This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions

And presumably at least a couple dancers will need to learn Nikiya, assuming they bring back Bayadere next year. I believe Murphy, Seo and Kotchetkova will be the only ones on the roster who've already danced it (and Kotchetkova's future with the company looks uncertain). Teuscher would seem to an obvious choice. She'll handle all those turns, no problem!  

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

And presumably at least a couple dancers will need to learn Nikiya, assuming they bring back Bayadere next year. I believe Murphy, Seo and Kotchetkova will be the only ones on the roster who've already danced it (and Kotchetkova's future with the company looks uncertain). Teuscher would seem to an obvious choice. She'll handle all those turns, no problem!  

They are scheduled to do Bayadere next July in L.A., so they will undoubtedly perform it at the Met season prior.

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

They are scheduled to do Bayadere next July in L.A., so they will undoubtedly perform it at the Met season prior.

Can you direct me to a link for that one? It astounds me that touring venues post these performances before ABT announces them on their own website (if that's the case here, as well).

I would love to see Sarah as Nikya actually. Nikya is one of those roles where petite dancers actually have had success with the role. Cojocaru, Makarova, Vishneva all wonderful as Nikya. And Sarah has that flexible back which is important.

Just now, fondoffouettes said:

Can you direct me to a link for that one? It astounds me that touring venues post these performances before ABT announces them on their own website (if that's the case here, as well).

Sure - here you go: http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=7/1/2018

Their calendar section is wonky as I'm sure you know. In order to view July 2018, you have to click on July at the far left of the screen as you cannot select that month in the drop down option at the upper right (that only goes till June 2018).

And, I think both Teuscher and Shevchenko will be terrific Nikiya's.

26 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I would love to see Sarah as Nikya actually. Nikya is one of those roles where petite dancers actually have had success with the role. Cojocaru, Makarova, Vishneva all wonderful as Nikya. And Sarah has that flexible back which is important.

This.  Sarah is not a Gamzatti at all.  

6 minutes ago, Kaysta said:

I can't wait to see Calvin tackle some "princely" roles.  He has such beautiful lines and charisma on stage.

I hope to see his Purple Rothbart next year, but I think he'd make a beautiful Siegfried too.

These are good promotions that are well deserved. These are not 'new kids' but dancers who have worked hard and have  put in the time, in particular Sarah.  I share in their joy! Brava, Bravo!!!

Congratulations to Lane, Royal, Shevchenko, and Teuscher. Looking forward to seeing more of them all in the coming years. 

Edited two hours later...because I originally wrote Royal's name twice instead of including Teuscher (which is what I intended). I'm happy about all the promotions--so to everyone: congratulations twice over!

Edited by Drew

I am so grateful to each of these four newly-promoted dancers for the great joy they've given me this past season, but most especially to Sarah Lane, whose artistry has soared to such astonishing and unexpected heights.  May each of them continue to grow and bring us many more great performances!  I expect to see Lane making her debut as Juliet in the spring, and I also expect her to nail those fouettes in her next Swan Lake!  I have faith in her!

Sarah's Juliet will be heavenly!! She will be great in La Sylphide as well. Her partner better be Lendorf (who is probably the best James at ABT)

I have a feeling that some of the corp members will be promoted during the fall season(like Hoven and Cirio last year). My guess is Hurlin, Waski, and Shayer.

Edit: apparently there isn't any promotion during fall season. My apologies

Edited by alexL
18 hours ago, abatt said:

Surprised Gabe was left off the list.

With Royal's promotion, there are 8 male soloists -- Forster, Gorak, Hammoudi, Hoven, Royal, Salstein, Scott and Zhurbin. Shayer's promotion would have made it 9, which would have been a lot for a company where the recent historical norm has hovered around 6.

I would imagine the race is now between Forster, Gorak, Hammoudi and Hoven to eke out that promotion to principal.

6 hours ago, alexL said:

Sarah's Juliet will be heavenly!! She will be great in La Sylphide as well. Her partner better be Lendorf (who is probably the best James at ABT)

I have a feeling that some of the corp members will be promoted during the fall season(like Hoven and Cirio last year). My guess is Hurlin, Waski, and Shayer.

Hoven and Cirio were promoted this time last year, not in the fall.

7 minutes ago, its the mom said:

Hoven and Cirio were promoted this time last year, not in the fall.

Oops, my memory is obviously fading. For some reason I've been thinking that their promotion happened on the fall season not spring. So that means there will be no additional promotion this year at all? Now I'm surprised know that Shayer won't be promoted this year...