This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB: Promotions for Jennifer Stahl, Esteban Hernandez, and Steven Morse

Promotions for Jennifer Stahl, Esteban Hernandez, and Steven Morse

From a SFB email to subscribers:

"...Soloist Jennifer Stahl has been promoted to principal dancer and Corps de Ballet members Esteban Hernandez and Steven Morse have been promoted to soloist, effective July 1.

Born in Dana Point, California, Jennifer Stahl trained at SF Ballet School before being named an apprentice in 2005, a corps de ballet member one year later, and a soloist in 2013. Since then, she has created roles in works by Forsythe, Morris, Peck, Possokhov, and Thatcher and has performed numerous principal roles.

From Guadalajara, Mexico, Esteban Hernandez trained at The Rock School in Philadelphia before joining SF Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet in 2013. He has performed a variety of principal and featured roles, most recently as Henry in Scarlett’s Frankenstein.

Steven Morse from Harbor City, California was a trainee at SF Ballet School before joining the Company in 2009. As a corps de ballet member, he created principal roles in Scarlett’s Fearful Symmetries and Thatcher’s Manifesto.

Please join us in congratulating Jennifer, Esteban, and Steven on their promotions and look for them in upcoming performances of Tomasson's Swan Lake and Made for SF Ballet."

A hearty congratulations to Stahl, Hernandez and Morse!

There's no mention of Hernandez performing the Prodigal Son, which is the kind of role one dances before being promoted (not that Frankenstein's monster isn't good too).

It is definitely time for Jennifer Stahl's promotion - she's made the necessary sacrifices. I've not seen as much of Morse, so it would be good to hear from other members on what they think of his dancing.

Well, I've been falling out of my chair all week long (and we'll include last week, too) at all these promotion announcements. Just love hearing them all! I'm particularly excited for Steven Morse, as I'd feared he might be overlooked and he had such a strong season last year, it seemed to me. Actually, I'm thrilled for all three; they are all a pleasure to watch. 

Wow, WHAT an eventful season for the SFB's roster!

Pherank, we posted at the same time, and there you go, my opinion on Morse. Last spring - I can't remember which ballet, now, it was him with seven other dancers, all principals (and surely there was a soloist or two in the group) and he fit in so seamlessly, I was SO impressed. He really seemed ready to be moved up. 

Just now, Terez said:

Oh, dear, what just crossed my mind was that Lauren Strongin has not been tapped - and it seems to me she's been dancing at SUCH a high level lately.  : ( 

It's not over until it's over. ;)

Does this mean Tomasson is also trying to pull in a dancer(s) from outside the company and needs to keep a space open? We'll just have to wait and see. Those announcements tend to come in late spring/early summer.

Thanks for your thoughts on Morse.

The promotions are effective on July 1, 2017, by which time three present principal dancers will not on the payroll.  I am thrilled for each of the three promoted artists.  Steven Morse was in the first cast of Dancers in a Gathering two seasons ago where he held his own in a group of principals, so it is terrific to see him promoted. Jennifer Stahl has been dancing with increased assurance and presence whenever I've seen her this season, including in Violin Concerto last Saturday; and in the Snow pas de deux in December, I was struck with her classical technique.  And Esteban Hernandez was truly wonderful in The Prodigal Son last Saturday night, which I commented on elsewhere on Ballet Alert.  There are some others I would love to see promoted as well  (e.g., Diego Cruz, Myles Thatcher). 

Congratulations to Jennifer, Steven, and Esteban!  Their promotions help to get over the soon-to-be departures of Vanessa Zahorian, Lorena Feijoo, and Davit Karapetyan. 

Edited by Josette
53 minutes ago, Terez said:

Oh, dear, what just crossed my mind was that Lauren Strongin has not been tapped - and it seems to me she's been dancing at SUCH a high level lately.  : ( 

Yes, this. I was hoping that these announcements are in conjunction with contract renewals for next year. These tend to be in March, so perhaps there will be more announcements shortly.

I feel like in years past, these announcements were kept until the summer. Interesting that they are being made now.

2 hours ago, PeggyTulle said:

I feel like in years past, these announcements were kept until the summer. Interesting that they are being made now.

I have to think this was a tactical decision by Tomasson to deal with the many retirements. There is a point when it starts to feel like all the air is being let out of the balloon. He's got to keep people excited about the future, not nervous and worried.

To me, it was respectful to promote Stahl before, say, Strongin, even if Strongin is, talent-wise, deserving. That shows the management does not forget the people who have come up through the ranks, step-by-step (so to speak).

I agree with you about the Stahl promotion, pherank. Jennifer Stahl was chosen out of the corps by Yuri Possokhov for the lead in The Rite of Spring, danced most of the performances, and was promoted to soloist after the premiere. She has been chosen to dance new ballets by multiple visiting choreographers, such as Forsythe, and this season she is showing a new and noteworthy polish to her dancing.  I can't wait to see what Stahl will be dancing next season as a principal. 

On 3/22/2017 at 4:40 PM, pherank said:

I have to think this was a tactical decision by Tomasson to deal with the many retirements. There is a point when it starts to feel like all the air is being let out of the balloon. He's got to keep people excited about the future, not nervous and worried.

To me, it was respectful to promote Stahl before, say, Strongin, even if Strongin is, talent-wise, deserving. That shows the management does not forget the people who have come up through the ranks, step-by-step (so to speak).

Makes great sense, Pherank, on both points mentioned.