This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2017 Summer/Fall

There's no word yet about any International tours, short or otherwise, but I have a feeling that Tomasson is going to give his dancers a long rest period after an intense season. And Helgi now has his work cut out for him replacing retirees.

For people in the Bay Area, SFB will be participating in the following popular events:

Friday, July 21, 2017
Festival Napa Valley

Napa Valley Performing Arts Center at Lincoln Center

SF Ballet returns to Festival Napa Valley for one performance only on
Friday, July 21, 2017, accompanied by members of the SF Ballet Orchestra. The Company will perform a mix of contemporary and classical works.

Sunday, July 30, 2017
Stern Grove Festival

19th Avenue and Sloat, San Francisco

SF Ballet will give their annual Stern Grove Festival performance on Sunday, July 30, 2017, accompanied by members of the SF Ballet Orchestra. The Company will perform a mix of contemporary and classical works.

I do know that this just happened:

"4 premiers dancers of San-Francisco Ballet will perform Variations for two couples, the Benois winner piece" at the Bolshoi Theater in Moscow. Three of the dancers were Lauren Strongin, Joseph Walsh and Dores Andre.

(Benois de la Danse Stars in a Quarter of a Century Gala)

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/9000/

"The jubilee gala on May 30 will be opened by Joseph Walsh, the premier of the San Francisco Ballet, and Victoria Jaiani from the Joffrey Ballet in Chicago, who last year performed the duet from Lan Lubovitch’s Otello alongside Fabrice Calmel. Victoria and Joseph will animate the sculpture of Benois de la Danse: they will present a miniature choreographed by Yuri Possokhov to the music by Ilya Demutsky, who have conceived this duet as a gift to the jubilee of Benois." http://benois.theatre.ru/english/history/2017/

Reaction from Strongin and Walsh:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUvWJBmABgT/?taken-by=josephwalshsf

Congratulations to the dancers on their Bolshoi debut, and maybe first time on a raked stage for Walsh and Strongin.  ;)

Edited by pherank

Mathilde Froustey has spent her injury rehabilitation period founding an artist space, called La Maison, in Oakland, California:

"An artist-run initiative, venue and residency that provides a free space for artists of all practices to meet, collaborate, perform and exhibit."

At the La Maison inauguration party, Froustey and Sarah Cecilia danced a short piece choreographed by former SFB soloist Dana Genshaft (now a teacher at the SFB school, teaching Contemporary and Conditioning).

And she recently danced in a fashion show for designer Yuka Uehara:
Tokyo Gamine Stages Chic Ballet Fashion Show at Pia the Store
http://hauteliving.com/2017/05/tokyo-gamine-pia-trunk-show-spring-2017/636667/

0844-PIAxTokyo-170523.jpg

Edited by pherank

I knew that I adored Froustey as a dancer after seeing her work her magic onstage but I can't help but feel enormous respect for her as a person as I read this. I think an injury when your craft is your own body must be just awful and to come back stronger and actually give back as part of the healing process wow. 

4 minutes ago, JumpFrog said:

I knew that I adored Froustey as a dancer after seeing her work her magic onstage but I can't help but feel enormous respect for her as a person as I read this. I think an injury when your craft is your own body must be just awful and to come back stronger and actually give back as part of the healing process wow. 

I like that she didn't roll up into a ball of misery during the season, while others danced - she went crazy with her own projects. The woman is a force of nature.

I've figured out from a post by Dores André that the other SFB dancer at the Bolshoi was Carlo Di Lanno. Dores wrote:

Dance (and not fall) at the Bolshoi raked stage ....CHECK✔️

Good job!  ;)

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:29 PM, pherank said:

Friday, July 21, 2017

Festival Napa Valley
Napa Valley Performing Arts Center at Lincoln Center

SF Ballet returns to Festival Napa Valley for one performance only on
Friday, July 21, 2017, accompanied by members of the SF Ballet Orchestra. The Company will perform a mix of contemporary and classical works.

