This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Onegin

3 minutes ago, canbelto said:

It might be hard to find the right partner for her but I think Veronika Part would be a wonderful Tatiana.

That may be the main issue for ABT if they want to show Onegin again next year - without Vishneva, Ferri or Bolle (although he may come), they won't have as compelling a set of casts. As much as I'm happy to see the rising crop of soloists this year (and I really loved Brandt in Le Corsaire), I'm not sure that they have the acting experience to pull off the part of Tatiana. 

Could Gomes partner Part? 

A friend a few years ago asked Part why she was not doing Onegin, and she quipped that maybe she is not Russian enough.  They have denied Part certain roles, presumably because finding a partner willing to lift her would be problematic.  All of the Tatiana's in this and prior runs are waif-like, and Part simply is not. That may explain why she has also never done Giselle, R&J or Manon, to name a few.

The lifts in Onegin are killers. 

Edited by abatt
18 minutes ago, canbelto said:

It might be hard to find the right partner for her but I think Veronika Part would be a wonderful Tatiana.

Yes. I'm usually not a fan of the "Ardani Guests Policy" but wouldn't mind having a big Russian male guest at ABT next year to dance Onegin to Part's Tatyana. Thinking about the very strong guys who partnered Lopatkina in her last tour to Brooklyn last year: Andrei Yermakov or Roman Beliaev.

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

They have denied Part certain roles, presumably because finding a partner willing to lift her would be problematic.  All of the Tatiana's in this and prior runs are waif-like, and Part simply is not. That may explain why she has also never done Giselle, R&J or Manon, to name a few.

All the more reason to bring in someone like Fabrice Calmels!

55 minutes ago, lacdescygnes said:

That may be the main issue for ABT if they want to show Onegin again next year - without Vishneva, Ferri or Bolle (although he may come), they won't have as compelling a set of casts. As much as I'm happy to see the rising crop of soloists this year (and I really loved Brandt in Le Corsaire), I'm not sure that they have the acting experience to pull off the part of Tatiana. 

Who is to say they'll be without Vishneva, Ferri or Bolle? Vishneva could return as a guest artist, just like Ferri keeps doing. Right now, we haven't heard that Bolle won't be returning, so we can assume he still will. If they all don't, then I agree they'll have a casting issue. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Copeland is given a Tatiana.

50 minutes ago, abatt said:

A friend a few years ago asked Part why she was not doing Onegin, and she quipped that maybe she is not Russian enough.  They have denied Part certain roles, presumably because finding a partner willing to lift her would be problematic.  All of the Tatiana's in this and prior runs are waif-like, and Part simply is not. That may explain why she has also never done Giselle, R&J or Manon, to name a few.

46 minutes ago, nanushka said:

All the more reason to bring in someone like Fabrice Calmels!

Nanushka, you beat me to it! I know I sound like a broken record, but they really ought to get Fabrice Calmels to partner Veronika. Not that I'd object to them bringing in one of the big Russian guys, but Calmels is perfect for her, they've danced together before and he'd make a great Onegin!

33 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Who is to say they'll be without Vishneva, Ferri or Bolle? Vishneva could return as a guest artist, just like Ferri keeps doing. Right now, we haven't heard that Bolle won't be returning, so we can assume he still will. If they all don't, then I agree they'll have a casting issue. But, I wouldn't be surprised if Copeland is given a Tatiana.

I doubt that Vishneva, having danced Onegin for her farewell would return the very next year to dance the same ballet. We're not sure how long Ferri will keep returning, and if she does next year what role she will choose. But you're right - we don't know anything for sure at this point.

2 hours ago, nysusan said:

Nanushka, you beat me to it! I know I sound like a broken record, but they really ought to get Fabrice Calmels to partner Veronika. Not that I'd object to them bringing in one of the big Russian guys, but Calmels is perfect for her, they've danced together before and he'd make a great Onegin!

Andrei Ermakov is 6' 5"...is still young, yet experienced in multi-act dramatic ballets (such as Anna K)....and a true Russian Hunk! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Ermakov

Roman Beliakov is THE tallest guy at the Mariinsky, so he must be at least 6'5". Just graduated in 2013...so about age 23...lots of ENERGIA!

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/coryphees/coryphees_man/belyakov1/

1 minute ago, Natalia said:

Andrei Ermakov is 6' 5"...is still young, yet experienced in multi-act dramatic ballets (such as Anna K)....and a true Russian Hunk! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Ermakov

Roman Beliakov is THE tallest guy at the Mariinsky, so he must be at least 6'5". Just graduated in 2013...so about age 23...lots of ENERGIA!

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/coryphees/coryphees_man/belyakov1/

I've never seen Beliakov but I LOVE Ermakov, didn't realize he was that tall.

I think the real problem is that ABT no longer seems inclined to look for a suitable partner for Part. They seem to think that Stearns, Hoven, Whiteside et al will do fine. I'll reserve judgement on Hoven, but Stearns isn't a great partner for her and while she looked very comfortable with Whiteside in SL he certainly couldn't handle her in the Onegin &  Manon type of lifts.

