abatt

2017 Spring Season

191 posts in this topic

So psyched to see Maria in this again. :clapping:

Share this post


Link to post

I saw Kowrowski and Tyler Angle perform the second movement during the 2015 NYCB tour at the Kennedy Center.

 

I vividly remember being completely in awe of her length and control during the developpe balances. After the show my husband and I took the shuttle bus to the metro and she sat night next to us. I remember thinking that she looked so worn out, but then learning a few weeks later that she was expecting! I feel so strongly about treasuring her gift while we can still see her on stage. Very hopeful that her characteristic strength and technique will be in top form.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DC Export said:

I saw Kowrowski and Tyler Angle perform the second movement during the 2015 .... feel so strongly about treasuring her gift while we can still see her on stage. 

Yes! Thrilled about the Balanchine casting. 

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Interesting that Georgina Paz. is returning to do the girl with the red purse role in Fancy Free.  Is she on vacation from Cats, or is she returning to NYCB on a full time basis?

 

I'm also glad to see that Reichlin is doing Choleric again. 

 

 

Edited by abatt

Share this post


Link to post

I am glad to see Maria is back in Symph in C but sad that this means we won't get to see Tess Reichlen in the adagio.

Share this post


Link to post

Nothing major new in the casting for the first week, except Alston Macgill in the third movement of Symphony in C (New York debut). Maybe they are saving debuts for the "Here/Now" festival. I keep getting served ads online for this. It looks like Miriam Miller and Aaron Sanz (I think it's him, not sure) are taking over "After the Rain." Something about the tenor of these online ads doesn't appeal to me. They're trying so hard to make it look "sexy." Glad to see Georgina Pazcoguin back. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/5/2017 at 6:48 PM, cobweb said:

...Maybe they are saving debuts for the "Here/Now" festival. I keep getting served ads online for this. It looks like Miriam Miller and Aaron Sanz (I think it's him, not sure) are taking over "After the Rain." Something about the tenor of these online ads doesn't appeal to me. They're trying so hard to make it look "sexy." Glad to see Georgina Pazcoguin back. 

 

Cobweb, I missed that ad. Could you share if it comes your way again?

 

Part of me wonders if there will be many debuts this season. 43 ballets in four weeks is quite the production-- will they be able to rehearse so many programs comprised of new dancers? Also curious to see who takes over some of the Whelan roles that are in the repertory for the first time since she retired from the company. 

Share this post


Link to post

DC Export, the ads keep popping up, I think mainly when I'm on the New York Times website. I don't know how to link to it. You could probably get it served up to you by doing a google for "new york city ballet" or maybe just visit the NYCB website, then going to to the New York Times website. How all this works is a mystery to me, but whatever I do online seems to be promptly followed by ads on that topic, on whatever other site I visit.

Share this post


Link to post

No sign of Adrian Danchig-Waring or Ana Sophia Scheller! Not good!

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really looking forward to seeing Maria K in Symphony in C.  I've never Teresa Reichlein in The 4 Ts, but I'm sure she'll be fabulous.  I've seen Ramasar dance Phlegmatic (is that how you spell it?) and he's wonderful in the role.  I'm really tired of seeing La Cour in the part.  I don't know about anyone else, but I find Ask la Cour to be very colorless.  

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Maria K delivers. The last two times I saw her n Symphony in C I was really disappointed. I have a feeling she might be retiring soon - just me. I'm sure Reichlein will be great in 4 T's. I agree about La Cour. I believe his usefulness is in being a tall partner. That is always needed.

Share this post


Link to post

New promo out today for the Here and Now Festival

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/8/2017 at 11:01 PM, vipa said:

I hope Maria K delivers. The last two times I saw her n Symphony in C I was really disappointed. I have a feeling she might be retiring soon - just me. I'm sure Reichlein will be great in 4 T's. I agree about La Cour. I believe his usefulness is in being a tall partner. That is always needed.

 

Maria Kowrowksi always delivers.  She is amazing and the most senior dancer at NYCB.  I saw her last night and she is looking as strong and secure as ever, and brings more artistry and glamour to the role than anybody else IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, hyacinthhippo said:

 

Maria Kowrowksi always delivers.  She is amazing and the most senior dancer at NYCB.  I saw her last night and she is looking as strong and secure as ever, and brings more artistry and glamour to the role than anybody else IMO.  

 

 

Yes! Those limbs! So happy to see her back in a classic tutu Balanchine ballet role. Here's to many, many more years of Maria!!

Share this post


Link to post

Tuesday night's performance was spectacular.  It was one of those evenings where I marveled at how lucky I am to live in NY City and have the ability to attend NYCB regularly.  The company has a breathtaking amount of talent on every level. 

