This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

RDB season 2017/18

Next season in Copehagen includes;

Raymonda, produced by Nikolaj Hubbe

A full-evening Queen of Spades by Liam Scarlett

A new version of the Kylian evening Silk and Knife

Reruns of Swan Lake, Giselle, Kim Brandstrup's Shaken Mirror, Balanchine's Nutcracker, Akram Khan's Vertical Road

A new piece for the RDB School by Gregory Dean

A portrain of Sorella Englund

AND

A week's Festival in the first week of June, including Napoli but not limited to the Bournonville repertoire

Full details here

I missed this when it was first posted. The idea of a Queen of Spades ballet for RDB seems vaguely intriguing -- I have not seen the company in many years and hope I get to do so at some point in the future.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jane Simpson said:

I'm pleased to notice that they are spreading  their productions out over longer periods, so that it will be easier to see 2 or even 3 different shows in one trip - an excellent thing for us visitors.

Absolutely.

It appears that the "Somewhat Bournonville Non-festival" in early June 2018 will consist of one Napoli on June 1 and one Bournonvilleana program of excerpts on June 2. Did I miss something?  There's a Gala one week later (June 9) but there's no guarantee that Bournonville will be in the program.

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

It appears that the "Somewhat Bournonville Non-festival" in early June 2018 will consist of one Napoli on June 1 and one Bournonvilleana program of excerpts on June 2. Did I miss something?  There's a Gala one week later (June 9) but there's no guarantee that Bournonville will be in the program.

That's about the size of it. Apparently Hubbe wants to show the world that the RDB is not just about Bournonville. The 10 days also include

Swan Lake (staged by Silja Schandorff and Nikolaj Hübbe)
Young Choreographers evening
"An evening of modern dance" details TBA

and an evening called "Hubberiet" which is like a talk show (in Danish) hosted by Hubbe and featuring guests from other artistic and non-artistic fields.

There are supposed to be ballet-related events going on throughout the city, but no info about them till January.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The 2005 festival was fantastic, creating memories to last a lifetime. Are Bournonville Lovers a dying breed? RDB seems to think so. It would be bad if the Mariinsky thought the same way about Petipa.

Visiting Copenhagen for a genuine Bournonville festival is still on my wish list! Ditto PNB's reconstruction of the original Giselle.

34 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Thanks for the answer, kbarber.  The 2005 festival was fantastic, creating memories to last a lifetime. Are Bournonville Lovers a dying breed? RDB seems to think so. It would be bad if the Mariinsky thought the same way about Petipa.

I don't think Bournonville lovers are a dying breed, as witness how enthusiastically Ulrik Birkkjaer's small group was welcomed in NY and London a couple of years ago. I am organizing a group trip to Copenhagen for this festival and I had over 70 people who had expressed an interest when we thought it was a Bournonville festival. Only 12 have signed up for the less-Bournonville version. This just reflects Hubbe's vision, I think.

19 hours ago, kbarber said:

I don't think Bournonville lovers are a dying breed, as witness how enthusiastically Ulrik Birkkjaer's small group was welcomed in NY and London a couple of years ago. I am organizing a group trip to Copenhagen for this festival and I had over 70 people who had expressed an interest when we thought it was a Bournonville festival. Only 12 have signed up for the less-Bournonville version. This just reflects Hubbe's vision, I think.

Thanks for the affirmation on Bournonville but it's too bad about the lesser number of tour participants.  Even with less Bournonville, Copenhagen is a delightful destination for first-time visitors and ballet lovers, for so many reasons, e.g., touring the old Court Theatre and Theatre Museum in Christiansborg Palace or attending an open-air commedia dell'arte ballet in Tivoli Gardens Peacock theater. I do wish you the best success with this tour, kbarber.