This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Justin Peck to Choreograph Carousel on Broadway

Oh, interesting!  Pacific Northwest Ballet is in the middle of a Broadway program including Wheeldon's Carousel, and Peter Boal mentioned during a Q/A that Peck was contemplating doing a musical.  Here's another place where he'll be working with music that Agnes deMille used earlier.

And I've been wondering what Renee Fleming would do next!

This has to be the potential to be great. Interesting Ramasar casting. I always think of Jigger as an older man. I'm curious to see if it becomes something of a dancing role. Pollack will be great. I'm a bit surprised it isn't Tiler Peck. She was great as Louise in the NY Phil staged performance. Just as well IMO - I wouldn't want to lose Tiler Peck from NYCB for a year!

I wonder if Justin Peck will discuss it with Peter Martins at all. Martins choreographed Carousel about 30 years ago in a production that played in Kennedy Center but never made it to Broadway. My husband was in it!

Are the roles of Jigger and Louise singing and acting parts or only dancing?

Broadway fever has certainly infected NYCB. What a wealth of talent and versatility that company possesses.

On a side note, Scott Rudin, who is producing Carousel, will also produce a biopic on Sinatra according to IMDb.com. No word on casting. And, also a new version of A Christmas Carol. Hate to be a scrooge, but as much as I love the story do we really need another remake?

Yes, I'm full of puns today. It's Friday.

I remember seeing an interview with Amar Ramasar in which he stated that he always loved acting, and it was a very hard choice for him when he had to decide whether to choose SAB and a career in ballet. Louise is  both dancing and singing. As noted above, she does the Dream Ballet. I think Jigger is mostly acting.