This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Robbin's The Cage at Bolshoi

How is this for working outside one's comfort zone? Bolshoi is working on Robbin's The Cage as part of their March live broadcast.

Don’t Look Pretty! Staging a Feral Robbins Ballet at the Bolshoi

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/arts/dance/interview-bolshoi-ballet-staging-jerome-robbins-the-cage.html

'What is it like to work with dancers whose training is so different?
I find it fascinating. You want to give them a sense of what the choreographer wanted. So you don’t want to change their schooling, but you want to change their attack. I try to emphasize dynamics in their dancing more. Balanchine used to say to me, “Jean-Pierre, you’re young — move big, big.” And he’s right. Otherwise, you look like you’re dancing on a postage stamp.

At City Ballet, the women are so excited to dance this ballet. Is that true at the Bolshoi?
I don’t know! I can’t tell. At New York City Ballet, the girls love it. They love the hair. They love the whole idea of it. They feel like they have their ballet. [Laughs] I’m just hoping I get this here. It’s hard for them. I always say: “Don’t worry about looking pretty. The stranger you look, the better.”'