This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 promotions prediction/wish list

In addition to promotions, I hope Kochetkova's contract doesn't get renewed. I don't wish any ill on an injured dancer, but if there's anything this season showed, it's that there are technically sound (and short) dancers within ABT's ranks that can be partnered by Cornejo and Simkin. Kochetkova doesn't bring enough artistry to the table to justify her place at ABT, in my opinion.

Edited by fondoffouettes
23 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

In addition to promotions, I hope Kochetkova's contract doesn't get renewed. I don't wish any ill on an injured dancer, but if there's anything this season showed, it's that there are technically sound (and short) dancers within ABT's ranks that can be partnered by Cornejo and Simkin. Kochetkova doesn't bring enough artistry to the table to justify her place at ABT, in my opinion.

Ah but she does have that Russian name, which is may be a selling point.

I often wonder if Veronika Part's career would be different if she'd been an -ova.

Edited by nanushka
32 minutes ago, bingham said:

Zhong jing Fang, Paulina Waski and April Giangeruso for soloist. More principal parts for T Forster and soloist parts for Grey Davis.

I couldn't agree more, Bingham! I'd add Lane and Schevchenko for Principal, Royal and Shayer for Soloist. I guess that we'll find out in a week or so...during the Tchaikovsky Spectaculars!

I hope that there are no departures.

1 hour ago, fondoffouettes said:

Soloist to Principal:

[...]

Likely: Shevchenko (She rose to the challenge, and then some, in Don Q and Corsaire.); Teuscher (She nailed Swan Lake, but I wonder if they will wait for her to carry another full-length before promoting her.)

Shevchenko and Teuscher would seem a bit premature to me –– though I agree they are headed in that direction, and I hope they get there in another year or two –– so I'd put them more under "Possible" than "Likely."

Edited by nanushka
11 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Shevchenko and Teuscher would seem a bit premature to me –– though I agree they are headed in that direction, and I hope they get there in another year or two –– so I'd put them more under "Possible" than "Likely."

I agree. Shevchenko has had a big year, but this season is the first time she's tackled principal roles, and she did an amazing job from what I understand (I only saw her Myrta's, but all three of them). I think she needs another year (by that I'm not saying I think she'll tank, just that I'd like to see her have a bit more experience first, take on another full-length or two). Teuscher, Brandt and Trenary all have principal potential but they need more experience as well (Brandt/Trenary are really young as well - about 23/24).

I think the promotions are decided and affirmed at the board of directors meeting.  Those meetings usually take place at the end of a business quarter, which would be around June 30. Thus, I think any decisions will already have been made before Shevchenko performs Mozartiana.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Teuscher, Brandt and Trenary all have principal potential but they need more experience as well (Brandt/Trenary are really young as well - about 23/24).

I wouldn't mind if ABT got back in the habit of promoting dancers by their mid-20s, though. Murphy was promoted to principal at 23; Gomes at 22 (though nearly 23); Cornejo at 22; Simkin at 24; Hallberg at 24; Seo at 26; and Stearns at about 26. 

Shevchenko and Teuscher are both already 28. I won't go into all the reasons that have kept dancers from developing at ABT (since they've already been discussed in depth in these forums), but I'd rather see those two dancers get their shot at principal sooner rather than later. I agree that Brandt and Trenary could use another season or two, but please don't make them wait until they are 30...

Edited by fondoffouettes
7 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I wouldn't mind if ABT got back in the habit of promoting dancers by their mid-20s, though. Murphy was promoted to principal at 23; Gomes at 22 (though nearly 23); Cornejo at 22; Simkin at 24; Hallberg at 24; Seo at 26; and Stearns at about 26... I agree that Brandt and Trenary could use another season or two, but please don't make them wait until they are 30...

Absolutely...Dancers come into their prime in their mid-twenties. 

3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I wouldn't mind if ABT got back in the habit of promoting dancers by their mid-20s, though. Murphy was promoted to principal at 23; Gomes at 22 (though nearly 23); Cornejo at 22; Simkin at 24; Hallberg at 24; Seo at 26; and Stearns at about 26. 

Shevchenko and Teuscher are both already 28. I won't go into all the reasons that have kept dancers from developing at ABT (since they've already been discussed in depth in these forums), but I'd rather see those two dancers get their shot at principal sooner rather than later. I agree that Brandt and Trenary could use another season or two, but please don't make them wait until they are 30...

I wouldn't mind that either, if said dancer(s) have had enough experience by then. (I won't go into that discussion either, as I think that's been talked about quite a bit already.) I don't want to see any more dancers languish and get promoted like Abrera did at the age of 37 (better late than never in her case, but good grief).

