This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017-2018 season: Washington Ballet

Washington Ballet just announced their 2017-2018 season:

Russian Masters (October 4-8, 2017): Fokine, Ratmansky, Petipa, Balanchine

The Nutcracker (Septime Webre) (Nov 25-26 & Nov 30-Dec 24, 2017)

Cranko's  Romeo & Juliet (February 14-18, 2018)

Three World Premieres (March 14-18, 2018): Bond, Gomes, Brown

Mixed Masters (April 11-15, 2018): Serenade, Symphonic Variations, The Concert

Web site: https://www.washingtonballet.org/20172018-season

Season brochure: https://www.washingtonballet.org/sites/default/files/TWB_1718_SeasonTrifold_SingleFINAL.pdf

12 hours ago, cinnamonswirl said:

Looks like it's going to be a great season! I'm especially excited for Cranko's R&J.

I'm thrilled with the classical direction Kent is taking the company. 

Me, too. I'm looking seriously at the Russian Masters program in October, especially to see Ratmansky's Bolero. One reservation: am I correct that everything in the Eisenhower Theater (October and next April) uses recorded music? I'm also guessing that the March programs at the Harman  Center will use recorded music. The R&J is in the Opera House, although it doesn't say specifically that they will have a live orchestra. I was under the impression that Robbins' estate would only license his work if live music was used, so I'm wondering what they'll do for The Concert at Eisenhower next April. Can locals fill us in on this issue?

7 hours ago, California said:

Me, too. I'm looking seriously at the Russian Masters program in October, especially to see Ratmansky's Bolero. One reservation: am I correct that everything in the Eisenhower Theater (October and next April) uses recorded music? I'm also guessing that the March programs at the Harman  Center will use recorded music. The R&J is in the Opera House, although it doesn't say specifically that they will have a live orchestra. I was under the impression that Robbins' estate would only license his work if live music was used, so I'm wondering what they'll do for The Concert at Eisenhower next April. Can locals fill us in on this issue?

This post aroused my curiosity. I'm sure Natalia can fill you in on what Washington Ballet's practice has in recent years, but the Eisenhower has an orchestra pit, and when Suzanne Farrell Ballet appeared there they always used it. Apparently Washington Ballet is using it again as well:

The Washington Ballet reaffirms its commitment to the presentation of performance to live music with the return of The Washington Ballet Orchestra under the baton of guest conductors Charles Barker from American Ballet Theatre and Pittsburgh Ballet for the March 1-5, 2017 performances of Giselle, 

9 minutes ago, kfw said:

This post aroused my curiosity. I'm sure Natalia can fill you in on what Washington Ballet's practice has in recent years, but the Eisenhower has an orchestra pit, and when Suzanne Farrell Ballet appeared there they always used it. Apparently Washington Ballet is using it again as well:

Their Giselle last spring was in Eisenhower and the review mentions the orchestra pit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_danc/washington-ballets-giselle-marks-companys-transformation/2017/03/03/04bd9bd6-0038-11e7-a51a-e16b4bcc6644_story.html?utm_term=.c7ff3b64964f

They must pull out the first few rows of seats to uncover the pit. This site about the renovation refers to a lift for the orchestra pit, although nothing is visible in these images:

http://mcmullan-int.com/culture/john-f-kennedy-center-eisenhower-theater-renovation/

It would be a great achievement if they use live music at every performance. (Sidney Harmon Hall is home to the Shakespeare Theater Company, so that might be another story.) Makes you wonder if they have some very wealthy donors who stepped up to the plate for the music as well as recruiting Kent to come in the first place.

Based on what's on their website, I think that R-n-J and Three World Premieres will have a live orchestra (that there are 2 productions with live music is something that I'm sure about, but someone seems to have taken the brochure that they sent me).

Should anything be read into programming R-n-J on Valentine's Day? :)

Edited by YouOverThere
13 hours ago, California said:

They must pull out the first few rows of seats to uncover the pit.

That's exactly what they do in Eisenhower.  Last year I asked the box office about whether Suzanne Farrell would have live music before buying tickets and they looked at the seating chart to answer.  

