This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Veronika Part leaving ABT

5 minutes ago, California said:

A factor we'll likely never know for sure: the details of the supposed negotiations for her to make occasional appearances next season. Perhaps she thought she was worth more money or more appearances than McKenzie was willing to offer. Until they both come clean in their memoirs some day, all we will know are rumors and speculation about why she was cut off this year.

We don't even know whether there were any negotiations, per se. Part's comments (only one side of a very fragmented story, to be sure) in the Russian-language article cited upthread can be read to suggest there weren't:

"At first it was promised to me that I would be partially engaged in some ballets next season, then left only Swan Lake, and later just was deprived of everything, fired with nothing," said the ballerina. "I was unnecessary."

I am a little surprised that everyone is still discussing whether or not Veronika's capabilities had diminished. To me, that is not the point, and completely secondary to HOW she was treated. The way she was dismissed was inexcusable, unforgivable, and I don't care whether there may have been a lack of money in the budget to promote three dancers to principals, and those funds had to come from another principal's salary. Even if that was the case, her firing was handled horrifically. And the last-minute, second-rate send-off she was given on stage was shocking. Either a lot of the dancers don't like her personally or else they were too scared to show their affection or respect for her at her farewell. Weren't any of you there at Vishneva's farewell, a mere few weeks earlier? It was glorious. What they did for Veronika was the bum's rush. To repeat: the ABT administration must really dislike her to have treated her this way, with such public, thinly veneered disdain.

11 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

I am a little surprised that everyone is still discussing whether or not Veronika's capabilities had diminished. To me, that is not the point, and completely secondary to HOW she was treated. The way she was dismissed was inexcusable, unforgivable, and I don't care whether there may have been a lack of money in the budget to promote three dancers to principals, and those funds had to come from another principal's salary. Even if that was the case, her firing was handled horrifically. And the last-minute, second-rate send-off she was given on stage was shocking. Either a lot of the dancers don't like her personally or else they were too scared to show their affection or respect for her at her farewell. Weren't any of you there at Vishneva's farewell, a mere few weeks earlier? It was glorious. What they did for Veronika was the bum's rush. To repeat: the ABT administration must really dislike her to have treated her this way, with such public, thinly veneered disdain.

Thank you, Golden Idol. Very well said and I couldn't agree more. All the other points are really secondary. The bum's rush isn't elegant English but it's certainly eloquent. 

24 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

I completely agree, Golden Idol.

I think the reason some of us have continued to discuss her capabilities is that some of us feel there were two wrongs here: the fact that she was forced out in the manner you describe, and the fact that, given her capabilities, she was forced out at all. It seems like a double affront to some of us.

Edited by nanushka

Did anyone see Part's performance in Don Quixote? She wasn't listed on the official schedule for Don Q (not sure if Queen of Dryads is normally listed) and the only reports on this site just said it was a nice surprise to see her in the role.

I also felt like the farewell was quite hastily done, and I wonder if there's an explanation for it - perhaps either she didn't want a big affair, or since the performance hadn't been advertised as a farewell (even after the program order changed) that management decided not to make it a big affair? All the other celebrations (anniversaries and farewells) were specifically listed in the program as such. Either way, I do wish she had had a better send off more befitting of her long tenure at the company.

Edited by Victura
15 hours ago, canbelto said:

I saw Wendy in Nutcracker around 2008. She wasn't the joyful sprightly type but she was technically excellent in the grand pas de deux. The one tutu role I saw her struggle with throughout her career was Diamonds. She wasn't bad, but romantic reverie roles were never her thing, and her upper body was too harsh and angular to look good in the Diamonds tutu.

Her Diamonds in January 2008 was one of the greatest I've ever seen.  At that point her classical technique was still extremely strong.

There's talk in this thread about Part's injuries.  I don't see many performances of ABT per year, but it seems at least in the MET seasons she has normally fulfilled her assigned performances. I do recall a Kennedy Center run of Sleeping Beauty in January 2016 which she withdrew from, but can anyone give more insight here?  Regardless, there was clearly a bigger reason than chronic injuries as to why she was let go.  Especially as said injuries did not appear to diminish her technique, or cause her to withdraw from a substantial (or even sizable) number of performances in recent years.  

