This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is Alyona Kovalyova "Zvezda" material ??

The more that I think about this the more excited I get.

Alyona Kovalyova Absolutely Belongs at The Mariinsky !

She could be their next Flagship Ballerina.

But she isn’t.

So for the moment I would reiterate my hope that Artistic Director Makhar Vaziev, formerly Mariinsky, recognises this and encourages her to develop in this manner at the Bolshoi. Let her grow and perform in her own Mariinsky greenhouse. If this doesn’t seem to be happening I think that She, primarily, and the Mariinsky and the Bolshoi should start thinking about a change. Maybe they could arrange a trade.

Dancers from the Vaganova/Mariinsky, such as Svetlana Zakharova and Olga Smirnova, have thrived at the Bolshoi and this is great. Hopefully Alyona Kovalyova, in her own very special Vaganova way, will do the same. But if it’s not happening, if she starts to develop 'edges' instead of flow — Think Mariinsky !

If I knew whom to write some letters to, I would. I just wish her the best and will try to follow and comment on her development as much as possible. 

Edited by Buddy
spelling corrections and added thought

I’ve just finished reading an interview with Makhar Vaziev by Catherine Pawlick. It has a few interesting comments that relate to Alyona Kovalyova.

http://www.vaganovatoday.com/interview-vasiev-2017

Who are some of the promising young stars at the Bolshoi today?

Alyona Kovaleyova, Ksenia Zhiganshina, Elvira Ibraimova, Margarita Shriner, Anastasia Denisova. I am moving them forward and helping them to grow. I think that it is well known.

She [Olga Chenchikova, Makhar Vaziev’s wife] worked as a pedagogue at the Mariinsky. Is she working here at the Bolshoi now?

Yes, as a pedagogue. She works with Alyona Kovalyova, Anna NIkulina [who I also feel has Mariinsky resemblances] and the very capable Nastya Denisova.

So Olga Chenchikova, former Mariinsky ‘pedagogue’, is coaching her. Something that I would have hoped for. I wish that this all works well and that Alyona Kovalyova is as happy as possible in the process. Remember, there’s still the Mariinsky.

Added: I would want to say that in my opinion it's to Makhar Vasiev's credit that he's recognised her ability and beauty and has taken such an interest and been so encouraging. She seems to be a sensitive, lovely and beautiful young artist who I hope will always be treated as such.

Edited by Buddy
spelling corrections

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that Alyona Kovalyova and  Alena Kovaleva are the same dancer.  Alena Kovaleva is dancing the Diamonds ballerina at the Saturday 7/22 matinee POB/NYCB/Bolshoi performance of Jewels (Smirnova dances the other 2 performances). They list her as Prima Ballerina though it sounds here like she is a corphee, or soloist at most. I hate matinees but I think I will have to go to this one!

http://www.lincolncenter.org/lc-festival/show/jewels-2

On 18 May 2017 at 8:43 AM, nysusan said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm assuming that Alyona Kovalyova and  Alena Kovaleva are the same dancer.  Alena Kovaleva is dancing the Diamonds ballerina at the Saturday 7/22 matinee POB/NYCB/Bolshoi performance of Jewels (Smirnova dances the other 2 performances). They list her as Prima Ballerina though it sounds here like she is a corphee, or soloist at most. I hate matinees but I think I will have to go to this one!

http://www.lincolncenter.org/lc-festival/show/jewels-2

Yes, she's the same person. She's "Corps de Ballet." "Prima Ballerina" -- probably, but you may have to wait until next year to make it official.

http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/persons/ballet/all/

To see her and Myriam Ould-Braham (Emeralds) ,Saturday, July 22 at 2:30 pm, and then Olga Smirnova that evening at 7:30, I'd really recommend doing.

Added: At a very quick glance it looks like excellent casting everywhere.

Edited by Buddy
"Added" added
On 3/15/2017 at 11:13 PM, MadameP said:

Indeed!  I hope Eleanora does not turn out to be another should-have-been Mariinsky ballerina.  Vaziev must be rubbing his hands with glee at the prospect of trying to snap her up if Fateev does not offer her a contract.  After all, he now has so many Vaganova graduates - she will feel quite at home at Bolshoi.  How depressing...  

Eleonora has just confirmed she will be joining the Bolshoi.

On 6/8/2017 at 1:08 PM, MadameP said:

Yes, so I understand.  She was offered contracts at both Mariinsky and Bolshoi apparently, but she chose Bolshoi.  

