This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

XIII Moscow International Ballet Competition

Once every four years.

Although my choice as a winner might be Yekaterina Chebykina, 23 years old, (with non-competing ivan Oscorbin), at 22:20 and 1:49:15, there's other remarkable dancing and the contest isn't over. 

Here's another really nice one.  47:20

Terada Midori, 24 year old, Japan   Olawa Koya, 25 years old, Japan, The Talisman. If you're into the space age keep an eye on him. She's absolutely lovely.

Edited by Buddy

Oh yes...the couple that danced the Talisman pas de deux did have some great moments--and I certainly enjoyed his big jumps.

I'm not caught up with the competition yet though. In what I have seen, I must admit I have also enjoyed the occasional cuts to the judges -- though it's usually impossible to tell what they are thinking.

Also, there's a young man, Ksenofontov I think, who seems like a real stage animal--big personality--and danced his variation well too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him as well as some of the others including Chebykina and, I think, a ballerina representing Latvia who seems to be without a partner, Gudanova maybe?

(I keep inserting 'I think' because I have been watching on and off, not taking any notes, and most of the dancers are entirely unknown to me.)

Edited by Drew
On 17 Jun 2017 at 5:21 PM, Drew said:

Oh yes...the couple that danced the Talisman pas de deux did have some great moments--and I certainly enjoyed his big jumps.

I'm not caught up with the competition yet though. In what I have seen, I must admit I have also enjoyed the occasional cuts to the judges -- though it's usually impossible to tell what they are thinking.

Also, there's a young man, Ksenofontov I think, who seems like a real stage animal--big personality--and danced his variation well too. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him as well as some of the others including Chebykina and, I think, a ballerina representing Latvia who seems to be without a partner, Gudanova maybe?

(I keep inserting 'I think' because I have been watching on and off, not taking any notes, and most of the dancers are entirely unknown to me.)

Evelina Godunova, 25 years old, from Latvia (Giselle Act I, 44:00 and modern, 2:03:00) did indeed catch my attention, Drew. She might be a contender. She has a fine mix of airy gracefulness and virtuosity. Her jumps, for instance, are both floating and grand. She has a grace and interest that could work well at the Mariinsky or the Bolshoi. Her modern flexibility and expression are also quite impressive. From a Mariinsky perspective, as a modernist, she could join the grouping pretty much dominated by Yekaterina Kondaurova, but with Renata Shakirova and Yekaterina Chebykina showing potential as well. The reason that I mention the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi is that from the smiles on Yuri Feteyev and Svetlana Zakharova’s faces it’s not beyond my imagination to see her at the Mariinsky someday.  

The finals will be on Monday with the results to be announced around midnight Moscow time. 

This is another couple that I find very charming and entertaining.

Felicia Rusu, 21 years old, Moldova, and Luciano Perrotu, 19 years old, Argentina, dancing Diana and Acteon, Esmeralda. Every so often she looks a lot like Yevgenia Obraztsova. He resembles an Argentine Hercules with all the delightfully consistant, physical attitude that you could ask for.  

34:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSPacN1Cfo

Added:

And of course, the Mariinsky's Ernest Latypov and Anastasia Matvienko (non-competing).

1:01:00 

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added

Replay of today's Senior Finals can be seen here. I haven't had a chance to look at it.

http://www.medici.tv/fr/ballets/moscowballetcompetition-seniors-round3/

This is one that I like from the Seniors on Friday from a video compilation that was just posted by the Academy of Russian Ballet. I'm not sure what determines its selection and I've just started through it. The advantage to watching its posted videos is that you can switch around which I'm unable to do with the Medici TV ones, which are complete, in order of appearance and better film quality. 

Anna Markova, 26, Russia   Ivan Totov, 26, Russia  Sleeping Beauty

27:15 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0iqOFV4Ag

I was struck by Luciano Perrotto (they misspelled the final vowel of his last name) as well. What technique and charisma! Although he grew up in Argentina, I know he spent at least one summer and a full year toward the end of his training (age 17-ish) at the Rock School in PA. 

Random gleanings....Mariinsky's Chebykina shares Honorable Mention diploma with Joy Womack. Highest sr ladies prize is 2nd place for Ms Gomes of Brazil (who won 1st in Varna last yr). Mariinsky's Ernest Latypov wins 2nd place Sr Men. His coach, Selyutski, won top prize for coaching.

A girl fr the USA won top Jr prize...first name Elizabeth. I'll let others fill in.