This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Ballerina Body" by Misty Copeland

Misty Copeland is on a book tour during ABT's week off:  her newest book is "Ballerina Body: Dancing and Eating Your Way to a Leaner, Stronger and More Graceful You."

We were lucky to hear her speak at Meany Hall at the University of Washington; her appearance was organized by the UW Alumni Association.  It was packed, and many people, including lots of young dancers, had her book.  Professor Valerie Curtis-Newton, the Head of Performance, Directing, and Acting at the UW School of Drama interviewed Copeland and selected questions that had been submitted.

Copeland must have been asked many of the same questions many times, but her answers sounded spontaneous and fresh.  She spoke with a lot of emotion and passion, and it was a privilege to be there.

What she said -- Copeland was both sincere and poised, which is a hard combination.

One of the audience questions touched on the Under Armor situation -- Copeland said that she had faith in the people she knew in the organization and that she was still happy to represent them.

A cookbook by a ballerina reminds me of the joke Billy Crystal makes in “When Harry Met Sally…..” about the Ethiopian restaurant.

Although Allegra Kent did solicit a few recipes for her body book. And of course Watts and Soto published "Our Meals."

Oh, and speaking of ballerina memoirs and Heather Watts – come on, Heather! Tell us everything!

Karin von Aroldingen also wrote for "Ballet Review" describing how Balanchine would come to her apartment, look in the fridge, and make soup out of what was there.  If I remember correctly, she wrote that he thought that shriveled old neglected vegetables made the best soup.

The three recipes she wrote out were for three soups based on "Jewels," one green, one red, and one white.  I remember that he baked his beets first for the borscht, and I found that it can make the soup.