This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Corsaire

2 minutes ago, abatt said:

I also enjoyed Skylar's performance last night, as well as the rest of the cast.   I hope her performances as Medora lead to additional future lead roles for her.  As noted above, her technique is very strong. 

Yes, yes, yes to future leading roles for Skylar! Not only is her technique strong, but to use ABT Fan's phrase above, I believe she also has the "it" factor. Remember that Cirio was a principal dancer at Boston Ballet for some years before joining ABT, so had already been dancing leading roles. Medora was Skylar's first leading role, learning it in three days, and she was a phenomenal success.

10 minutes ago, angelica said:

Yes, yes, yes to future leading roles for Skylar! Not only is her technique strong, but to use ABT Fan's phrase above, I believe she also has the "it" factor. Remember that Cirio was a principal dancer at Boston Ballet for some years before joining ABT, so had already been dancing leading roles. Medora was Skylar's first leading role, learning it in three days, and she was a phenomenal success.

I agree Brandt possesses that as well. But, since I feel that a few of the other principals do NOT have "it" and they have danced leading roles for years already, I think Cirio and Brandt demonstrate to me anyway that you either have "it" or you don't. Experience doesn't equate star power or aura. 

10 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I agree Brandt possesses that as well. But, since I feel that a few of the other principals do NOT have "it" and they have danced leading roles for years already, I think Cirio and Brandt demonstrate to me anyway that you either have "it" or you don't. Experience doesn't equate star power or aura. 

Yes, that's true, ABT Fan, although experience does refine the technique and raises the star power (although if Skylar raises it anymore the Met ceiling will have to be raised as well). Do you think any other soloists have that star power? I believe that Sarah Lane showed it in her performance of Giselle with Cornejo, and that Cassandra Trenary and Christine Shevchenko may have it too. Need to see them in full-length ballets. Will be seeing Teuscher on Wednesday. 

I started watching ballet at the MET as back as 2001-(when I came from Cuba)' and back then the roster was impressive. Right now no so much-(and I don't think Murphy will dance too much longer)-, so I stopped looking at casting announcements and instead just come for whatever comes. Last night was a surprise indeed with Brandt, so let's see what the future holds for her. 

On the other hand....Le Corsaire is quite a silly story. At least in Giselle and Swan Lake we can still embody the characters' misadventures, as they are quite ever present in human life-(the idea of catching a lover cheating is always a nightmare for must of us...just as with Giselle, and I'm sure we all have been through it). Medora, Conrad and the whole pirates business not so much. It feels quite detached from real life, so unless you have a magnificent production a la Bolshoi, the ballet looks quite bare. ABT's production is aging already...so that's a contributing factor that plays against a pre-conditioned loving eye to it. 

As a side note. I wonder how much longer the little sequence of the ridicule made of Seyd Pasha's muslim pray will last, given our present circumstances.

1 hour ago, angelica said:

Yes, that's true, ABT Fan, although experience does refine the technique and raises the star power (although if Skylar raises it anymore the Met ceiling will have to be raised as well). Do you think any other soloists have that star power? I believe that Sarah Lane showed it in her performance of Giselle with Cornejo, and that Cassandra Trenary and Christine Shevchenko may have it too. Need to see them in full-length ballets. Will be seeing Teuscher on Wednesday. 

I think Teuscher has IT as well.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts after Wednesday's matinee.

Yes - Lane, no doubt, and Shevchenko (I saw all 3 of her Myrta's - wow). I haven't seen Teuscher's O/O and will miss it next week as I have to work. I have seen her in soloist roles, but I haven't seen her in anything yet this season. I think Trenary is on the cusp.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Yes - Lane, no doubt, and Shevchenko (I saw all 3 of her Myrta's - wow). I haven't seen Teuscher's O/O and will miss it next week as I have to work. I have seen her in soloist roles, but I haven't seen her in anything yet this season. I think Trenary is on the cusp.

There is something so exciting about following the trajectory of a ballet dancer's career from their initial performances in ABT2 or in the corps, through their rise to soloists, and hopefully into the limelight. Somehow they become a part of your life (or mine, speaking for myself). Once I see them in a studio rehearsal, I feel that I know them, which of course isn't factually true, but I love the feeling.

Carrie Imler in her 1995 School Performance.  I haven't looked back since.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have to figure out how to get to Charlotte before Severin-Hansen retires.  Too many dancers, too little time (off) and cash.

24 minutes ago, Helene said:

Too many dancers, too little time (off) and cash.

So true, Helene. So much more of everything and too little time to keep up. I haven't done a whole lot today besides keep up with the current threads on Ballet Alert!

So true, Helene. So much more of everything and too little time to keep up. I haven't done a whole lot today besides keep up with the current threads on Ballet Alert!

Isn't this exactly what Fridays in June were made for?

13 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

At the ballet right now...and totally unaware of this other name...Shevchenko. She's dancing Medora instead of an injured Murphy. Let's see.

You clearly haven't been keeping up with the board – she's having a really big season! Kitris and Myrthas, in particular. Enjoy, and let us know what you think! I'm seeing her tomorrow, stepping in for Part.

