This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Swan Lake

32 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Perfect casting! T minus 1 minute!!!!!!

Half an hour into A1. They must be waltzing by now! Simkin slicing through the air. Amazing pas de trois team. Grab you bows, Siegfried & Benno! I can see it by osmosis...happy spirits! :)

Intermission update: a complete triumph for Lane in my opinion! GORGEOUS adagio in the pas de deux, with some of the best partnering I've ever seen from Simkin. Lane's face filled with pathos. Gorgeous arms and swan movements. Simkin looking so polished and mature. WOW.

Edited by fondoffouettes

WOW! That arabesque she held at stage right just as Siegfried first entered from the wings! Gorgeous!

I really tend to favor tall O/Os. (Veronika is my gold standard.) But as has been said on here before, Sarah dances LARGE. 

A truly breathtaking performance so far. Very curious to see how she handles the evil seductress.

Intermission. GORGEOUS LANE!! I'm so proud! A few bobbles, just very minor. A little tension in hand held pirouettes with Simkin. But, sooo lovely! Her Act I, she held for eternity her first arabesque in front of Simkin. Never seen anyone else do that. Oh my!

I'm actually not Sarah Lane's biggest fan, but she looks really, really excellent. :)

My biggest critique of her in the past has been that I've found her musical phrasing rather indifferent, bit that isn't at all the case so far tonight.  She's really taking her time and filling the music beautifully.  A really gorgeous performance so far.  :thumbsup:

Sarah has such a lively swan arms. Her extension is a bit lacking compared to Seo and Teuscher but I liked Sarah's port de bra the best out of 4 swans I saw this week. 

Sorry about the negatives but their pas de deux was kind of weak compared to Monday, Wednesday mat and evening couples. Well, Lendorf and Gomes are the best partners in abt so this comparison is kind of unfair!

Theor acting was good individually but as a couple they were a little bit out of sync sometimes. Then they were wonderful in some moments. It just means that they didn't have enough rehersal so I'm ok with that. I know that they can be wonderful together! 

Did I talk about Sarah's arms? She didn't have the extension that I look for in Odette but gosh her arms were to die for. It's a great debut already! 

Lane fell out of her fouettés and early but she finished with another amazingly held for an eternity arabesque. Other than that her Odile was incredible, completely in character. No sweet girl there. Complete contrast between her Odette and Odile. More later.

My quick take, with more details to follow:

A superb Odette. And a very nice partnership, which could have very likely been improved with more time to rehearse. A very good Odile, which I hope she'll have the opportunity to develop in future years. Not the overall triumph of her Giselle earlier in the season, but a strong performance.

I am going to be on pins and needles until week 8 (most likely), when promotions are announced. I really, really hope this is her year. C'mon Kevin, you've started really doing right by these female dancers; let's keep it up!

The fouettes turned into a disaster for Lane.  She started strong, with alternating two singles and a double, two singles and another double.  Then she did some singles.  However, she kept traveling forward and she was running out of space to move forward.  She then seemed to try and move sideways and lost her concentration,  falling out of the fouettes.  There was no apparent plan B.  I didn't count how many she did before this happened,- maybe 16 or 20?   Her Odette was lovely.  Simkin's solo work was impeccable.  Lendorf nearly stole the show as Purple Rothbart. 

Edited by abatt
Just now, abatt said:

The fouettes turned into a disaster for her.  She started strong, with alternating two singles and a double, two singles and another double.  Then she did some singles.  However, she kept traveling forward and she was running out of space to move forward.  She then seemed to try and move sideways and lost her concentration,  falling out of the fouettes.  There was no apparent plan B.  I didn't count how many she did before this happened, but I doubt she reached 16.   Her Odette was lovely.  Simkin's solo work was impeccable.  Lendorf nearly stole the show as Purple Rothbart. 

I was paying attention and thought she got very close to finishing all 32 counts of fouettes (with the doubles interspersed it is nearly impossible to do 32 fouettes in 32 counts).... I would say probably 26-28 counts. Not sure where you got 16?

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Lane fell out of her fouettés and early but she finished with another amazingly held for an eternity arabesque. Other than that her Odile was incredible, completely in character. No sweet girl there. Complete contrast between her Odette and Odile. More later.

This was a heartbreaking moment for me; I was really pulling for her. She started off with the single-single-double progression that many do, and then when she shifted to all singles at the halfway point I felt that Barker picked up the tempo –– or at least didn't keep it slow enough at the pace she was going (which was indeed a bit slower that usual). It seemed she was straining to keep up and that threw her off. (That may be giving Sarah too much credit; it may have been not at all Barker's fault; but before she stopped I was really wishing he would slow down to match her.)

2 minutes ago, onxmyxtoes said:

I was paying attention and thought she got very close to finishing all 32 counts of fouettes (with the doubles interspersed it is nearly impossible to do 32 fouettes in 32 counts).... I would say probably 26-28 counts. Not sure where you got 16?

Yes, I agree. She was definitely well into the singles, which traditionally (when one does the 1-1-2 progression) start at the halfway mark. I didn't get the sense that she deliberately went left to prevent herself from dropping into the pit; she had plenty of space. I think the traveling was unintentional.

Just now, canbelto said:

I'll write more later but I thought she got to 24 ... (Yeah I was counting ...)

But the worst was the defeated look she had after her fouettes. Odile is supposed to be dripping with smug glee, but Sarah looked visibly shaken.

Yes, you could tell during the whole rest of the coda that she was upset by what had happened. That's what made it so heartbreaking for me.

But she came back and danced a gorgeous Act IV.

8 minutes ago, onxmyxtoes said:

Yeah, I mean, it was an abrupt and startling ending to the sequence, but there wasn't all that much music left (just enough time for her to do a beautiful arabesque and hold it for quite a while, which was impressive since she must have been frazzled by how her fouettes ended.) No time for a back-up plan to go into effect because she was already so close to the end. Kudos to her for throwing in that beautiful arabesque and holding it to bide her time before Simkin came out. 

I agree with canbelto and nanunshka -- it was heartbreaking that it couldn't be a moment of triumph for her.

Edited by fondoffouettes
2 minutes ago, abatt said:

It just seemed like there was a  lot of fouette music left when she stopped.  Perhaps time just stood still as I contemplated the potential impact of what had just happened. 

I had a similar reaction, but I think there was less music than it felt like there was. I was so struck with disappointment that I didn't even see the arabesque she held, which ABT Fan mentioned above (and my companion commented on as well)!

She did many many single single doubles and the tempo did get faster but she used up

all the music and kind of slid to the left wing. When Simkin grabbed her he underspun

her pirouettes so she was a bit lopsided. But they recovered fast and finished strong. So

it was only those couple minutes that they need to rehearse for next time.