This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fanny Cerrito

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 07:55 AM

Alas, poor Fanny. :)

Glebb, I don't think so. They revived the livsglaedens dans (translated as "Dance of the Joy of Living" in the 1950s, but that's the last I've heard of it. I don't think it survived Beck's tenure as director.

It's a shame, because, judged by those solos in the third act of Napoli and the dances in Coppelia, Beck was a wonderful choreographer. He didn't think so -- he couldn't structure a ballet the way Bournonville could, he wrote -- but he sure could do steps!

I'm sure Fanny Cerrito would have been a wonderful Little Mermaid. Probably a great Teresina in Napoli, too :)

#17 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 04:33 PM

Alexandra, will you please, please, please write your next book on the Romantic Ballerinas?

#18 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 04:34 PM

Glebb, you are very sweet, but I don't know nearly enough to write a book about Romantic ballerinas. Have you read Ivor Guest's books? He even has a biography of Cerrito, I think, but the Romantic Ballet in Paris, and the Romantic Ballet in London are fully of wonderful ballerina stories.

#19 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 04:43 PM

I have Ivor Guest's "Victorian Ballet Girl", which is about Clara Webster. I'll look for Fanny Cerrito, and I hope there is one about Lucille Grahn.

I still think your book would be interesting to read.

#20 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 05:22 PM

Glebb, do you have Parmena Miguel's book called "The Ballerinas"? It has bios of the Romantic era ballerinas :)

#21 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 05:24 PM

No. Where do I get it? I hope I can get it in a hurry!

#22 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 05:32 PM

Unfortunately, I think it's probably out of print. But, the good news is, I found a copy in a second hand book store a couple of years ago. I had a copy from years ago, maybe 70's, but it sort of mysteriously disappeared when it got loaned out, so I was most delighted to find this copy. You might try Amazon, and there is another site that has old books, and it was listed here on the board somewhere, but I have forgotten now what it was called. I might have it bookmarked....will check.

#23 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 05:56 PM

The websites for rare books are Alibris and Bibilofind, which is part of Amazon. (Links sent to you via IM, since I can't seem to do that here.)

The Balletinas is by Parmenia Migel, published in 1972 by Macmillan Co.

Another book you would like is The Romantic Ballet, from Batsford Colour Books. (B.T. Batsford, LTD) Intro by Sacheverell Sitwell. It is a small book, published in 1948. I also found that in a used book store. It's mostly just the lithographs, with some text. But lots of wonderful pictures of the lithographs.

#24 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 April 2002 - 07:50 PM

I just checked Alibris, and both of the above books are available there, plus several others on the romantic ballet! There were a number of copies of the Migel book available.

#25 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 06:25 AM

A used but in great shape, first edition copy ofThe Romantic Ballerinas should be in the mail to me at any moment. I look forward to it's arrival. :cool:

Thanks Victoria!

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 11 April 2002 - 07:46 AM

That was one of the first dance history books I read. It's wonderful -- lots of gossip :cool:

#27 K2356

K2356

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 05:02 PM

Regarding photographs of Elssler and the other Ballerinas,
the NYC Public Library dance collection has many,many
photographs.A limited number of the photos have been
digitalized and can be view from your computer with
internet access.
-
The NYCPL catolog internet address is
www.catnyp.nypl.org
-
once you get to the above page click dance collection
link then you can search by author,subject,etc.

#28 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 05:05 PM

K2356, can you please check that URL? I tried it and it does not work. Says web site not found.

#29 K2356

K2356

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2002 - 05:40 PM

Sorry !!!!

TRY http://catnyp.nypl.org/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):