This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Osiel Gouneo.

A product of the Cuban ballet, and quite spectacular for his young age...Osiel Gouneo has already danced already the big Princes names-(Giselle, SL, Cinderella, Bayadere, Coppelia)- in between the three companies where he has danced: Cuban National Ballet, Norwegian Ballet and right not at Beyerische Staatsoper, Munich. I can picture him at ABT or RB. He is that kind of material. 

4 hours ago, Natalia said:

Why did Osiel change his name from Gounod to Gouneo after 2013? Did he want a more Spanish-sounding name? Yet, he did so after leaving Cuba for Europe.

I don't know.  It seems very strange. At some point I even thought that there were two different bailarines...one Osiel Gounod and one Osiel Gouneo.  This picture goes online as Osiel Gounod. 

osie_gounod_BNC_portrait.jpg

And this one goes as Osiel Gouneo, back when he was with the Norwegian Ballet.

Osiel-Gouneo.jpg

I'm sure they are the same person.  Am I wrong..? 

In any case...if it is indeed the same dancer, there are several articles produced by the official Cuban press praising him as Gounod and still placing him as a member of Alonso's troupe. As Gouneo there are CERO references from Cuba.  I truly suspect a radical departure, one rather less than amicable with Alonso...almost as if he wanted to re invent himself, not even wanting to be linked to his former last name.

As a side note...I went to check the Cuban roster to see if by any chance he might still be there...and wow...it is looking quite thin on the male department.  There is only one Principal guy listed right now, Dani Hernandez.

Oseo is continuing the long tradition in the dance world of changing your name to help your career.  

There seem to be a handful of women who professionally use just their first and middle names.  Others try to soften harsh surname spelling.  Newsreaders and actors do it too.  

As long as Oseo is a great performer then the audience won't care.  Unless he does the Prince Nelson symbol name change.  That was a head scratcher.  

Edited by Jayne
15 hours ago, Jayne said:

Oseo is continuing the long tradition in the dance world of changing your name to help your career.  

There seem to be a handful of women who professionally use just their first and middle names.  Others try to soften harsh surname spelling.  Newsreaders and actors do it too.  

As long as Oseo is a great performer then the audience won't care.  Unless he does the Prince Nelson symbol name change.  That was a head scratcher.  

Who is "Oseo"? He didn't also change his first name???

Cubanmiamiboy, Osiel Gounod and Osiel Gouneo are definitely the same wonderful dancer. What could be more artistic and soft sounding than Gounod? Goo-noh...two beautiful syllables? 

He was still Gounod during the last BNC tour to the Kennedy  Center (2011?) when I "discovered" him at age 19 in Coppelia pdd in "Magia de la Danza." Neither he nor his partner Grettel Morejon were yet Principals...not even close to the first two ranks. They were the babes. Both turned out to be the highlights of that night. I'm sure that his departure was a huge shock to Cuba...just like Romel Frometa left a few years later...and other up-and-coming men before that. It seems that whenever a Cuban danseur in on the cusp of greatness, he leaves.

The young lad who was being "pushed" during my working visit to Havana last March '16 was one Rafael Quenedit (assume related to other famous Cuban Quenedit dancers who left a long time ago?). Quite wonderful with the trademark Cuban endless pirouettes.

Montage of solos of Rafael Quenedit, the 2nd-3rd excerpts being the Paquita segments in the performance that I attended March 2016. Remember, at this point, he was just into his 2nd season as a professional.

Edited by Natalia
Added Quenedit montage

Even better...film of Osiel Gouneo & Viengsay Valdes in Alicia Alonso's version of the Diana & Acteaon pdd, during the most recent festival on Havana. His solo begins at 4:40...sassy walk and all. Wow!

He is something else. I wish that he is finally settling down to a long-term company in Munich, after his quick stints in Norway & ENB. This brilliant dancer deserves to be a permanent Principal, rather than hopping to a different place every one or two years.

I was lucky enough to watch him and Viengsay dance "Swan Lake" here in Puerto Rico about two years ago, with Ballet Concierto of PR. It was a real treat. 

They brought the house down - and I remember thinking I hoped that he would go on to bigger things, like Carlos Acosta.  It makes me happy to see that people have noticed him. 

Edited by elena