Program and casting for the Napa performance has been posted (https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting)

FESTIVAL NAPA VALLEY

Friday, July 21, 2017 - 6 pm

WITHIN THE GOLDEN HOUR©
Composer: Ezio Bosso and Antonio Vivaldi
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Conductor: Martin West

Mathilde Froustey, Joseph Walsh
Sarah Van Patten, Luke Ingham
Maria Kochetkova, Vitor Luiz

PAS DE DEUX FROM AGON
Composer: Igor Stravinsky
Choreographer: George Balanchine

Sofiane Sylve, Carlo Di Lanno*

CONCERTO GROSSO
Composer: Francesco Geminiani after Corelli
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Violin I: Cordula Merks
Violin II: Craig Reiss
Viola: Yi Zhou
Cello: Eric Sung

Esteban Hernandez, Wei Wang, Jaime Garcia Castilla, Max Cauthorn, Lonnie Weeks

PAS DE DEUX FROM ACT II OF SWAN LAKE
Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky 
Violin: Cordula Merks
Cello: Eric Sung

Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

"BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY (OF COMPANY B)" FROM COMPANY B
Music: Sung by The Andrews Sisters
Choreographer: Paul Taylor

Joseph Walsh

PAS DE DEUX FROM FLAMES OF PARIS
Composer: Boris Assafiev
Choreographer: Vassili Vainonen

Frances Chung, Angelo Greco

Program and casting for the Stern Grove performance Sunday 7/30 (https://www.sfballet.org/season/casting):

STERN GROVE FESTIVAL

Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 2 pm

HAFFNER SYMPHONY
Composer: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Sasha De Sola, Angelo Greco

Pas de Deux from AGON
Composer: Igor Stravinsky
Choreographer: George Balanchine

Sofiane Sylve, Carlo Di Lanno

Pas de Deux from BELLS
Composer: Sergei Rachmaninov
Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov
Pianist: Mungunchimeg Buriad

Yuan Yuan Tan, Vitor Luiz

CONCERTO GROSSO
Composer: Francesco Geminiani after Corelli

Esteban Hernandez, Wei Wang, Jaime Garcia Castilla, Max Cauthorn, Lonnie Weeks

“BOOGIE WOOGIE BUGLE BOY (OF COMPANY B)” from COMPANY B
Composer: Sung by The Andrews Sisters
Choreographer: Paul Taylor

Joseph Walsh

WITHIN THE GOLDEN HOUR©
Composer: Ezio Bosso and Antonio Vivaldi
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon

Mathilde Froustey, Myles Thatcher
Sarah Van Patten, Luke Ingham
Maria Kochetkova, Vitor Luiz

Of all the festival pairings, I think Chung with Greco is the most interesting one. I hope that proved to be an inspired choice. (It's now a given that the pairing of Sylve and Di Lanno will be riveting.)

SFB has announced that Ballet Master Felipe Diaz is now (also) an Assistant to the Artistic Director.

Edited by pherank

Much of the above Dance Magazine interview with Wonder Woman can be read online:

http://www.dancemagazine.com/sofiane-sylve-2472967800.html

Sofiane Sylve doesn't mince words. "If you are just going through the motions," she says to her trainee class at the San Francisco Ballet School, "we might as well stay home."

The veteran SFB principal is famed as much for her directness as for her exquisite technique, astonishing interpretive range and captivating stage presence. "I don't do average," she says in an interview at SFB headquarters, across a tree-lined street from the War Memorial Opera House. "If somebody has made the effort to come and sit in the audience, I'm going to give everything I have. There is no holding back."

I liked this statement, "Sylve, who hopes to become an artistic director herself, has found a satisfying outlet in teaching".

I've said before that I would like to see her as an A.D. But what company will provide this opportunity? SFB has two men 'assisting' Tomasson - waiting in the wings, for the position. Se is going to need some management mentoring.

Edited by pherank
7 hours ago, Josette said:

In the past few months, Aaron Robison has danced Song of the Earth and Romeo to Jurgita Dronina's Juliet in Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet in his first season with the English National Ballet.   He seems to have found his right place. 

Aaron is a Lead Principal at ENB so he gets to dance all the good stuff. ;)

But to be fair to SFB, he would have had his pick from among 24 ballets in the 2018 season. 12 of them brand new. That's not really a lame offering. I think he's just happy to be back in England though.

I don't fault Madison Keesler for leaving ENB - she was too far down the ladder to get the kind of opportunities that Aaron now receives.

Edited by pherank
24 minutes ago, pherank said:

Aaron is a Lead Principal at ENB so he gets to dance all the good stuff. ;)

But to be fair to SFB, he would have had his pick form among 24 ballets in the 2018 season. 12 of them brand new. That's not really a lame offering. I think he's just happy to be back in England though.

I don't fault Madison Keesler for leaving ENB - she was too far down the ladder to get the kind of opportunities that Aaron now receives.

Madison was chosen by choreographer Akram Khan to dance for several performances the lead in his Giselle, which was a huge honor and responsibility. I am looking forward to seeing her again on stage in SF.  

