This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vienna 2017/18 Season

If any Ballet Alerters are travelling to Vienna to see opera or ballet, let me suggest you take a look at the schedule for the Slovak National Ballet. It's an easy one-hour train ride to Bratislava.  They have two lovely opera houses. (The historic building was designed by the same architects as the Vienna State Opera. The new one, a few blocks away, was built post-Communism on the site of Hitler's Apollo oil refinery, bombed into oblivion by the Allies.) Prices are embarrassingly cheap (8-22 Euros). And as I have often said, people in that part of the world have the classical arts in their bloodstream - it's just amazing how much talent you'll see and hear. They've announced their schedule through May 2018: http://www.snd.sk/?program-8&sezona=2017&mesiac=9

The Slovak schedule has (to me) some interesting items on it.  The new theatre is fab and Bratislava is a lovely but nicely compact city to wander around.

If you are travelling from Europe, especially the UK, it may be cheaper to fly into Bratislava and get the train to Vienna.  Several of my friends have done this recently.

I also agree that Bratislava is worth a visit. I always include it on my Vienna ballet trips. The new theatre is one of the comfiest I've ever been to. Huge amounts of leg room, excellent raking in the audience (you'd have to have someone 6'6" in front of you not to be able to see over them), super comfy seats. I have seen the Slovak company's R&J (Morricone) and Sleeping Beauty (Malakhov) and enjoyed them both.