This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Was anyone else from Ballet Alert at yesterday's Agon at 60 symposium, sponsored by the New York Review of Books, at Scandinavia House in NYC?   Apparently it received little publicity, and I missed the ad in a recent issue of NYRB.  I only learned of it from an Instagram post last week by Alastair Macaulay. By the time I signed up, it was supposedly full but I went yesterday morning in any case, given that it was a free event and I hoped there would be no-shows. I and several others who were on the waiting list were admitted. It was truly glorious. We heard from Arthur Mitchell, Jacques d'Amboise, Barbara Milberg Fisher, Allegra Kent (on video, interviewed last weekend by Robert Gottlieb), Macaulay, Acocella, Gottlieb and many others. Maria Kowrorski and Jared Angle performed the Agon pdd (beautifully, on a tiny stage) and then answered questions from Claudia Roth Pierpont. No video was made but it was recorded for sound. A feast of riches!

I'm guessing that music rights may be the reason it wasn't video recorded but am not sure. I sent a gushing note of appreciation this morning via email to the New York Review, asking about plans to share the audio. The response I received said that a link may be posted on their website at some point but it seemed very vague. Here's a link to the program:  http://www.scandinaviahouse.org/events/agon-sixty-symposium/

according to a communication from a staffer at the NYRoB the audio recording of the AGON symposium will be posted on NYRoB website "within the next few weeks." if anything more definite or a link/posting comes to light, it will be noted here.

On 6/28/2017 at 10:45 PM, rg said:

according to a communication from a staffer at the NYRoB the audio recording of the AGON symposium will be posted on NYRoB website "within the next few weeks." if anything more definite or a link/posting comes to light, it will be noted here.

It's up now: "Agon" at Sixty:)

A very entertaining panel discussion - thanks for posting the link!
http://www.nybooks.com/event/agon-at-sixty/

I recall that Macaulay previewed some of his statements in his podcast interview with/by Rebecca King regarding Serenade:
http://tendusunderapalmtree.com/alastair-macaulay/

But he adds historical context here which helps to ground the discussion a bit. And he's fond of interjecting Frederick Ashton moments - 'here's what Ashton was doing at that time that relates'. Some of that may be a bit forced (as there is scant evidence that Balanchine/Kirstein/Stravinsky are making decisions based upon something that Ashton was working on), but I appreciate hearing about the broader ballet context. Arthur Mitchell is always well-spoken and enthusiastic.

The Charles M. Joseph book "Stravinsky & Balanchine" covers a good deal of the background material; however, now we get the first person recollections which are fun and invaluable in breathing life into this history.