This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Golden Cockerel - Spring 2017

I'm torn on whether to go see this tomorrow.  I didn't see it last year, and it might not come back anytime soon, so it may be my only chance.  But part of me wants to have  lazy weekend without trekking in to NY.

2 hours ago, Kaysta said:

I'm torn on whether to go see this tomorrow.  I didn't see it last year, and it might not come back anytime soon, so it may be my only chance.  But part of me wants to have  lazy weekend without trekking in to NY.

We missed GC last year too, and based on the mediocre reviews we had no plans to see it this year.  However, we decided to give it a try tomorrow.  I think you're right about it not coming back anytime soon.  Have a great time if you decide to see it as well. 

Spring season is our favorite ballet season with our two favorite companies performing (NYCB and ABT of course), so like many on here, we are always on ballet overload this time of year.  I asked my husband if he wanted to see GC tomorrow, or just take a rest from ballet for the weekend, and he said how much rest do we need, it’s ballet season!  So we decided to see it tomorrow.  It is Ratmansky after all, and we certainly don’t want to go into ballet withdrawal!  Then on to the Corsaires! 

I went to yesterday’s matinee performance of GC led by Abrera, Trenary and Whiteside.  As has already been noted by abatt, it was not heavy on classical ballet, however we went in with that knowledge and mindset.  It probably helped knowing that in advance, as we thoroughly enjoyed the performance.  As was probably noted last year, the costumes and sets were very striking.

Trenary was sensational as the Golden Cockerel.  I loved her leg and arm movements, and especially her staccato behaviors of a cockerel.  It was quite humorous watching her being stroked as if she really were a bird!  Stella was exquisite as the Queen, however I found the choreography a bit repetitive.  Cirio and Gorak were very good as the brothers, with Gorak’s role being a bit goofy.   Whiteside seemed to really be enjoying himself as the Astrologer, and it was fun to watch him in a different type of role. 

I’m so glad that we finally got to see the production before it goes on hiatus.  Plus we got there a bit early and had time to walk around the crafts festival. 

41 minutes ago, NinaFan said:

Stella was exquisite as the Queen, however I found the choreography a bit repetitive.

She is like Scheherezade, trying to save her kingdom by keeping him distracted.  This King, though, is a dim bulb, and wouldn't remember yesterday, let alone two days ago, if he had cue cards.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

She is like Scheherezade, trying to save her kingdom by keeping him distracted.  This King, though, is a dim bulb, and wouldn't remember yesterday, let alone two days ago, if he had cue cards.

Yes exactly!  And she certainly kept him distracted. I love your analogy.

2 hours ago, Helene said:

Oh snap!