4 minutes ago, angelica said:

Sadly....

Hmm...odd it was taken down. For those that didn't see it, it was a guest ID badge for Royal Ballet, including Part's headshot and dated 8/17, with a caption from Part saying she has enjoyed being able to take class with the company. Maybe someone from the Royal Ballet asked her to take it down...might be against their social media policy...who knows.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Hmm...odd it was taken down. For those that didn't see it, it was a guest ID badge for Royal Ballet, including Part's headshot and dated 8/17, with a caption from Part saying she has enjoyed being able to take class with the company. Maybe someone from the Royal Ballet asked her to take it down...might be against their social media policy...who knows.

If it was a security badge I can absolutely understand the company not wanting it floating around the internet.

While any concrete plans still remain to be seen, Part left a comment on her own Instagram post indicating that she’s continuing to pursue a life onstage. This is a far cry from her (understandably) pessimistic posts immediately following her forced retirement, when she essentially said she was leaving the art form.

The video is also a poignant reminder of Part at her very best — a glamorous, seductive Odile in the arms of Gomes. I already miss the magic she worked with those gloriously long limbs!

Edited to add: If anyone knows where this footage comes from, and if there's more of it, I would love to know! I'm guessing it's from the Gomes doc, but I wonder if more footage of them dancing SL exists somewhere. I know there's the White Swan PDD that's part of a Youth America Grand Prix video, if I remember correctly.

Edited by fondoffouettes
1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

While any concrete plans still remain to be seen, Part left a comment on her own Instagram post indicating that she’s continuing to pursue a life onstage. This is a far cry from her (understandably) pessimistic posts immediately following her forced retirement, when she essentially said she was leaving the art form.

From her comment, it sounds to me like she wants it to be understood that she did not in fact "retire" when leaving ABT. Like many others, then, I eagerly await any news of what might come next for her (beyond the few SPFs she has scheduled for December on Long Island, I mean).

21 minutes ago, nanushka said:

From her comment, it sounds to me like she wants it to be understood that she did not in fact "retire" when leaving ABT. Like many others, then, I eagerly await any news of what might come next for her (beyond the few SPFs she has scheduled for December on Long Island, I mean).

What does she have scheduled for Long Island ?

4 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Thanks, Nanushka.

I have to say that I've yet to see a video clip, of the very few available, that comes close to how well I've seen her do on stage.

I completely agree. I found the YAGP video of the White Swan PDD, from a gala performance, ultimately unsatisfying. Though I own it, and though Part is among my very favorite dancers, and though I already miss her (and never felt she got to dance enough even when she was with the company), I rarely watch it. It's a good performance, but it doesn't move me in at all the way her live performances so often did.

12 minutes ago, nanushka said:

I completely agree. I found the YAGP video of the White Swan PDD, from a gala performance, ultimately unsatisfying. Though I own it, and though Part is among my very favorite dancers, and though I already miss her (and never felt she got to dance enough even when she was with the company), I rarely watch it. It's a good performance, but it doesn't move me in at all the way her live performances so often did.

I, too, totally agree. There was a moment in time (several years, actually) when she was the reigning Swan Queen at ABT, and it's a terrible shame that we don't have a record of her iconic performance. (I would have said it's criminal, but given the state of the world at this time that seemed a bit excessive.)

11 minutes ago, angelica said:

I, too, totally agree. There was a moment in time (several years, actually) when she was the reigning Swan Queen at ABT....

Along with Ulyana Lopatkina, I'd say perhaps "the reigning Swan Queen" in the entire world, and that span covered her entire career at ABT.

37 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Along with Ulyana Lopatkina, I'd say perhaps "the reigning Swan Queen" in the entire world, and that span covered her entire career at ABT.

Yes, quite so. It was with Lopatkina in mind that I added the words "at ABT." But you're quite right, along with Lopatkina, in the entire world.