This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2017 Season

2 hours ago, Natalia said:

Not a classical tutu or tiara in sight. We used to get T&V or similar during these fall seasons.

Mariinsky at the Kennedy Center, here we come.  Skip ABT's fall season and spend your hard earned dollars in Washington DC in October to see La Bayadere.  

25 minutes ago, Golden Idol said:

Because I never tire of Symphonic Variations, I will go to one performance, whatever else is on the bill. And that's it. Very uninspiring season.

I feel exactly the same. There have been times I've gone to as many as three or four performances, but this time I'll just go to one with Symphonic Variations. I realize that it makes sense logistically and financially to repeat pieces from the previous season, but this just feels like too much of the same. 

I actually enjoyed Her Notes last season, but I kind of expected it to be one of those somewhat pleasant premieres we never see again. It's not something I'd rush back to. I also find it a little odd that the Lang pièce d’occasion (danced by students and apprentices) is being billed as one of three world premieres, alongside the Ratmansky and Millepied. I know it's technically a world premiere, but the one-off nature of a pièce d'occasion doesn't seem to merit that sort of attention. But who knows, maybe it will end up being the next Monotones. And I guess you have to generate hype where you can if you're a press person...

Edited by fondoffouettes
11 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I feel exactly the same. There have been times I've gone to as many as three or four performances, but this time I'll just go to one with Symphonic Variations. I realize that it makes sense logistically and financially to repeat pieces from the previous season, but this just feels like too much of the same. 

I actually enjoyed Her Notes last season, but I kind of expected it to be one of those somewhat pleasant premieres we never see again. It's not something I'd rush back to. I also find it a little odd that the Lang pièce d’occasion (danced by students and apprentices) is being billed as one of three world premieres, alongside the Ratmansky and Millepied. I know it's technically a world premiere, but the one-off nature of a pièce d'occasion doesn't seem to merit that sort of attention. But who knows, maybe it will end up being the next Monotones. And I guess you have to generate hype where you can if you're a press person...

Every one of the students and apprentices have parents, grandparents and siblings to sell tickets to.  The Lang premiere may be artistically rather insignificant, but it will help fill the auditorium the night of the gala.

I was not particularly impressed last year with ABT's performances of Symphonic Variations.  I've seen video of better performances by the Royal Ballet. Maybe ABT's performances this fall will be better than last year.

I wonder what roles they are planning for Hallberg. 

Edited by abatt

Interested about Hallberg as well. From what I heard/saw this season, his dancing was tentative. This obviously is due to coming back from his serious injury, but it made me wonder if he will ever be the same. Kind of like how Darci Kistler (whom I adored) had that terrible ankle injury. And she came back, but her dancing never quite had the same fearlessness. And Hallberg is not on the young side of his career either. 

1 hour ago, Fleurfairy said:

Interested about Hallberg as well. From what I heard/saw this season, his dancing was tentative. This obviously is due to coming back from his serious injury, but it made me wonder if he will ever be the same. Kind of like how Darci Kistler (whom I adored) had that terrible ankle injury. And she came back, but her dancing never quite had the same fearlessness. And Hallberg is not on the young side of his career either. 

He was not tentative in his last show of Onegin in any way, at least in my opinion.  

20 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think the choreography in Onegin is much easier than in many other ballets.  That's why Hallberg agreed to do 2 Onegin's in one week. 

I didn't find him tentative in Giselle either, and there is nothing easy about that series of entrechat-six in act II (though he made it look surprisingly so).

(he did only do that once in a week of course!!)

Edited by aurora

I could easily see Hallberg cast in most of the known works on the fall schedule. Imagine Other Dances with Hee, for ex; definitely in the comfort zone of both & they've worked so well together in the past...the long, wispy duo. He may also be in some of the new ballets...Ratmansky has done wonderful work for him.

4 hours ago, Natalia said:

I could easily see Hallberg cast in most of the known works on the fall schedule. Imagine Other Dances with Hee, for ex; definitely in the comfort zone of both & they've worked so well together in the past...the long, wispy duo. He may also be in some of the new ballets...Ratmansky has done wonderful work for him.

