Kaysta

ABT has a new website!

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It looks nice and up-to-date!  Way better than the previous version.

http://www.abt.org/

It looks like they are still working out the kinks, as not all of the links are working.  But welcome to the 21st century, ABT!

Edited by Kaysta

But if you click on any link, it takes you to the old website. It's basically just a new home page, with sub-pages that are all from 1998, or whenever the old site was created. Sigh.

Wow. That wasn't up this morning. Looks very "NYCB". If you go to a different section on this site (the "1998" section - haha) and then click on "Home" again, it takes you to the old front page. At least they're making progress!

Posted (edited)

And, the headshots are too large - you can see their pores! (Except for Lendorf's which is much smaller than the rest, and that looks strange.)

They should have worked out the kinks before uploading this. It's looks unprofessional.

Edited by ABT Fan

8 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

It's looks unprofessional.

Then it fits perfectly as part of the overall ABT "marketing" "strategy"!

I know nothing about website design and implementation, but clearly they are actively working on changing it over.   Personally, I plan to withhold any criticism until the process is complete.

It's possible to completely redesign a website and THEN launch it. The changeover can be virtually instantaneous; it doesn't need to happen page by page. I don't know what ABT is thinking. 

And I wonder if they even have plans to redesign the other pages. The menu at right actually has an option that says "Visit the Full Site," which transports you back to 1998. So it's intentional, not accidental, that you can access the full old version of their website, home page and all.

Posted (edited)

Hopefully more is coming.  I'm just going to hold out a few days before I tear it apart.  But I agree, if it stays as is (with all of the links leading back to the old page), then it wasn't a very professional job and the criticism will be warranted..  

But I'm naively hopeful more is coming.

As for the pictures of the dancers, I actually like the close-ups, though I agree Lendorf's picture needs to match the rest.

Edited by Kaysta

56 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

It's possible to completely redesign a website and THEN launch it. The changeover can be virtually instantaneous; it doesn't need to happen page by page. I don't know what ABT is thinking. 

Indeed! I am definitely not a Web design expert, but had some involvement with a complete change-over for an association two years ago to all-new software and design. We spent months working on a beta site that was password protected so only authorized people could access it to change/comment. One afternoon before a holiday, we made the switch-over. Presto! All at once. I shudder to think who is handling their public piece-by-piece update. Perhaps a volunteer intern??

Also, I just noticed that on their new front page where they list upcoming performances, the performance start times are all screwy. Today's is (was) at 3:30pm and same for tomorrow. Saturday's matinee is at 10am. (It's like they uploaded a test page.) I don't think a regular ballet/theatre goer would believe that's right, but hope no one thinks the time was actually changed or at least calls the box office to confirm. Or else they'll spend a long time at Bar Boulud waiting for the curtain to rise! :huh:

3 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

(It's like they uploaded a test page.)

Maybe the Turkish hackers are to blame!

3 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

Maybe the Turkish hackers are to blame!

HAHA! Good one.

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

Also, I just noticed that on their new front page where they list upcoming performances, the performance start times are all screwy. Today's is (was) at 3:30pm and same for tomorrow. Saturday's matinee is at 10am. (It's like they uploaded a test page.) I don't think a regular ballet/theatre goer would believe that's right, but hope no one thinks the time was actually changed or at least calls the box office to confirm. Or else they'll spend a long time at Bar Boulud waiting for the curtain to rise! :huh:

If that was the case, it isn't now...