I don't even know what to say after tonight's emotional performance with Vishneva/Gomes...

I guess I should be sad that I'll probably not see them together at ABT again (or at least not soon), but I have to say, what I most feel right now is gratitude.  Thank you to Diana & Marcelo for giving me some of the most memorable performances of my life.  It has been a privilege to watch the two of you pour your heart and souls out onstage for the past 10 years or so.

Here's a video of rehearsing "Onegin" in her last few days at ABT:

Just a short information on the Rose designs: they are a question of budget, nothing else. If you want to have the original designs, he will come in person (turning 80 in 2017, he is still very much alive and kicking) and supervise the production. He is famous for his taste in fabrics and material, which also makes Neumeier's "Lady of the Camellias" a VERY expensive production, because Neumeier, other than Cranko heir Dieter Graefe, insists on keeping the original costumes and decor.

Most European companies use the original designs for "Onegin", that's right, but not all - Berlin State Ballet has modern designs by Elizabeth Dalton. Also the Bolshoi chose the original designs when it staged Onegin some years ago. Rumours say that Jürgen Rose will do another story ballet production for Stuttgart in one of the next seasons.

A few minor details:

I noticed a professional film crew Friday night in the Grand Tier box closest to the stage. I wonder if they're making an archival tape for the NYPL or perhaps footage for Russian TV. Anybody know?

When the corps men enter in Act I, they all do fun tricks. I noticed a spectacular revoltade/540 several nights, including Friday. Is that JooWon Ahn? Anybody know?

I was there yesterday and Thursday. While I was very sad to see Vishneva retire, I preferred Ferri/Bolle in the last act. Vishneva's Tatiana is softer and more youthful while Ferri's was more determined and mature. At the end of the act 3 Ferri's Tatiana grieves for her love but then puts on a "mask", like Onegin did in the earlier acts. It shows her character's transformation since the previous acts and this portrayal was more affective to me. Diana's Tatiana definitely suffered more and one could tell that her Tatiana could never be happy again. I preferred Vishneva in act 1 and 2 as she still has the technique to pull it off (not that it's a difficult choreography). Also, on Thursday the supported jetes were spot on and everyone was in sync with the music and each other! It made it look way more thrilling than Friday night where the corp were very out of sync. Were Friday's corp dancers taller than Thursday's corp cast? I can imagine the taller dancers having trouble with the lighting fast tempo. 

Onegin is not my all time favorite ballets (but two of my all time favorite music by Tchaikovsky are featured in the ballet) however I still enjoyed it more than Manon. Despite the lovely music I don't think I can ever bear to see Manon again without the artists like Diana and Marcelo in it. 

I don't know the Cranko ballet or Russian, and I can't read the original Pushkin, but I'm very familiar with the opera, which I've been told is not quite true to all of the original characterizations, particularly of Olga, but that Tchaikovsky's portrayal of Tatiana is on the mark.  I don't know what Cranko's intent was for the characters in his ballet.

In interviews, one of the great portrayers of the opera's Tatiana, Anna Netrebko, has said that she cannot identify at all with Tatiana, but her portrayal of the shy, literary, emotional, and easily embarrassed teenager is very vivid, and sound more like what you describe of Vishneva than Ferri.  I don't know if this is Vishneva reclaiming her heritage like the way Lopatkina tried to make Balanchine's "Diamonds" into after Petipa, or if that's what Cranko was aiming for or included in his range of right.

1 hour ago, Mazurka said:
  1.  Oh Stella! Oh Cory! Oh Gorak! Oh Cassandra,  Act 1 sheer delight

Oh my, I am a sobbing heaving wreck right now.  Stella was amazing and heartbreaking.  And for the first time, I saw real passion from Cory Stearns, he blew me away!  And I don't even have the words for Gorak and Trenary.  Honestly, that's the best I've ever seen Stearns or Gorak.   Will write more when I get back to Philly, but BRAVOOOO!!!!

Edited by Kaysta

Just back from the Cory-Stella Saturday matinee -- my second look at this wonderful pair. I teared up again in the final PdD! She so beautifully captures the complex emotions of the moment -- anger, resentment, haunting memories, lingering love, whatever...it's all there, all quite genuine.

I did notice that some of their lifts, especially in the Act I bedroom PdD, suffer in contrast with Vishneva-Gomes. Specifically, she ends up on his shoulder or back, horizontally, in several lifts, but the entries all seemed cautious, overly-labored. But that was the only noticeable problem with the technique. 

A detail from the Vishneva-Gomes curtain calls Friday night: While all her friends and colleagues were bringing out lavish flower bouquets, Irina Kopolkova brought a bunch of yellow sunflowers. It seemed odd at the time, but I noticed today that in Tatiana's bedroom in Act I, there is a large bunch of sunflowers on the wall. So that was actually a thoughtful detail immediately understood by two Russian women.