Saw Sevenard live on June 14th as Paquita when Vaganova staged the 3rd act as part of their graduation

show. I thought she was very good but I did not fall in love with her at first sight, if you know what I mean.

Now back to Alyona Kovalyova - it is being said that Alyona will appear as Odette/Odile at one mat or eve

when Balshoy stages "Lebedinoye Ozero" on September 15>17. Dear God - I must go see this one but when

firm casting is posted ticket prices will have gone through the roof on the "open market". If this rumour turns

out to be true Alyona will be my second bullseye in two seasons, the other one was Shakirova. Seems even

65+ newcomers to classical ballet can spot talent !  :clapping:

So how is the Mariinsky's most potentially beautiful ballerina doing today ?

I hope that I'm not pushing this Mariinsky thing too far, but it's exactly how I feel and I couldn't think of a finer compliment.

So here's a look as posted elsewhere at Ballet Alert! by Mnacenani. This was streamed on the internet by the Bolshoi a few days ago.

I could watch this over and over and probably will because it's the best glimpse I've seen yet of what she's capable of. The flow, the transitions, the postures.....  

Absolutely Wonderful !

No one that I've ever seen has the aliveness of limbs (especially the arms) of Ulyana Lopatkina and that makes her one of the very greatest. In general beauty, Oxana Skorik is her heir apparent at the Mariinsky and Alyona Kovalyova may be also but she's doing it at the Bolshoi. Both these basically, remarkably beautiful dancers are worth following with the most appreciative attention. There's so much to be seen in this video, which is hopefully just the beginning.

Added: I would include Yekaterina Osmolkina in this grouping, although she's been around awhile and is not a tall long limbed dancer.

Edited by Buddy
typo and added comment

I continue to watch this video and I continue to be more impressed. She has some absolutely beautiful qualities. Her linear fineness is really lovely. 

I compare her with Olga Smirnova and Oxana Skorik, both also relatively young. Olga Smirnova is a phenomenon. She's has a complete and remarkable stage presence, much more so when I saw her perform La Bayadere earlier this year than I've ever seen on video. This may well carry her to all-time greatness.

For the moment I would describe Oxana Skorik and Alyona Kovalyova as pure dancers -- exceptionally beautiful ones ! This, I continue to feel, is more a Mariinsky characteristic. It may not ignite a response such as Olga Smirnova can because it's more subtle, but in the world of dreamlike artistry it's the essence.

More and more, I like Alyona Kovalyova's linearity. She extends into space, perhaps like no other. It's lovely. Her hands carry this even further. They add wonderful expression and extensiveness. They, at times, give her a sense of taking flight. Olga Chenchikova, in the video, offers her some ideas on the positioning of her fingers. I think that this will be very helpful. I continue to maintain that Oxana Skorik has the most beautiful hands of all the current ballerinas that I've seen. If Alyona Kovalyova can move more in this direction it will add considerably to her already remarkable beauty.

Ulyana Lopatkina, probably the epitome of dance fineness, has what Natalia  Makarova described as limbs that sing. Aliveness seems to breath from her every pore. I've never seen this done as well by anyone else. It's a quality that future dancers may strive for. 

I'll be very interested to see how Olga Smirnova, Oxana Skorik and Alyona Kovalyova develop. Will Olga Smirnova continue as a most beautiful 'expressionist' dancer (considered more a Bolshoi characteristic) and explorer or will she reach more into her Vaganova background, emphasising pure fineness? Will Oxana Skorik become more expressive, which I've seen her do with very good results, or continue to do what she's doing so well, emphasise her pure beauty?  Alyona Kovalyova is just starting and her fineness is so remarkable that I'd be very happy to see her stay exactly where she is. Also, as I've suggested before, her youthfulness is priceless. As she grows in ability I hope that she holds on to this as much as possible. It adds wonderful aliveness and heart touching  warmth to her outstanding gracefulness.      

Well, she's now a Soloist. Congratulations !  I do believe that she's on her way to being the next Ulyana Lopatkina.

As I continue to watch the video posted above of her practicing Diamonds, I feel this all the more. There is a difference between the two (for the moment anyway). In the limbs of Ulyana Lopatkina I sense more of things emanating from within. It's a sort of musical vibration through her arms, etc. In Alyona Kovalyova it's more exterior, it's her linear quality that flow so airily. Ulyana Lopatkina has both. Alyona Kovalyova could probably develop this inner musicality of motion too if she desired. For one thing, Ulyana Lopatkina seems to bend her arms more at the elbows than some other similar ballerinas, which gives her motion more musicality.  Still, I don't consider what Alyona Kovalyova is current doing to be less beautiful. 

