This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

City Center Joffrey Ballet - Dance in America 1976

Wow, the entire opening Chinese Conjurer solo from Parade. How great is that? Gary Chryst is tremendous in this role: the opening leaps/ his ballon, is impressive. The rest of the choreography is not nearly as interesting, imo.

I would swear, though, that there is a color version of much of this same footage.

From personal - therefore limited - experience going back about that far (my own off-air recordings seem to have begun in 1979, according to my notes) I'd say both surmises are correct:  In New York, at least, it was broadcast (and recorded by a friend) in color, and that with two or three or more transitions along the way from that to what we see here, the "color information" was lost.  

Whether the tape this is derived from was possibly made from a black-and-white broadcast, or recorded on a black-and-white recorder, in Chicago, and then found its way into the Chicago archive, I can't say.  

(Other details may be unearthed by someone who enjoys searching the NYPL Dance Collection catalog more than I do!)

But Chryst is pretty remarkable!  Black-and-white or full color, there's no doubt!  Good to see that.

Edited by Jack Reed