I selfishly wish that Aaron were still at SFB for another year because I found him exhilarating on stage.  He has a beautiful, finished technique and a spontaneous quality.   I wouldn't doubt for a moment what you state as to his being happy to be back in England. 

1 hour ago, Josette said:

Madison was chosen by choreographer Akram Khan to dance for several performances the lead in his Giselle, which was a huge honor and responsibility. I am looking forward to seeing her again on stage in SF.  

I selfishly wish that Aaron were still at SFB for another year because I found him exhilarating on stage.  He has a beautiful, finished technique and a spontaneous quality.   I wouldn't doubt for a moment what you state as to his being happy to be back in England. 

I got the feeling that he was liked well enough by staff and the other dancers, so I don't think there were "personality" issues. It was just unfortunate timing for SFB that he got such a tempting offer. He did mention the expense of living in SF (a problem for everyone not of the 1%).

I hadn't seen this Erik Tomasson photo before - posted by Aaron (shown with WanTing Zhao). Yowza!

21827517_757538831100262_154395227088066

Some excellent long photo series by photographer Jack Devant of SFB dancers:

Dores Andre, Joseph Walsh, Lauren Strongin and Carlo Di Lanno in Variations for Two Couples

Benois de la Danse 2017, Brilliant Quarter of Century, shot in the Bolshoi Theatre, Moscow on 31.5.2017

https://www.jackdevant.com/dores-andre-joseph-walsh-lauren-strongin-and-carlo-di-lanno-in-variations-for-two-couples/

Yuan Yuan Tan and Davit Karapetyan in The Bells
Music by Sergei Rachmaninoff, choreography by Yuri Possokhov. Dance Open 2017 Gala, shot 24.4.2017 in the Alexandrinsky Theatre, St Petersburg, Russia.

https://www.jackdevant.com/yuan-yuan-tan-and-davit-karapetyan-in-the-bells/

Yuan Yuan Tan and Davit Karapetyan in Finding Light
Music by Antonio Vivaldi, choreography by Edwaard Liang. Dance Open 2017 Gala, shot 24.4.2017 in the Alexandrinsky Theatre, St Petersburg, Russia.

https://www.jackdevant.com/yuan-yuan-tan-and-davit-karapetyan-in-finding-light/

Maria Kochetkova and Sebastian Kloborg in the Swimmer (Lolita scene)
Music by Tom Waits, choreography by Yuri Possokhov. Dance Open 2017 Gala, shot 24.4.2017 in the Alexandrinsky Theatre, St Petersburg, Russia.

https://www.jackdevant.com/maria-kochetkova-and-sebastian-kloborg-in-the-swimmer-lolita/

Maria Kochetkova in Styx
Shot in the State Kremlin Palace (Moscow, Russia) on 15.10.2016, Kremlin Ballet Gala 2016.

https://www.jackdevant.com/maria-kochetkova-in-styx/

Joseph Walsh has been appointed John and Barbara Osterweis Principal Dancer in 2017. Congratulations to Joe - he is very deserving of sponsorship.

And FINALLY!!!
Sofiane Sylve has been appointed Diane B. Wilsey Principal Dancer in 2017. I'm so glad this finally happened.
[Vanessa Zahorian (now retired) was formerly a Diane B. Wilsey Principal Dancer.]

Angelo Greco has been dancing with Rebecca Bianchi in Don Quixote at the Teatro Dell'Opera di Roma. On Instagram he credits Eleonora Abbagnato for inviting him to perform - I'm not exactly certain if she is now the acting A.D. for dance productions, or what exactly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb-G7KcHH2u/?taken-by=_angelogreco_

http://www.operaroma.it/en/shows/don-chisciotte/

This information on the ballet production made me laugh:
Choreography Laurent Hilaire
inspired by original version for the American Ballet Theatre by Mikhail Baryshnikov
after Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky
Choreographer collaborator Yury Vasilkov
Assistant Choreographers Patricia Ruanne and Gillian Whittingham

37 minutes ago, pherank said:

On Instagram he credits Eleonora Abbagnato for inviting him to perform - I'm not exactly certain if she is now the acting A.D. for dance productions, or what exactly.

Yes, she's been doing double-duty as an etoile at the Paris Opera Ballet and director of the Rome Opera Ballet for two years.

8 minutes ago, miliosr said:

Yes, she's been doing double-duty as an etoile at the Paris Opera Ballet and director of the Rome Opera Ballet for two years.

Thanks, Milliosr - I couldn't find much useful information on their website regarding staff. In fact, I don't think there was anything more than a contact page.