This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Yaroslavna Premier Livestream

According to the Mariinsky Facebook page both Mariinsky tv and Medici tv will livestream the premier of Varnava's Yaroslavna-The Eclipse (music by Boris Tishchenko). I think Shapran and Smekalov are dancing the premier. Photos and a short, mostly atmospheric preview syggest a modern/contemporary work and not on pointe, but I don't really know. I take it the title alludes to the story of Prince Igor. I won't be able to watch if they don't leave it up for a day or two, but am a little bit curious. The livestream is at 20:00 St. Petersburg time which (I thnk) is 1 p.m. eastern time. 

Edited to say Zlata Yalinich not Shapran is dancing the premier.

Edited by Drew

Thanks. I was able to watch the first 15 minutes or so and I will try to watch the whole thing I think. Also, I was a bit confused above. The telecast was not the premier, which was the 30th. 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, Drew said:

According to the Mariinsky Facebook page both Mariinsky tv and Medici tv will livestream the premier of Varnava's Yaroslavna-The Eclipse (music by Boris Tishchenko). I think Shapran and Smekalov are dancing the premier. Photos and a short, mostly atmospheric preview syggest a modern/contemporary work and not on pointe, but I don't really know. I take it the title alludes to the story of Prince Igor. I won't be able to watch if they don't leave it up for a day or two, but am a little bit curious. The livestream is at 20:00 St. Petersburg time which (I thnk) is 1 p.m. eastern time. 

Edited to say Zlata Yalinich not Shapran is dancing the premier.

They both danced in the telecast, Drew. Yalinich danced the title role, while Shapran essayed the leading Polovtsian Maiden. While far from my favorite Mariinsky ballet, I very much admired the overall drama and production values of Yaroslavna, bordering on the gory. With all due respect to the leading ladies and to Yuri Smekalov as Prince Igor, I must say that Grigory Popov stole the show as the blood-thirsty Div. The perennial Jester in Swan Lake, I won't be able to think of Popov in quite the same light again, after Yaroslavna.

14 hours ago, CharlieH said:

They both danced in the telecast, Drew. Yalinich danced the title role, while Shapran essayed the leading Polovtsian Maiden. While far from my favorite Mariinsky ballet, I very much admired the overall drama and production values of Yaroslavna, bordering on the gory. With all due respect to the leading ladies and to Yuri Smekalov as Prince Igor, I must say that Grigory Popov stole the show as the blood-thirsty Div. The perennial Jester in Swan Lake, I won't be able to think of Popov in quite the same light again, after Yaroslavna.

Thank you -- I'm a little embarassed to say I've only watched portions of it so far.  Did I read on another thread that you lived in Moscow for a number of years? From a "ballet" perspective I very much envy your familiarity with the great Russian companies...There are a few other people on this sight with that kind of experience. Mine is more limited.

11 hours ago, Drew said:

Thank you -- I'm a little embarassed to say I've only watched portions of it so far.  Did I read on another thread that you lived in Moscow for a number of years? From a "ballet" perspective I very much envy your familiarity with the great Russian companies...There are a few other people on this sight with that kind of experience. Mine is more limited.

Sadly, my knowledge of the Russians is balanced off by my limited knowledge of the companies in Washington & NY. Nowhere to go but up.