This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB 2017-2018 Season

I'm glad to see his Les Noces on the schedule. Long ago, I read an interview with him about this -- he said he would not have attempted it if he had been familiar with Nijinska's or Lubovitch's versions. Reportedly, also, the cost of performing it is staggering, with the chorus, dancers, and orchestra required.

Not much mention of Balanchine, other than Coppelia. I hope that's not a bad sign!

1 hour ago, California said:

Not much mention of Balanchine, other than Coppelia. I hope that's not a bad sign!

The article had a vague "plenty of Balanchine" presumably because the reporter thinks it's like reporting the Mariinsky is dancing Swan Lake. But let's hope it really is 'plenty.' 

4 hours ago, California said:

I'm glad to see his Les Noces on the schedule. Long ago, I read an interview with him about this -- he said he would not have attempted it if he had been familiar with Nijinska's or Lubovitch's versions. Reportedly, also, the cost of performing it is staggering, with the chorus, dancers, and orchestra required.

The last time I saw Robbins' Les Noces at NYCB, it was performed with full chorus and orchestra.* I can't say Robbins' choreography bowled me over, but the whole spectacle -- with the full chorus arrayed on tall risers behind the dancers -- was definitely worth a trip to the Theater Formerly Known as State. Seeing it was fine; hearing it live was terrific. 

*OOPS! Not an orchestra - four onstage pianos! Also percussion, if I'm not mistaken ... plus vocal soloists. It's an earful and an eyeful.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
7 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

The last time I saw Robbins' Les Noces at NYCB, it was performed with full chorus and orchestra.* I can't say Robbins' choreography bowled me over, but the whole spectacle -- with the full chorus arrayed on tall risers behind the dancers -- was definitely worth a trip to the Theater Formerly Known as State. Seeing it was fine; hearing it live was terrific. 

*OOPS! Not an orchestra - four onstage pianos! Also percussion, if I'm not mistaken ... plus vocal soloists. It's an earful and an eyeful.

I saw it so long ago, I only remember that I would like to see it again! But I also remember thinking back then: I've seen the Nijiinska and Lubovitch versions -- why hasn't Robbins? It would be very interesting to look at archival tapes (at NYPL?) before seeing Robbins again - if they exist. I'm hoping the actual calendar/schedule is posted soon.

9 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I wish they'd bring back Robbin's Antique Epigraphs. I feel like I'm the only person who likes that ballet.

I've seen it only on videotape and would love to see it in the theater. Here's a clip of New York Theatre Ballet rehearsing it in a staging by the much missed Kyra Nichols. 

Thumbs up to Les Noces. Thumbs down to Dybbuk. 

15 hours ago, cargill said:

When Robbins revived it in 1998 they used a recording, so maybe they will go back to that--not that I think they should, but it would be cheaper.  Mary

The recording NYCB used was rather unique: it was by the Pokrovsky Ensemble, who performed the work in a traditional Russian folk style. You can listen to it here:

I happen to like it, but it would have been better to hear the ensemble perform it live rather than via a recording.

For comparison, here's a video of Najinska's version, with Stravinsky's score performed in a more classically operatic and instrumental style: 

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell

Looking forward to rarely-seen Robbins ballets, esp. FANFARE, NOCES and DYBBUK. Doubt that the rarities will make it to Washington, DC, which usually opts for "audience friendly" fare like WEST SIDE STORY SUITE, THE CONCERT and FANCY FREE.