A ballerina that I like comparing her to is Oxana Skorik. Oxana Skorik has a very fine maturity. The use of her hands is as beautiful as I've seen. I think that Alyona Kovalyova is working on this and it will add a great deal to her loveliness.

I look forward to seeing her as soon as I possibly can.

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

I look forward to seeing her as soon as I possibly can.

So do I Buddy - as you know I saw her Swan Lake debut but would like to see Alyona in some

other Petipa classics. Would like to sense whether she has the potential to join the league of

ballerinas like Zaharova, Alexandrova or Krysanova who ooze self-confidence and command

the stage the moment they step out.

Edited by mnacenani
2 hours ago, mnacenani said:

So do I Buddy - as you know I saw her Swan Lake debut but would like to see Alyona in some

other Petipa classics. Would like to sense whether she has the potential to join the league of

ballerinas like Zaharova, Alexandrova or Krysanova who ooze self-confidence and command

the stage the moment they step out.

Read what one highly impressed and not always easy to please NYC reviewer had to say about that, Mnacenani.

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/42821-alena-kovaleva-—-some-thoughts-from-nyc/

I still liken her more to Ulyana Lopatkina than the names that you mentioned. She's more lyrically lovely than grandly commanding. From your review and the video clips that you posted of her Swan Lake she did seem to have her moments of 'hesitation' but I'm very confident that this will pass with experience. She looked very solid and confident in her Odette and Odile initial dancing. The basic remarkable qualities, as shown best for me in the Diamonds practice video, are certainly there.

Also, it's her freshness, as contrasted to trained perfection, that gives her a special attraction. At the moment she seems to have both. It's a matter of finding the right balance. 

12 hours ago, Quinten said:

....Alena's loveliness is undeniable....

This part I definitely agree with, Quinten.  :)

I think that the possible issues that you’ve mentioned can be handled if necessary. Her most recent debut (at the Bolshoi stage, previously debuted on a Bolshoi tour of Japan) was Myrta. Olga Smirnova was Giselle and I would have gladly hopped a plane to Moscow to see this. 

Being given Myrta seems to be what you’ve suggested as being best for her at the moment. Impatient me, I would have much preferred her being given Giselle. 

Thank you and Menacenani for your thoughts.

Added comment:

You made another interesting point, Quinten. Because of her tallness her current partners might have trouble lifting her. In a previous post I said that I did see some "hesitations" on her part in the Swan Lake video clips (which aren't the clearest and are filmed from a far distance). Mostly my thoughts revolved around the lifts. So now I'm somewhat relieved that these may not have been a negative reflection of her ability.

Edited by Buddy
16 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Olga Smirnova was Giselle and I would have gladly hopped a plane to Moscow to see this. 

Buddy I missed this completely, was unaware, otherwise I probably would have gone. Seeing her as Myrtha would have been a great opportunity to judge her characterisation. As I keep mentioning the big problem at the Balshoy is that they post casting very late by which time the show is sold out, but if something is a must-see for someone tix can be found. Next time you spot Alyona cast for something please do send me a reminder.

21 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

Buddy I missed this completely, was unaware, otherwise I probably would have gone. Seeing her as Myrtha would have been a great opportunity to judge her characterisation. As I keep mentioning the big problem at the Balshoy is that they post casting very late by which time the show is sold out, but if something is a must-see for someone tix can be found. Next time you spot Alyona cast for something please do send me a reminder.

I expected you to be on a plane to Moscow by now for the Romeo and Juliet and well beyond this discussion. Good to hear from you. 

I completely missed this one as well. Leave it to Sophia at Dansomanie (in french) to have caught it. I agree about Bolshoi ticketing. The only chance I had to see the Bolshoi on its own stage was for La Bayadere and I bought the tickets before the announced casting because of very limited availability at a reasonable price (best done from the Bolshoi site). I missed Olga Smirnova because of this, but gratefully saw Svetlana Zakharova, Anna Nikulina and Ekaterina Krysanova, who were excellent. And happily Olga Smirnova performed this the following year at the Mariinsky Festival in what was, at the  least, one of the best performances that I've ever seen. The ticketing at the Bolshoi is somewhat better than it used to be. I'm still waiting for them to post the performances for March which I might be able to tie into my Mariinsky Festival visit if I'm fortunate enough.

