dirac

Tuesday, July 11

3 posts in this topic

Amy Seiwert is appointed the new artistic director of Sacramento Ballet.

The ballet has faced financial challenges, including halting its season and laying off dancers with several weeks remaining in 2015, but last year made a long-anticipated move into the Clara Midtown studios at 24th and N streets in midtown. The ballet employs 28 dancers and 10 full-time staff members. Its 2017-18 budget reportedly is $2.76 million.

A review of American Ballet Theatre by Mary Cargill for danceviewtimes.

Part has always been a dancer of incandescent isolation, with a mysterious self-contained air as if she were from another world, and "Mozartiana" with its air of two equals meeting without human entanglements suited her and was a fitting, if too early, farewell. Her most memorable full-length roles, "Swan Lake" and "La Bayadere," both have magical heroines visiting from another realm and she gave them both a tragic and regal solitude. Her unforgettable Myrta and Lilac Fairy, though moral opposites, one ice cold and the other full of super-human warmth, are both independent, super-human figures. These roles showed off her uncanny beauty and ability of fill out a phrase with those long gracious arms and luxurious back.  As I walked out of the theater I could only think of Winterreise's wanderer looking up at those suns and thinking the best of them has gone.

More stories on the cancellation of the Bolshoi's Nureyev ballet.

Deutsche Welle

Lead dancer Vladislav Lantratov reacted with dismay. "I do not have words. I had just fallen in love with the role and immersed myself in the piece. Everything was going ahead," he posted on Instagram. "This is the worst for an artist." 

RadioFreeEurope

Just days after the Bolshoi called off the premiere, Russia's state-run TASS news agency quoted an unidentified "source" as saying that Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky ordered the show postponed because it may constitute gay "propaganda."

A 2013 law bans disseminating "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors, a statute that rights activists and Western governments have denounced as discriminatory and stigmatizing of sexual minorities.