Shevchenko= STAR!   What a sensational performance from her and the entire cast tonight.  Christine came through tonight with colors flying.  Rapport with Lendorf was A Plus.  Terrific together.  Daniil out did himself as Ali and Stella was also lovely.   This was my only "Corsaire" this season, but I left the theater with a huge smile on my face.  Brava, Christine!

7 hours ago, nanushka said:

You clearly haven't been keeping up with the board – she's having a really big season! Kitris and Myrthas, in particular. Enjoy, and let us know what you think! I'm seeing her tomorrow, stepping in for Part.

Yo're right.  I haven't keeping up with the posts on this season.  Tonight's Corsaire was also very enjoyable, and Shevchenko was up to all her character's technical challenges.  No falling off pointe or any other visible mistakes.  Now...tonight it was Simkin who really made it memorable. His Ali was full of tricks, particularly his set of revoltades/540.  He got many gasps, including mine. I also liked Abrera's demure Gulnare, as well as Lendorf's  Conrad, although he was clearly obscured by Simkin during the pdd a trois.

More Corsaire tomorrow! ;-)

13 minutes ago, mimsyb said:

Shevchenko= STAR!   What a sensational performance from her and the entire cast tonight.  Christine came through tonight with colors flying.  Rapport with Lendorf was A Plus.  Terrific together.  Daniil out did himself as Ali and Stella was also lovely.   This was my only "Corsaire" this season, but I left the theater with a huge smile on my face.  Brava, Christine!

I totally agree with you, mimsyb, it was a spectacular show!!  "Le Corsaire" is far from my favorite ballet, but I think I might have to go back tomorrow, just to see Shevchenko again!  

In a night full of technical feats, perhaps what impressed me the most was a small moment in the middle of the Act III jardin anime scene--near the back in the fountain, Shevchenko held an attitude balance and then slowly lowered her free leg into fifth position on pointe.  That requires a tremendous amount of control!

I was also really impressed by the chemistry between Shevchenko and Lendorf.  They had some issues with the supported pirouettes in their first Don Q outing, but they have solved all their problems since then.  Lendorf whipped her around for a super-fast pirouette that drew applause from the audience.

During the Act II p.d.t., Shevchenko was so lyrical and beautiful that I found myself wishing I'd get to see her in "Swan Lake," and during the bedroom p.d.d., I started thinking I'd like to see her in "Romeo & Juliet" too.

Huge congrats to Shevchenko, and bravo for the whole cast!

Program for Friday doesn't give Waski one of the Odalesques.  Melanie Hamrick was clean and lovely as the first Odalesque.  Since her return she seems to be dancing better than ever before with a new found joy to her dancing.  Always a pleasure.  Lauren Post was a bit off and muddied a few things in her variation.  She doesn't display lovely foot articulation as the others do.  In the third variation, Giangeruso held up her end of the trio, but still to my eye NO ONE does that diagonal line of arabesque into piroette like Renata Pavam used to do.  What a joy that was to watch!!  I continue to miss her presence on stage, especially at times like this.   And I also noticed that Nicole Graniero is back in the line up.  She danced in the "orange" section of the JArdin Anime'.  She's also listed in the program on the main page.  I know last year she came in during the last few weeks of the season, so wonder if this is something she'll be doing in addition to her job with Washington Ballet.  She's another one I miss seeing a lot.  With so many new faces, it's sometimes hard to keep track, but it's always a pleasure when one or two of the "old guard" come through with shining colors.   The "newbies" can learn a lot from these ladies.

2 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I am debating in between Seo's matinee and Shevchenko's evening for today. I don't want to do a double. Not for Corsaire anyhow...

For me, that is not even a question!

I saw Seo on Tuesday (not by choice), and while her dancing was fine (i.e., no obvious mistakes; no falling out of the Italian fouettes), her characterization was extraordinarily dull.  Admittedly, her bedroom p.d.d. with Stearns was pretty, but that's about all I can say in her favor.

If you haven't already decided, I'd definitely recommend seeing Shevchenko again!

3 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I am debating in between Seo's matinee and Shevchenko's evening for today. I don't want to do a double. Not for Corsaire anyhow...

Shevchenko!!!!  I saw her on Wednesday and Friday, and she was gorgeous in the role.  If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought she was a seasoned principal who'd been dancing the role for years!

3 hours ago, nana said:

Today technical deficiency of Seo was obvious. 

I didn't see the performance today, but would like to comment on Seo in general. I've seen her in a lot of roles (many substituting for dancers who were out). She is a beautiful women with a lovely body. She has technical limitations that IMO a principal dancer should not have UNLESS that dancer has a unique artistry to offer. Of course, some people see artistry where other's do not but I will offer Ferri as an example. I am old enough to have seen her back in the day. Her technical weaknesses were always there. There were many times when she came off pointe, missed a turn etc. however, dramatically she made statements that were true and touched the heart, so she more than justified her position as principal dancer. In Seo I see technical weaknesses and nothing unique in terms of artistry. She's not a "get the job done" kind of dancer or a special artist IMO.

As an aside, I don't enjoy Ferri's performances now because the scales have tilted in one direction too much for my taste. Others might differ.