 

You will probably never see a  more enthralling  performer in Allegro than Tiler Peck.  If you have never seen her do the role, get to the box office and book your ticket for one of her performances.  Not even the great Kyra Nichols performed it with the arrow like precision and musicality that Ms. Peck is bringing to the role.

 

Also worth catching is Reichlin's long awaited return to Choleric.  It seems that this role is fading in and out of her rep as she moves up the food chain of lead roles.  She is explosive and brilliant.   There is presently nobody else in the company (including  Bouder) who does full justice to the Choleric role.

 

Such a joy to see Maria K.  back in Symphony in C.   Harrison Ball, who led the 3rd movement, is destined for big things in this company.  Ball, along w. J. Gordon, are NYCB's future stars.

 

Bravo to all the fine artists at NYCB.

Share this post


Link to post

You know that feeling when you wish whatever you are watching would just keep going on forever?  That's how I just felt watching Tiler Peck in Allegro Brillante.  Her musicality is insane.  For lack of a better way of describing it---it feels like she is composing the music with her body.  The music and her movements are so entwined that you can't watch or hear one without the other.

 

Maybe I'm getting a bit cheesy (and today is my first spring season ballet and my first day off work in 3 weeks, so I'm a bit looney) but she was really special in this role.  So happy I had a chance to see her.

 

Looking forward to my first ever 4 T's next.  I cannot put into words how happy I am that spring ballet season is here!!!

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

What a fantastic night!  It seriously restored my soul after a couple of rough weeks. I loved all 3 pieces.  As someone who hasn't seen a ton of Balanchine, I was amazed that these 3 works came from the same mind, as they are all so different.  

 

I already sang sang the praises of Allegro Brilliante, but I really enjoyed the 4 T's and especially Symphony in C.  I've only seen one other Balanchine's leotard ballet (Symphony in 3 Movements), which at the time, I wasn't sure if I liked it or not.  Happy to say I didn't feel that way about the 4T's.  I really enjoyed it, especially the 2nd and 3rd variations.  The 4 dancers in the background during Phlegmatic were the highlight.  

 

Symphony in C is my kind of ballet.  Sara Mearns was breathtaking in the Adagio.  And I thought Alston Macgill held her own with the senior principal ladies.

 

So happy I made the trip in.  I'm staying in the city tonight instead of trekking back to Philly late.  It feels good to enjoy the performances without the stress of the trip home.  Think I'm going to do this once a month.

Edited by Kaysta

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you, Kaysta, for your on-the-spot reviews of tonight's performance. I'm going to see the same program tomorrow--slightly different cast--and can't wait, especially to see Tiler Peck in Allegro Brilliante. I hope she still has plenty of energy after dancing it so many times this week--her own performances and subbing for Megan Fairchild. I rarely get to the ballet and chose this program because I love all ballets Balanchine. Enjoy the rest of your evening and day in NYC, Kaysta.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Kaysta said:

What a fantastic night!  It seriously restored my soul after a couple of rough weeks. I loved all 3 pieces....

 

The 4 dancers in the background during Phlegmatic were the highlight.  

 

Symphony in C is my kind of ballet.  Sara Mearns was breathtaking in the Adagio.  And I thought Alston Macgill held her own with the senior principal ladies.

Agree. What a fantastic program. A treat. The four girls in Phlegmatic were AMAZING. And Ask LaCour danced it well. Macgill is totally charming - something that can't be learned. Sara Mearns danced the second movement  of Synohony in C like the goddess she can be. Also loved Reichlen in Choleric in the other cast. And let's not forget Ball and Gordon, or the superb partnering of Tyler Angle with Maria. And then there's Peck! And Ashley Isaacs was excellent too. But everywhere there is the choreography. Balanchine. It really does restore the soul.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Kaysta said:

You know that feeling when you wish whatever you are watching would just keep going on forever?  That's how I just felt watching Tiler Peck in Allegro Brillante.  Her musicality is insane.  For lack of a better way of describing it---it feels like she is composing the music with her body.  The music and her movements are so entwined that you can't watch or hear one without the other.

 

Maybe I'm getting a bit cheesy (and today is my first spring season ballet and my first day off work in 3 weeks, so I'm a bit looney) but she was really special in this role.  So happy I had a chance to see her.

 

On Instagram, she seemed ecstatic about performing this four times this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, California said:

 

On Instagram, she seemed ecstatic about performing this four times this season.

 

It showed.  You can't teach what she did last night.  Just pure innate musicality emanating from every part of her body.  A very memorable performance.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.