This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SF Ballet Announces 2017–18 Roster

Best of luck to the dancers. Millepied has money for the company right now, so hopefully he can keep the ball rolling.

Dancers in LA have as difficult a time making a living as dancers in SF - if Millepied can offer decent salaries for his artistic staff, then people will come.

Adding to something I wrote earlier: Ana Sophia Scheller mentioned on Instagram that she has been taking classes with Magaly Suarez (Taras Domitro's mother) and Ibis Montoto in Florida. So there is once again a Cuban connection in all of this. SFB loses a number of Cuban dancers, but gains a principal with ties to Suarez and Domitros.

I was on the English National Ballet website to check about Madison Keesler's rank at ENB - it was First Artist. That may sound pretty good but ENB has a fussy hierarchy of ranks:

Lead Principals
Principals
First Soloists
Soloists
Junior Soloists
First Artists
Artists of the Company
Guest Artists (Maria Kochetkova being one of them)
Character Artists

Is it just me or does this seem anal-retentive?

Edited by pherank
14 hours ago, pherank said:

Adding to something I wrote earlier: Ana Sophia Scheller mentioned on Instagram that she has been taking classes with Magaly Suarez (Taras Domitro's mother) and Ibis Montoto in Florida. So there is once again a Cuban connection in all of this. SFB loses a number of Cuban dancers, but gains a principal with ties to Suarez and Domitros.

I was on the English National Ballet website to check about Madison Keesler's rank at ENB - it was First Artist. That may sound pretty good but ENB has a fussy hierarchy of ranks:

Lead Principals
Principals
First Soloists
Soloists
Junior Soloists
First Artists
Artists of the Company
Guest Artists (Maria Kochetkova being one of them)
Character Artists

Is it just me or does this seem anal-retentive?

Thank you for this pherank lol. I must admit i have thought the same. Sometimes when I look at what Paris is doing I feel the same. Its all a bit much somehow.

Edited by JumpFrog
layout
On 6/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, JumpFrog said:

Thank you for this pherank lol. I must admit i have thought the same. Sometimes when I look at what Paris is doing I feel the same. Its all a bit much somehow.

I don't get the need for such a detailed hierarchy - just think how an "Artist of the Company" must feel: "It's going to take forever to be a Lead Principal, even if I have the talent!"

So why would Madison Keesler return to the SFB Corps? Probably because advancement didn't look doable at ENB. I imagine she was dancing the same demi-soloist roles she would be performing at SFB, but a somewhat different repertoire. A great experience, nonetheless.

There's a nice long article on the Fjord website about Isabella Walsh, who was just promoted from SFB trainee to the Corps:

https://www.fjordreview.com/in-frame-isabella-walsh/?utm_source=Fjord+Review&utm_campaign=0a94a198df-June_46_1_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_537ad25614-0a94a198df-140216153

“What’s really different is in the school you have people looking out for you, watching you progress and giving you constant corrections. All of that goes away instantly when you join the company. No one’s babysitting you; you may not even get a correction daily.”

For the astute apprentice dancer, it’s a process of watch and learn. “You have to find a different eye for yourself. You look around in the company, with so many beautiful artists, and you should take from them. I’m a tall dancer, so I study what the tall dancers do and apply it myself.”

As for dancers to look up to, there is no shortage of role models at SFB. Principal dancer Sofiane Sylve gets a nod in particular. “I look up to her for everything. She’s a perfect technician, perfect artist. Everything’s always spot on.”

Isabella-Walsh-2-Karolina-Kuras.jpg?fit=

Edited by pherank