This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nureyev Production and News

The same message is on Instagram. It doesn't exactly have a "next May at the Bolshoi!" kind of feel to it.

"Today would have been the premiere. But Rudik cannot live without freedom. And he again flew away.

Yura, Ilya, artists, dancers, chorus, all friends and brethren in the theater, to all all all who made this show, including the producers and general director Urin V.G. – Thanks to all of you. To some - for the amazing work on the stage, which exists regardless. To others - for the opportunity to do it. Just as these letters are stored in a "cloud," so unopened shows are sent directly to a special storage, but definitely don’t disappear.

Friends, I love you all!

Rudik is pleased with us, I'm sure."

Edited by volcanohunter

Well, I've just finished reading this thread and all I can say is, it seems a very good thing to me that this miscast, inadequately rehearsed ballet with content of a sexually explicit nature in whatever context, to the extent that apparently some greatly respected dancers refused to perform it, with what frankly I consider horrible choreographer, was taken off.  Good riddance.  Why can't Bolshoi spend its money on a reconstruction or one of the great ballets in its repertoire that are not in production at the moment?  

We don't have much evidence one way or the other about the quality of the ballet aside form Urin's remarks in Russian. Obviously, this type of dance theater isn't to everyone's taste. I just wonder, does it succeed on its own terms? It doesn't sound like the dancers are talking about this project (which is probably wise for Bolshoi dancers). In some ways it's impossible to tell where the real issues lie with this project given Serebrennikov's involvement - as Fleurdelis mentioned, he continues to be under investigation by elements of the government.

The dancers are really suffering under the circumstances. Two days ago Kristina Kretova, one of Possokhov's "Margots," wrote about how difficult it was to prepare to dance Don Quixote on the day that Nureyev should have premiered, saying it wasn't just a matter of having very little time to get ready, but that the theater had become "cold." "We aren't free people, they command, we do it! There are few among us like #Nureyev, and perhaps none at all..."

Granted, she did seem a lot happier once the show was done, and the audience had been especially supportive. But I can understand why Vishneva would want to give the dancers her maximum encouragement right now.

It'd be great if the San Francisco Ballet acquired the rights for this ballet. The company is big enough to fill in all the dancing roles. There are several choral companies in the city that could participate: SF Opera Chorus, SF Symphony Chorus, Gay men's chorus, etc. The orchestra is familiar with Demutsky's score and can play it well. The corps men are excellent and probably could do a better job in the controversial "dance of transgenders" than the Bolshoi's dancers.  And I can see Angelo Greco taking on the protagonist role.  It could be a new commissioned work for the 2018/2019 season.  Pure speculations on my part but one can dream.

47 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

It'd be great if the San Francisco Ballet acquired the rights for this ballet. The company is big enough to fill in all the dancing roles. There are several choral companies in the city that could participate: SF Opera Chorus, SF Symphony Chorus, Gay men's chorus, etc. The orchestra is familiar with Demutsky's score and can play it well. The corps men are excellent and probably could do a better job in the controversial "dance of transgenders" than the Bolshoi's dancers.  And I can see Angelo Greco taking on the protagonist role.  It could be a new commissioned work for the 2018/2019 season.  Pure speculations on my part but one can dream.

And that's why they call you "Dreamer".

It's an interesting idea, to be sure, but I would add the caveat that Tomasson shouldn't take on anything unless it really looks to be a worthwhile project. Alternately, Tomasson could invite the original Bolshoi cast to perform the work in SF - much as National Ballet of Canada is performing Neumeier's Nijinsky in SF this coming season.

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Alternately, Tomasson could invite the original Bolshoi cast to perform the work in SF - much as National Ballet of Canada is performing Neumeier's Nijinsky in SF this coming season.

That seems more dream-like to me than the idea that Possokhov could stage his ballet at SFB...

24 minutes ago, sandik said:

That seems more dream-like to me than the idea that Possokhov could stage his ballet at SFB...

You don't think the Bolshoi would deign to appear in SF performing a 'notorious' ballet?  ;)

Possokhov staging would be a given in any case.

Another twist would be to have SFB perform Nureyev, and Bolshoi perform a work of their own choosing [created within the last 20 years] for a week at the War Memorial Opera house.

To think that next year marks Petipa's 200th birthday anniversary. I'll be in Moscow in May 2018...but most definitely NOT for this. Hopefully this will not eat into the dates for the Petipa Gala in late May & the planned reconstruction tributes later that summer. Forward with Petipa!

12 hours ago, Jayne said:

Would the Nureyev set fit inside the War Memorial?  I am fairly certain the Bolshoi scale is quite different. 

I'm not sure if the size of the stagings is the issue (but does anyone really know?). The size of the orchestra pit may be more of an issue given the vocal choir requirement. I think the production team will need to make this ballet more 'transportable' - shall we say - since it's not likely to see the light of day in Moscow.

Even in dreams, a company like SFB will not be paying $400,000 for rights to display an Avedon photo - they will need another option. Either pay for something new (many artists would practically do this for free to have the chance), or negotiate a much cheaper price for usage of the Andy Warhol illustration, or talk to David 'last of the great fashion illustrators' Downton to develop something that could then be made available as a print for sale.

Andy Warhol

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c9/ba/e5/c9bae5309b3ef602932603c53df549a8--multimedia-artist-rudolf-nureyev.jpg

David Downton

http://minotti-la.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DD-Minotti-2.jpg

1 hour ago, pherank said:

I'm not sure if the size of the stagings is the issue (but does anyone really know?). The size of the orchestra pit may be more of an issue given the vocal choir requirement.

Does SFB have live singers during its Nutcrackers?

That's so odd, because it was scored for voice, and I think Emile de Cou was Music Director when Tomasson's version debuted.  (I saw the Christensen version during the last run before War Memorial closed for seismic upgrades.

In the Balanchine, it's where the snowflakes make a "v" and Marie and the Nephew/Prince enter from the wings and walk slowly upstage.

47 minutes ago, Helene said:

That's so odd, because it was scored for voice, and I think Emile de Cou was Music Director when Tomasson's version debuted.  (I saw the Christensen version during the last run before War Memorial closed for seismic upgrades.

In the Balanchine, it's where the snowflakes make a "v" and Marie and the Nephew/Prince enter from the wings and walk slowly upstage.

SFB performs something like 30+ Nutcrackers each year, so the cost of a choir to perform for all of 2 minutes each performance would be prohibitive - that would be my guess.

As you know, The Nutcracker MUST be profitable, and every dollar made goes into paying for the rest of the season. And apparently, they will need to buy an Avedon photo (my running gag line).

Yes, I knew the part that you were referring to (I have the blu-ray). I'm pretty sure those are not live voices though, and I don't even think they are recorded human voices - it sounds like an electronic sampler to me. But if anyone knows different let us know!

EDIT: But if there was one time that SFB might hire some singers for The Nutcracker, it would be for the filming of the production.

Edited by pherank

DV's quote:

In these challenging times, when established facts are being misrepresented as fake news, we must rely on the arts to connect individuals of different ethnicities, mindsets and beliefs.

I think I love her even more now. Working "fake news" into her statement is all sorts of awesome.