcome. He had nothing of a dancer's body and would never be a professional--and the route to Choreographer, Director, etc. was through a company. It was his keen mind and articulate speech that saw him through. God bless you, Ben.

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 05:02 PM

Atm - I'm so sorry to hear this. The entire dance department in Juilliard (to say nothing of a great deal of the dance world) must be in shock and mourning. I only took a few classes with him (which were quite good) - I know many who think of him with great fondness. It is indeed a loss.

#3 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 April 2002 - 03:43 AM

I am deeply saddened to hear the news of the passing of Ben. He encouraged me to study teaching as a profession, something up until that point in my life I just thought one did through osmosis. He was a wonderful man and teacher as well as a great lover of ballet.

May he rest in peace!

#4 catlady

catlady

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 05:30 AM

What a tremendous loss for the dance world.
I had the privledge of studying with him for a short while and found him to be everything I was looking for in a teacher. He will be missed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):