This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Although the Seregrstrom Center has not officially announced its dance series for the next season but we have some idea on what to expect. The Bolshoi posted its touring plans and it will bring to Costa Mesa The Taming of the Shrew on July 17 and 18 and  A Hero of Our Time on July 21 and 22.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/upload/medialibrary/a65/a655d67a780f3e199a03324fbbbdf031.pdf

23 hours ago, ksk04 said:

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure how to feel--I'm interested in Taming, but don't know anything about A Hero of Our Time?

For other not-yet-announced info,  Alvin Ailey will be at SCFTA in late April-ish according to their school show calendar page: https://www.scfta.org/Engage-and-Learn/On-Stage-at-the-Center/On-Stage-at-the-Center.aspx.

You can find chunks of Hero of Our Time on youtube -- including, I think, almost all of Princess Mary which is the final act of Hero of Our time (and, i think, the most successful overall).  Since each act tells an entirely different story about the "hero" Pechorin  (who is also danced by a difference dancer in each Act until they all come together at the end) you also get to see a lot of different Bolshoi featured dancers in just one evening.

I saw the live Bolshoi broadcast and found it quite interesting...and absolutely wonderfully performed by the company.

Glad to finally know something about next year's dance season in Orange County.  I hope they bring their principal dancers and that the dates don't conflict with the Paris Opera Ballet's performing on the East Coast in June/July of 2018. 

18 hours ago, Josette said:

I hope they bring their principal dancers and that the dates don't conflict with the Paris Opera Ballet's performing on the East Coast in June/July of 2018. 

Is POB performing at the Lincoln Center Festival in 2018? Other locations?

9 minutes ago, California said:

Is POB performing at the Lincoln Center Festival in 2018? Other locations?

POB is also touring to Chicago.  There was info about the tour under the POB thread regarding the 2017-18 season. (It was in a post by volcanohunter in Jan of this year.)

Edited by abatt

Thanks, abatt, for responding to California.

I am awaiting more details about POB's 2018 tour. I had assumed that POB would be performing at the Harris Theatre in Chicago, as in 2012, but it is not on the Harris's website. I attended all the performances in Chicago in 2012 and POB was embraced enthusiastically by the Chicago audiences. It was a wonderful week. 

If anyone has more details, please let me know, even privately if needed. Do we know that POB will be part of the Lincoln Center Fesitval?

Here is the official line up posted to the SCFTA Facebook, per the Register. Nothing about the Bolshoi.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/03/segerstrom-center-announces-2017-2018-international-dance-series/

Mariinsky Ballet & Orchestra: Oct. 12-15
Artistic director Valery Gergiev and ballet master Yuri Fateyev present the company performing a tribute to one of the greatest choreographers of the 20th century, Michel Fokine. Dancers will perform “Chopiniana,” “Le Spectre de la Rose,” “The Swan,” and “Scheherazade.”

Tango Buenos Aires: Nov. 18-19
The musicians and dancers that make up Tango Buenos Aires promise an authentic production of tango in “Spirit of Argentia.” The work follows the life of Carlos Gardel, a French-Argentine singer, songwriter, composer and actor and his collaborations with Argentinean composer Astor Piazzolla.

American Ballet Theatre: Dec. 7-17
As a holiday bonus engagement to the International Dance Series, Alexei Ratmansky’s “The Nutcracker” returns for a seasonal event that features students from the ABT William J. Gillespie School and music by the Pacific Symphony Orchestra.

Dublin Irish Dance: Feb. 24-25
Making its center debut, Dublin Irish Dance brings “Stepping Out,” a production that showcases the sights and sounds of Irish culture as performed by world champion Irish step dancers, an eight-member Irish band and a vocalist.

Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan: March 16-18
Choreographer Lin Hwai-min’s contemporary ballet, “Formosa,” is based on a legend from the 16th century when Portuguese sailors were said to have first discovered Taiwan and exclaimed, “formosa” or “beautiful island.” The company’s movement incorporates traditional Asian gesture, martial arts, acrobatics and more. This will be the company’s first time performing at Segerstrom.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre: April 14, 18 and 19-22
Founded in 1958 and designated as an American cultural ambassador to the world, the celebrated modern dance company returns to the center with a program of works from the company’s repertoire including the iconic, “Revelations.”  The engagement includes a free event on the center’s plaza as well as an hour-long moderated performance in Segerstrom Hall.

Grim. Not renewing my subscription. The first weekend of the Nutcracker overlaps with Miami City Ballet's Nut at Dorothy Chandler. Poor scheduling.

Can't renew my subscription.  I will do a matinee-evening of the Mariinsky if I can get decent seats and the same with ABT's Nutcracker, and will spend more time in San Francisco.   

It looks like case of sabotaging the dance series to dismantle it in a few years. 

I can't fathom what they are thinking with this schedule. I thought the addition of the ABT Gillespie School would mean an increase in classical ballet coming to Segerstrom. Other than Nutcracker, there is only one classical ballet company on the list and no other full length ballet. I'm very disappointed. 

3 hours ago, AB'sMom said:

I can't fathom what they are thinking with this schedule. I thought the addition of the ABT Gillespie School would mean an increase in classical ballet coming to Segerstrom. Other than Nutcracker, there is only one classical ballet company on the list and no other full length ballet. I'm very disappointed. 

I thought the same. I will be writing some emails to Judy Morr (thanks Josette) among others--not that they've emailed subscribers yet. You'd think that would be simultaneous with the announcement.

Press release 2016-17 links to a pdf showing the addition of La Scala in late July to it's category International Dance:   https://www.scfta.org/About/Media/Season-Announcements/16-17-Dance-Series.aspx   The full calendar 2017-18 has empty dates.  Check ticket sales at venues. Mik?  La Scala?  You get ABT Nutcracker-the KC has gone regional since any Nut sells and presents an opportunity for companies to perform at the KC that would not produce revenue to justify a booking. 

Edited by maps

Maps, I'm not clear what you mean. Are you suggesting that La Scala was added at a later date so there may be more dance engagements added, like the Bolshoi Dreamer posted about? La Scala was always included in the series from the start, based on the initial announcement and inside the pdf in your link: http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/41151-scfta-20162017-season/ The program for La Scala did change mid-season (maybe in Feb/March of this year), however, from Cinderella to Giselle (thank god).

I see via internet search that la Scala was engaged and oddly not listed but is on  the linked pdf update 7-26-16.  The full calendar, all genres, all venues has lots of open slots.  IDK.  

8 hours ago, pherank said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned here yet -

The Mariinsky Ballet and Orchestra is coming to Segerstrom Hall October 12-15 2017

Program:

Classic Fokine
Chopiniana
The Swan
Le Spectre do la Rose
Scheherazade

For anyone who wants to see the discussion under the topic "Mariinsky" (casts too): 

I posted this in another thread but the Costa Mesa dates are no longer on the Bolshoi’s list of tours. https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/tour1/

I also checked the Seregstrom website and don’t see the tour dates on the calendar. Anyone know if they are still going there?  I am going to be in So Cal that week for San Diego Comic Con and had considered tacking on a side trip if A Hero of Our Time was on the bill on the day I was planning to go. 

I was dimly contemplating a trip to California for the Bolshoi tour (both Hero of Our Time and Taming of the Shrew if possible)...it wasn't definite enough to for me to be disappointed exactly, but still...a little bummed. Also, with the cancellation of POB in New York this summer and of the Lincoln Center Festival altogether, I feel a little concerned generally for the fate of tours to U.S. from International Ballet companies. Are major new productions and less well known ballets no longer financially viable? (And next, will even Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet be impossible to finance?)