This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Promotions

I just realized that there will officially be no tall soloists next year on the women's side. Yeah, definitely expect tall corps ladies to get solo roles. We still have 3 short soloists, so they're covered.

I hope to see lots of corps dancers promoted next year (a repeat of 2015 hopefully).

I feel bad for Hammoudi, but he hasn't done himself any favors. I think it's time for ABT to give Forster and Hoven opportunities in full length principal roles. I'm sure they'll deliver.

4 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

I feel bad for Hammoudi, but he hasn't done himself any favors. I think it's time for ABT to give Forster and Hoven opportunities in full length principal roles. I'm sure they'll deliver.

Yes, they have been very generous in giving Hammoudi opportunities, and it's really past time now to start giving them to others.

25 minutes ago, abatt said:

The only person who should rightfully be blamed for Part's dismissal is McKenzie, not anyone who was promoted.

Hear, Hear!

I'm really upset she is gone, and I can't say her firing (for that is what it basically is) doesn't temper the excitement I feel about the promotions somewhat, but no one should be blaming any of the promoted dancers for this. All they have done is their best. Nothing blameworthy in that.

9 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Blaine Hoven joined the ABT corps in 2004. So he must be in his mid-30's because he also danced for the studio company prior to joining ABT.

Thomas Forster is 31, per his page on the ABT website.

Yeah, let's get moving on both of them, then, but most urgently Hoven. His Mozartiana performance showed that he's really ready for more.

What new roles do we want to see our new ballerina principals conquer?  I want Sarah to finally get a Juliet, and also a Gazmatti.  I want Devon and Christine to be cast as Nikiya.  I also want Christine to be cast in SL.

1 minute ago, abatt said:

What new roles do we want to see our new ballerina principals conquer?  I want Sarah to finally get a Juliet, and also a Gazmatti.  I want Devon and Christine to be cast as Nikiya.  I also want Christine to be cast in SL.

I can imagine Devon and Christine as two very different Auroras.

2 minutes ago, abatt said:

Devon and Christine have both been Lilac fairies in SB, so I'm not sure Aurora will be in their futures.

But now that the Lilac Fairy is a significantly diminished role, in terms of actual dancing, I would hope that wouldn't be viewed as such an alternative end-point (in the manner of Myrta).

Veronika always danced both Aurora and Lilac in the previous production.

Edited by nanushka

A new Raymonda with the three new principals all taking on the lead role!

Okay, that's unlikely, but I'd like to see an Odette/Odile from Shevchenko. And Aurora from both her and Teuscher. 

I also think Teuscher could be a ravishing Juliet. And of course it would seem a natural fit for Lane. 

6 minutes ago, abatt said:

I agree with all of those. Also for Lane: Lise and the Sylph in La Sylphide. 

I'd like to see ABT bring back Paquita. All three of these women would be terrific in that (as would Brandt and Trenary).

1 minute ago, canbelto said:

Sarah - Juliet, Lise, Cinderella, Colombine (in the new Harlequinade next year)

I echo canbelto. I have a feeling she will be Columbine since she's that tiny soubrette and has such a special relationship with Ratmansky. 

Edited by Fleurfairy

It is great to see talented dancers making it to the top. So excited to see these beautiful ladies in the next Met season. Hopefully Maria Kochetkova will  continue performing with ABT since her brilliant technique brings so much thrill to the war-horse classics.

6 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Sarah - Juliet, Lise, Cinderella, Colombine (in the new Harlequinade next year)

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

I second the Shevchenko as O/O.  I think she has the potential to be a fantastic Odile!

I'd like to see Teuscher as Giselle.