This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Wish list for ABT Repertory

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 06:17 AM

Which staging of Sylphide was it for the Kirkland/Baryshnikov performances?

#32 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 08:34 AM

An earlier staging by Bruhn, very much "after Lander" -- Gurn was a comic character, although not a middle-aged one. I think Bruhn staged and directed it without "rethinking" (think of that! How revolutionary!!!) although there are a lot of details missing. The Met production (which I have to say I do not like at all) where James now lives in a grand house, was done because the other designs, and the scale of it, were just too small for the Met.

#33 atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 03:44 PM

Manhattnik--I liked your list. I saw Tudor's R&J danced by Markova and Kaye--but it is Hugh Laing's performance that has stayed with me. At the time, I found it too slow moving and I wasn't thrilled with Delius' music---However, having matured much since then I would love to see it again--but I don't know where they could replace Laing's brooding performance.

As to Berman's "Giselle"---no! All those blues and blacks made for a very cold atmosphere--I like my "Giselle" to be bathed in the warmth of autumn colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):