Also looking forward to more live music at WB performances!

Edited by Emma
On 5/21/2017 at 0:21 PM, California said:

According to the Washington Post, everything next season will have live music except Nutcracker: "Additionally, as a measure of the standard of sophistication that Artistic Director Julie Kent has set for the company, all of next season’s performances (except the perennial “Nutcracker” run) will feature live music." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/washington-ballet-unrolls-a-season-of-world-premieres-and-masterworks/2017/05/19/89f6bb92-3973-11e7-b9e3-606b45ad1e5b_story.html?utm_term=.ce930fbefe77

This season we had a mix of live and recorded for the non-Nut performances.

2 hours ago, cinnamonswirl said:

According to the Washington Post, everything next season will have live music except Nutcracker: "Additionally, as a measure of the standard of sophistication that Artistic Director Julie Kent has set for the company, all of next season’s performances (except the perennial “Nutcracker” run) will feature live music." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/washington-ballet-unrolls-a-season-of-world-premieres-and-masterworks/2017/05/19/89f6bb92-3973-11e7-b9e3-606b45ad1e5b_story.html?utm_term=.ce930fbefe77

This season we had a mix of live and recorded for the non-Nut performances.

I'm thinking that the season ticket brochure just mentioned the programs that will have a full orchestra (I still can't find it).

The Washington Ballet does not typically publicly announce casting in advance although their playbills include the casting for each performance in that program. Sandi K suggests a great idea--I wish I had thought that of when I was in DC!

1 hour ago, YouOverThere said:

The WB now has R&J casting listed on their website:

2/14  Maki Onuki/Brooklyn Mack

2/15 EunWon Lee/Gian Carlo Perez

2/16 Venus Villa/Corey Landolt

2/17 EunWon Lee/Gian Carlo Perez (matinee)   Maki Onuki/Brooklyn Mack (evening)

2/18 Ayano Kimura/Jonathan Jordan

Very sad not to see Sarabia on that list.

16 hours ago, its the mom said:

Very sad not to see Sarabia on that list.

And surprising. I'm a little disappointed that I probably won't get to see EunWon Lee, as Thursday probably isn't available to me and recent changes to on-street parking near the Kennedy Center have made it more difficult (or expensive) to attend Saturday matinee performances.

23 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

And surprising. I'm a little disappointed that I probably won't get to see EunWon Lee, as Thursday probably isn't available to me and recent changes to on-street parking near the Kennedy Center have made it more difficult (or expensive) to attend Saturday matinee performances.

Unpaid Saturday parking is still available in the area, though you might have to walk an extra block or two or do a bit more scouting. ;-)

What I find more frustrating is the high rate of broken/nonfunctional parking meters or pay stations, which makes the parking effectively unavailable even if one is willing to pay the $2.30/hr. 

The parking garage is very convenient, albeit a little expensive.  It's $23 on the spot, $20 in advance and $18 advanced purchase with a basic membership.  Details are on the Kennedy Center website.  If it's within your budget you may want consider it if it means you get to  see something you really want to.  Consider  how much your time worth. How much time would you spend   searching for a spot, walking in bad weather, and/or  dealing broken meters?  Time is $$, or so 'they' say; whomever 'they' are.

:)

Just a thought.  

5 hours ago, theo said:

The parking garage is very convenient, albeit a little expensive.  It's $23 on the spot, $20 in advance and $18 advanced purchase with a basic membership.  Details are on the Kennedy Center website.  If it's within your budget you may want consider it if it means you get to  see something you really want to.  Consider  how much your time worth. How much time would you spend   searching for a spot, walking in bad weather, and/or  dealing broken meters?  Time is $$, or so 'they' say; whomever 'they' are.

:)

Just a thought.  

I've almost always been able to find free parking, but in the past couple of weeks DC has made some of those formerly free spots into Pay By Phone areas. My budget doesn't allow for parking in parking garages, and definitely not the astronomical rate that the Kennedy Center Charges (there are cheaper garages near the shuttle stop).