This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tara Lee's Final Performances w. Atlanta Ballet

Below is a link to a feature in the AJC on Tara Lee who will be making her final performances with Atlanta Ballet in the upcoming run of Helen Pickett's Camino Real (as indeed will a number of dancers). As per the article: "As the oldest company member, Lee was at a different place in her career trajectory [from other dancers who had decided to leave]. She knew, and had informed Nedvigin, that she would retire at season’s end to devote more time to choreography and other pursuits. Nedvigin has since has commissioned Lee to create a new ballet, slated for a premier next April:"

Lee has been one of the company's leading ballerinas for a long time. The article mentions that she had always wished to dance Kylian's Petite Mort which entered the repertory this season. Though not knowing that, I thought her performance in it last month was one of the most compelling of the evening and one of the most compelling I've seen her give: 

http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/arts--theater/camino-real-tara-lee-retire-from-atlanta-ballet-amid-farewells/4jv5cehJyksRquDG7KPDHJ/

Edited by Drew

Video of Tara Lee's final bow--last night after an excellent performance as Esmerelda in Helen Pickett's Camino Real. Several dancers on that stage were appearing in their final Atlanta Ballet performances, but everyone took time to appreciate Lee who is retiring as a dancer after over twenty seasons with the company. Nedvigin repeatedly guided or "pushed" her downstage to take in the audience's cheers.  I was at  the performance and after the curtain came down one could hear more cheers and applause from behind it--I assume some sort of goodbye ceremony was ongoing. Lee plans to focus on choreography among other things and, as mentioned above, will create a work for the company next season:

Edited by Drew

I wrote above that Lee was 'retiring as a dancer' --that's incorrect. She is retiring as a ballerina with Atlanta ballet. As reported on a different thread she is one of several Atlanta Ballet dancers moving on to form a new Atlanta company devoted to contemporary choreography 'Terminus Modern Ballet Theater'. 

Edited by Drew