This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Uliana Lopatkina Announces Retirement

I saw today on the Russian side of the Mariinsky website the following announcement.

Мариинский театр официально объявляет поклонникам таланта прима-балерины театра Ульяны Лопаткиной, что она сообщила о завершении своей танцевальной карьеры.

Here is the google translation:

Ulyana Lopatkina announced the completion of the dance career
The Mariinsky Theater officially announces to the fans of the talent of the prima ballerina of the Ulyana Lopatkina Theater that she announced the completion of her dance career.

This is very sad news for me and for all her millions of fans worldwide, everyone who ever saw her dance, whether live on stage or on television or video.  She was a wonderful ballerina, a true Vaganova ballerina with textbook, correct technique, the most exquisite floating lyrical quality and astonishingly beautiful arms.   She had had an operation on her hip earlier this year, but for the last few years her dancing performances had become fewer and fewer, but always exquisite.  I feel privileged to have seen her throughout her career.  I remember the first time I saw her was as Nikiya at the Royal Opera House, when she was in her early 20s.  We all marvelled at her slender limbs, since she was a type of ballerina we had never seen before.  Towards the end of her career I was so lucky to see her on the Mariinsky stage as Odette-Odile, Nikiya, Giselle, Tsar Maiden and other roles.  I loved watching her.  I am very sad at this news, but also grateful for having seen her and God Bless her and give her a long and happy life.  

Very sorry to hear this news. So no tribute farewell performance? That's it - she's now retired? :dry:

So many amazing memories of seeing her live  from very early Giselle and Myrta, Lilac Fairy, Raymonda's friend, Neumeier's "Pavlova & Ceccheti" miniature...guesting in DC's Kirov Academy in early 90s w/ Swan Lake pdd & "Russian Dance"..my witnessing her very first full Nikiya at the MT (& many yrs later in DC), early Ratmansky "Fairy's Kiss"...then the agonizing multi-year wait after her big injury...then Scheherazade, Sound of a Empty Pages, La Valse, Trois Gnossienes, Carmen...Raymonda, Diamonds, Legend of Love, Anna Karenina, Paquita Gnd Pas...finally that marvelous last "gala" at BAM in Jan 2016. How lucky that one of her last big tours was at our doorstep!

Here's wishing her a wonderful next phase in her life! I selfishly wish that she'd "pull a Wendy Whelan" and continue performing in some way but teaching & coaching the new generation would be fine too.

Edited by Natalia
Adding my personal memories of live Lopatkina performances over the past 25 years!

I cannot think what to write. This news was expected, but still feels overwhelming. I saw her only a very little but to me that very little was beyond measure--Her Swan Lake, in particular was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I wish her every happiness in the future doing whatever she pleases, but of course I rather hope she decides to coach or teach and can pass on some of her profound understanding of ballet.

Edited by Drew
On 17 Jun 2017 at 3:17 AM, Drew said:

I cannot think what to write. This news was expected, but still feels overwhelming. I saw her only a very little but to me that very little was beyond measure--Her Swan Lake, in particular one the greatest experiences of my life. I wish her every happiness in the future doing whatever she pleases, but of course I rather hope she decides to coach or teach and can pass on some of her profound understanding of ballet.

Well, Drew, we meet once again in complete agreement.  :)

I just finished writing at the ABT Swan Lake topic that hers and Veronika Part's Swan Lakes were the best that I've ever seen. As a ballet artist, she is probably one of history's finest.

Wow. I am sad to hear this news. I have some very fond memories of seeing Uliana Lopatkina. I was fortunate enough to see her the few times she toured to the U.S. She was bar none the finest Odette/Odile I've ever seen. Hard to believe that was just two years ago. Also loved her in the adagio of Symphony in C, La Bayadere, and smaller ballets like La Rose Malade and Dying Swan.

Hope she passes down her knowledge and artistry to another generation of ballerinas.

1 hour ago, Natalia said:

Now there's a fine thought...Lopatkina as possible new AD of the Mariinsky. Gergiev can move Fateev to head the Mariinsky's branch in Vladivostok. 

Ha - Natalia.  You said it just as I thought it, but I hear the North Pole has a new ballet company that needs an AD...  

This is expected but makes me very sad. I never got to see her live, but I watched and bought as many of her performances as I could find. 

I think of her as an intelligent and intuitive artist, both in her approach to dance and the roles she took/avoided. So musical and elegant... a Swan Queen for the books. :)

I feel blessed to have lived in the time of Uliana Vyacheslavovna Lopatkina's, career and to have seen her IRL on many occaisions.  She is and will always be a magnificent prima ballerina and I add the title "assoluta."   

As she retires from the stage, she has set a standard of artistry and professionalism for all aspirants to emulate. Since her graduation from Vaganova Academy in 1991, Uliana never ceased to polish her art, and for that I will be forever grateful!  Spasibo Uliana and brava forever!:clapping::bow: :flowers:

Edited by Cygnet

I knew it would be very unlikely but I was holding a hope of seeing Uliana one more time this coming fall in Dying Swan at the Segerstrom Center.  It is so painful to realize that this dream will never come true. 

Best wishes to Miss Lopatkina in her post-ballet life.

9 hours ago, hiballet said:

I am not displeased to read Lopatkina is teaching a masterclass —though I could not quite figure out when this was happening or had happened — I hope she comes to do more work teaching and coaching (assuming she so wishes). She has a wealth of profound knowledge to share.... 

Edited by Drew
Typos....

Lovely...I don't know if she wants to find a more "permanent" institutional position or not, but I would love there to be a way for her knowledge of the art--and of certain roles in particular--to be shared with more dancers.

Edited by Drew