This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Adolph Bolm The International Dancer c1923

Thankfully, they got the speed of the silent film footage right - presumably much easier to do now that everyone converts to digital video (no more putting 13 frame per second film in a 24 fps projector).

I like the looks of their "modern" piece at 3:41. I just wish there was a lot more to be seen.

I wonder which of Prokofiev's scores was used for the modern piece – "Le Pas de Acier"? I do like the movement of the big triangles.

Bolm also choreographed the first version of "Apollo" which premiered (with Ruth Page as Terpsichore)  in the US two weeks before Balanchine's version in Paris. Sympathetically reviewed in detail in the New York Times by Olin Downes.

You're right, pherank, about the smoothness of the silent footage. I remember seeing a silent version of "Sunrise" where they double printed every other frame, which gave the feeling of time being put through a kind of kaleidoscope and back again.