Who will be in the new Ratmansky work is anyone's guess but I can't root for Hee Seo to be cast in Other Dances no matter who the man is. For Other Dances my dream team would be Lane & Simkin. There are lots of unknowns for fall casting even with the listings that appear on individual dancer's bios on the ABT web pages. I'm not terrible excited about the season. When I see complete casting I'll decide if I will go or not.

I always associate Other Dances as being exactly wrong for Hallberg and Seo. It was made on Baryshnikov and Makarova, two very short dancers. Their compact size and Russian folk dance familiarity are part of the ballet's DNA. At NYCB it's still cast with short, terre-a-terre dancers. de Luz and Peck, or Garcia and Fairchild. 

39 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I always associate Other Dances as being exactly wrong for Hallberg and Seo. It was made on Baryshnikov and Makarova, two very short dancers. Their compact size and Russian folk dance familiarity are part of the ballet's DNA. At NYCB it's still cast with short, terre-a-terre dancers. de Luz and Peck, or Garcia and Fairchild. 

True Canbelto - I forgot about the NYCB casting, which I admit I've found quite satisfying. As far as Hee Seo, willowy certainly isn't something I'd associate with the ballet. I am trying to remember the last ABT couple I saw do Other Dances, but I can't. I guess it wasn't memorable!

10 hours ago, vipa said:

True Canbelto - I forgot about the NYCB casting, which I admit I've found quite satisfying. As far as Hee Seo, willowy certainly isn't something I'd associate with the ballet. I am trying to remember the last ABT couple I saw do Other Dances, but I can't. I guess it wasn't memorable!

You're both right. I was thinking the flowey dress and the way it would move on Hee...similar to her dress in R&J. The long alternatives?

I loved Arbo:Legris in this, at POB. My gold standard, beside the originators.

9 hours ago, canbelto said:

I think the last time ABT performed Other Dances, it was Hallberg/Murphy and Gomes/Part.  Not sure if that is correct.  

43 minutes ago, its the mom said:

I think the last time ABT performed Other Dances, it was Hallberg/Murphy and Gomes/Part.  Not sure if that is correct.  

Hallberg/Murphy must have been lovely in this. Also, I recall having seen long-lean-wispy Julie Kent in this...as an NYCB guest? So, yeah, Hee Seo should be gorgeous in this, with an equally long-lean partner.

I've just received my flyer for the ABT fall 2017 season in the mail. Sorry to be so crude but...that has to be the least appealing cover photo for what's intended to be a ballet-marketing brochure. Good grief! They obviously were aiming for the least classical look possible! Yuk. (Those who got it know what I mean...it's not worth acknowledging who is depicted. I feel sorry for the man in the pic, who is a fine dancer and always looks good.) After seeing this, I've decided to completely forego the season & stay in Washington, DC.

1 hour ago, Natalia said:

I've just received my flyer for the ABT fall 2017 season in the mail. Sorry to be so crude but...that has to be the least appealing cover photo for what's intended to be a ballet-marketing brochure.

I have to agree Natalia. Unless I didn't look carefully enough, there was no mention of the principal dancers who would appear. I will  probably go once to see Symphonic Variations.

3 hours ago, vipa said:

I have to agree Natalia. Unless I didn't look carefully enough, there was no mention of the principal dancers who would appear. I will  probably go once to see Symphonic Variations.

You'd think with all the text they did manage to include (and really, do we need the complete run-down of what pieces will be in every single program?) that they might've found room for the rest of the dancers to be at least mentioned.

Edited by nanushka

Well, ABT's old press release for the Avery Fisher Hall season was no help in determining who danced Other Dances back then (it says TBA for all performances of the piece). But this old thread confirms that both Hallberg/Murphy and Gomes/Part danced it:

So, I guess ABT didn't feel like they needed to cast short for this one. I remember enjoying Hallberg/Murphy in Other Dances, though It was my first time viewing the piece so I had no point of reference for how it should be danced. The reactions in the thread above are rather tepid/negative. Seems like Part/Gomes were more enthusiastically received.

Edited by fondoffouettes