This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2017 - Program 8: Cinderella

25 minutes ago, Josette said:

Well, I am disappointed, as the Saturday YYT matinee is recast.  It will be the fifth time that I have seen this Cinderella, and the third time with Frances Chung, who is a wonderful dancer, but I was looking forward to YYT.  

Makes sense, Josette.

When you are going that many times to see the same program the idea is usually to see how all the different casts dance the roles. Seeing virtually the same cast over and over would not be too special (I know you have to fly to SF in the first place).

Well, last night I saw Cinderella for a second time. I saw Friday's cast (Frances Chung) and yesterday was Maria K, with many of the same supporting dancers. I'm surprised Ellen Rose Hummel hasn't gotten a shout-out; her Stepsister Clementine is hilarious and steals the show. Taras Domitro does the same as the Prince's friend, although I was surprised and potentially worried as he took another bow, both to the audience and to the company... I couldn't find any information about him leaving. I, too, loved the fates, but I think their costumes look extremely outdated. I'm sure I'll remember other notes later.

15 minutes ago, hernando's hideaway said:

Well, last night I saw Cinderella for a second time. I saw Friday's cast (Frances Chung) and yesterday was Maria K, with many of the same supporting dancers. I'm surprised Ellen Rose Hummel hasn't gotten a shout-out; her Stepsister Clementine is hilarious and steals the show. Taras Domitro does the same as the Prince's friend, although I was surprised and potentially worried as he took another bow, both to the audience and to the company... I couldn't find any information about him leaving. I, too, loved the fates, but I think their costumes look extremely outdated. I'm sure I'll remember other notes later.

Domitro's status remains a question mark. Maybe we'll hear something in the near future (since the season will be ending soon).

1 hour ago, hernando's hideaway said:

Taras Domitro does the same as the Prince's friend, although I was surprised and potentially worried as he took another bow, both to the audience and to the company... I couldn't find any information about him leaving. I, too, loved the fates, but I think their costumes look extremely outdated. I'm sure I'll remember other notes later.

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Domitro's status remains a question mark. Maybe we'll hear something in the near future (since the season will be ending soon).

You might want to take a look at Diego Cruz's Instagram feed . . .

4 minutes ago, Helene said:

Thanks @miliosr!

The Instagram message from 15 hours ago is:

An onstage honoring of a dancer is pretty "official" by me. No one has said anything about what comes next for Taras though. His mother is Magaly Suarez of The Art of Classical Ballet school in Florida. So maybe he has plans there.

24 minutes ago, Helene said:

It is:  in fact, it's one of the examples of Official News in our rules and policies, "Non-verbal behavior on stage that signifies a retirement or marriage proposal."

Marriage proposal - I like that inclusion. Any onstage breakups, or births?

A forgot to include this link about Taras' mother: it's an interesting read.

http://ticket.heraldtribune.com/2013/08/09/lessons-from-mamicha/

"The list of dancers now in top companies around the country who have passed through her studio and under her watchful eye is long and impressive: Joan Boada, Diego Cruz, Lonnie Weeks and Luke Willis (San Francisco Ballet); Joseph Gatti, Jeffrey Cirio, Adiarys Almeida and Jamie Diaz (Boston Ballet); Xiomara Reyes (American Ballet Theatre), Katie Kadow (State Street Ballet) and Jordan Elizabeth Long (Swedish Ballet). The pupil she is proudest of, her son Taras Domitro, is a principal with the San Francisco Ballet."

Edited by pherank

We've been spared births, as far as I know, since the audience has likely cleared the auditorium before labor is over, and there is no definitive code for break-ups:  too many diverse behaviors, and too many behaviors that could mean multiple things.

Magaly Suarez (Taras' mom) is an amazing teacher.   In addition to the dancers listed above, there are many more of her dancers who have become professionals - here's a (partial) list:

Alexandra Berman - Houston Ballet

Julio Conception - Oklahoma Ballet

Julia Conway - English National Ballet

Krista Ettlinger - Dutch National Ballet

Milenia Garcia - Oklahoma Ballet

Elizabeth Mateer - San Francisco Ballet

Madison McDonough - LA Ballet

Grace Anne Powers - Ballet Met

Serena Sovdsnes - Cincinnati Ballet

Alberto Velazquez - Joffrey Ballet

Edited by mira
additional info

Yes though a few had their early training at her studio - the local ones are Krista, Elizabeth and Madison.   Several of the dancers on that list were pre-professional level when they worked with her and then were able to make the transition into a company.   Julio had previously been in the National Ballet of Cuba and Alberto trained at Harid but was coached and performed with Magaly.  I'm probably I'm leaving people out...

27 minutes ago, mira said:

Yes though a few had their early training at her studio - the local ones are Krista, Elizabeth and Madison.   Several of the dancers on that list were pre-professional level when they worked with her and then were able to make the transition into a company.   Julio had previously been in the National Ballet of Cuba and Alberto trained at Harid but was coached and performed with Magaly.  I'm probably I'm leaving people out...

It's an impressive network nonetheless. And it's pretty obvious that the Suarez school has been a feeder to SFB (though sometimes in a roundabout way). But that makes it even more painful that the top level Cuban dancers are leaving SF. So far, I don't get the sense that there's any bad feelings in these decisions - it's just been a time of change (and maybe a climate of panic in the arts). I would like to see more young Cuban dancers coming to SFB. Hopefully Helgi has some interesting additions in the works...

Edited by pherank

Magaly Suarez was the main force behind the ceeation of the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami. She used to invite Lorena, Taras, Hayna Gutierrez, Alihaydee Carreno and many other Cuban dancers to dance in ballets otherwise unknown to Miamians-(the complete 4 acts SL, Corsaire, Carmen, La Fille mal Gardee-(Hertel/Nijinska), etc. She had been a professor to all those dancers back when she was teaching in Alonso's school in Havana.

I have to backtrack to my comment a few weeks ago on being disappointed about the change of casting for the Cinderella I would attend on May 6 - YY Tan replaced by Frances Chung.  Chung danced with pure lyricism and musicality and her acting was natural and varied. She continues to grow artistically, which is a joy to see.  The solos danced by Chung and an excellent Luke Ingham in Act II were especially outstanding in their musicality and clarity; the audience began applauding for Ingham well befor the end of his variation - he was just that effective.  I was also happy to see Hansuke Yamamoto as Benjamin, as it was the only time I saw him in a featured role this season, and he is a remarkable technician and so charming.  It was an excellent performance from all and in all ways.