Given how many opportunities these female soloists have been given (and to me it's looks obvious they're been groomed for promotion down the road) I can't imagine they'd make them wait several years. However, it also depends on when current principals retire as I doubt they can promote Lane, Shevchenko, Teuscher, Brandt and Trenary in quick succession without room being made. Of course, Vishneva just left. We know that Part is scaling back as has been discussed on another thread so she may be retiring soon (I imagine in a year or two); Murphy and Abrera are 39. So, we'll see. But, I still doubt that Brandt/Trenary will have to wait until they're 30. 

McKenzie seems to be interested in seniority and diversity.  Although Hammoudi is not anyone's idea of a great dancer, he may just get the promotion. Hallberg, Gomes and Bolle are simply not able to carry a big workload anymore.  There is a chronic lack of tall men available at the principal level. Stearns and Whiteside can't do it by themselves.

Lane should be promoted too. 

Stone Shayer and Royal need to get out of the corps, ASAP.  I

Edited by abatt
10 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Isn't Calvin Royal fairly tall? He could be a good choice to develop as another tall partner. He has the lines too for the prince roles.

Yes, I think he is. At least, he has the proportions of a tall dancer. They may not be able to wait long enough to groom him, though, since he's only had a few leading roles and never in a full-length. I fear Hammoudi may get the nod in the meantime.

23 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Isn't Calvin Royal fairly tall? He could be a good choice to develop as another tall partner. He has the lines too for the prince roles.

11 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Yes, I think he is. At least, he has the proportions of a tall dancer. They may not be able to wait long enough to groom him, though, since he's only had a few leading roles and never in a full-length. I fear Hammoudi may get the nod in the meantime.

He's kind of leaning forward a bit in this pic, but his height looks somewhat comparable to Bolle's, maybe an inch or so shorter:

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 hours ago, nanushka said:

Ah but she does have that Russian name, which is may be a selling point.

I often wonder if Veronika Part's career would be different if she'd been an -ova.

Uhm.. That is an interesting thought.  But it doesn't explain the success of Vishneva. Some comments on this forum make me believe that it is thanks to the fans of Misty Copeland and residents of Brighton Beach that ABT stays afloat.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

McKenzie seems to be interested in seniority and diversity.  Although Hammoudi is not anyone's idea of a great dancer, he may just get the promotion. Hallberg, Gomes and Bolle are simply not able to carry a big workload anymore.  There is a chronic lack of tall men available at the principal level. Stearns and Whiteside can't do it by themselves.

Lane should be promoted too. 

Stone Shayer and Royal need to get out of the corps, ASAP.  I

Please don't forget Thomas Forster! He's tall, has a beautiful ballet line, and fine acting skills. I think he can be groomed to be a prince.

Edited by angelica
14 minutes ago, angelica said:

Please don't forget Thomas Forster! He's tall, has a beautiful ballet line, and fine acting skills. I think he can be groomed to be a prince.

Yes indeedy. I keep wondering when his career is going to get some traction. Not that Forster is a Balanchine dancer, but I can't help but go ... Hmmmm, I wonder if ? ... when I cast my eye across the plaza to the theater brimming with tall ballerina talent. 

36 minutes ago, nanushka said:

It's there in the Russian pronunciation, though!  :lol:

Diana Vishneva's name in Russian is spelled with a ё which is different from -o or even -yo.  But that was not my point.  I simply tried to object to the notion that the  Russian-speaking audience would only support ballerinas whose names end with -ova. But maybe I misunderstood and you referred to those ballet goers who stuck in the era when ballerinas found it beneficial to russify their names. 

15 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Diana Vishneva's name in Russian is spelled with a ё which is different from -o or even -yo.  But that was not my point.  I simply tried to object to the notion that the  Russian-speaking audience would only support ballerinas whose names end with -ova. But maybe I misunderstood and you referred to those ballet goers who stuck in the era when ballerinas found it beneficial to russify their names. 

My initial point was a speculation (somewhat facetious, but not completely) that perhaps certain ballet-goers –– whether Russian-speaking or not –– are drawn to names that sound distinctly Russian. Kochetkova and Vishneva fall into that category; Part does not (and in fact is not a traditionally Russian name, I believe –– I forget her father's background). Even today, among certain ballet-goers, there is a certain veneration given to Russian dancers, especially female. My saying "if she'd been an -ova" was meant to refer to that. I did not mean to leave out -evas or any other Russian-sounding variants. It was a point about perceptions, not spellings.

I recall reading elsewhere on Ballet Alert that the end of Vishneva's name was properly pronounced -nyova (approximately –– not trying to be phonetically exact here!), but perhaps that was incorrect.

Edited by nanushka