This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Max Cauthorn promoted

So very happy about this news; I've been looking forward to hearing it for a long time now. ((I'd been banking on a backstage promotion after a performance night of Frankenstein - but I'll take this!))

Well, knock me over with a feather - I had no idea about Max and Sasha. How charming to learn!

Congratulations to Max and to all of those who believed in and supported him. I am so excited to have witnessed a generation of young dancers rising in the rank from the corp to soloist and eventually to principals. I just wish SFB would join the tradition of announcing promotions on stage--in those very few occasions when I saw a dancer being promoted at the curtain call I was moved to tears, even though I didn't know that dancer that well. There is something very special about sharing the joy and happinnes with a person who's being recognized for her/his achievements.

13 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I am so excited to have witnessed a generation of young dancers rising in the rank from the corp to soloist and eventually to principals. 

Me too, Dreamer! And I'm with you, that it would be so much fun to see a promotion being made publicly. Of course, with my luck, it would fall on a night other than the night I was there, and I'd be gnashing my teeth at having missed it. (Good thing for cell phone recordings and YouTube, however!)

I confess I forget exactly where I read De Sola refer to her "husband", but I'm about 99% sure I did not dream it. They've been a couple for some time - that much is true.

SFB is really good about protecting the company member's privacy. And that may have something to do with why these promotions are not usually done publicly. POB loves to generate P.R. around promotions, but SFB, under Tomasson, has always proceeded in a quieter manner. And come to think of it, Balanchine was known for doing these things behind the scenes (the dancer would read that they were now dancing a particular role, and then come to realize that they had been promoted, or hired into the company, etc.) I don't think that Tomasson is really imitating Mr. B., but it is certainly the Icelandic way to keep things quiet and simple. It just happens that one of the exceptions, would be this one:

"During the second act of a performance on tour in London, SFB's Artistic Director, Helgi Tomasson, took the microphone to announce De Sola's promotion to Soloist!"

21 hours ago, pherank said:

I confess I forget exactly where I read De Sola refer to her "husband", but I'm about 99% sure I did not dream it.

De Sola was married before, but to Josh Reynolds, now with Royal Winnipeg Ballet. She's referred to him in the past, as her husband (and they were once featured on the old SF Blog). But I can't find any reference to her married to Max.