I haven't seen anything new for Alyona Kovalyova, but I keep looking and will try to post it if I find somethingthing.

Edited by Buddy
3 minutes ago, Buddy said:

The ticketing at the Bolshoi is somewhat better than it used to be.

Online ticketing works fine most of the time but one has to buy blind three months ahead. Sometimes the English version ignores the seats I have selected and I have to switch to Russian to be able to complete the purchase. Can't tell whether this is intentional to give locals preference over gringos !  I spend most of my Saturday afternoons at home at my laptop waiting for online ticketing to start at 5:30 pm (we are on same time as Moscow).

Here’s her Instagram page. It might give some clues as to what she’s up to. For instance.....

_kovalenka_Some photos from last nights Gala✨ 
Was so happy to dance the Barber’s adagio in honor and under supervision of the choreographer O. M. Vinogradov 

https://www.instagram.com/_kovalenka_/?hl=en

But.....the main reason for posting this is this picture of her in St. Petersburg. Goodness, have I walked down that street plenty of  times !  :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQGK1uaFRR5/?taken-by=_kovalenka_

I think that she might be putting together a family at this Ballet Alert! topic. 

Edited by Buddy

We’ve heard all our opinions about her Swan Lake performance, it might be nice to hear what she thought about it.

_kovalenka_Still can't believe that it's happened, that my premier of Swan Lake is done✨ Huge thank you to my partners @jacopotissi and @davidmottaofficial , to everyone who supported me, who was with me near or far and of course to our director and teachers, to people who have made this dream possible.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHhk3AFDhh/?hl=en&taken-by=_kovalenka_

Just noticed that Xander Parish -- "An Englishman in St Petersburg" :) sent his congratulations.

https://www.instagram.com/_xander/?hl=en

He's a good 'chap' with a good heart, who also seems to know what's going on and is a very good judge of talent.

Edited by Buddy
2 hours ago, mnacenani said:

One for you Buddy - Laura Cappelle just posted this !  Methinks Pointe will sell extra copies this month  :P

http://www.pointemagazine.com/community/lauracappelle

Thanks, Mnacenani. Nice article.

Here’s one thing that I think is ok to print here, because it mainly involves a quote from Alyona Kovalyova and not the author’s opinion.

“While the Moscow style is notoriously more flamboyant than the reserved manner taught in St. Petersburg, Kovaleva doesn't want to stray too far from her roots. "I'm trying to stay who I am, like I was taught." “ 

This is what I would hope for and I wish her much success. 

On 11/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, mnacenani said:

Recent post by Catherine Pawlick on the Smirnova-Chudin-Kavalyova Giselle of November 11th. Read her remarks regarding Alyona's Myrtha debut - now I'm twice sorry that I missed this completely :  http://www.vaganovatoday.com/grigorovichs-giselle-bolshoi-ballet

I saw it. I give her credit for trying and doing it with a lot of composure and poise, which compensated for the sometimes obvious lack of experience. But as a casting decision it was a huge blunder that she had no hope of overcoming. I am sorry, but I could not bring myself to be convinced by a Myrtha with Alyona's angelic baby face, as hard as she might have tried to look stern and powerful. Even her height, which one would think would give her an advantage here, was of no help. 

And she needs to do A LOT of work on her hands, which right now are way too stiff and unsightly in the way she positions them. I saw this earlier in some of her photos, which I thought were just poor shots, unfortunately, I then saw the same thing live.

4 minutes ago, Fleurdelis said:

I am sorry, but I could not bring myself to be convinced by a Myrtha with Alyona's angelic baby face, as hard as she might have tried to look stern and powerful

Wow - a fellow member who actually is a Maskvich/Maskvichka !  Очень приятно познакомиться !!  I suspect you may be right but I would have loved to see her live myself to be able to judge. I would greatly appreciate it if you and any other members can drop me a line if/when Alyona is cast for any role. I try to keep track but two or more pairs of eyes are much better than one. Yesterday casting was posted for the December run of Don Kixot and Alyona will be Dryads' Queen vs Kitri of Smirnova on Wed 20th : https://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/912/roles/#20171220190000

40 minutes ago, Fleurdelis said:

Even her height, which one would think would give her an advantage here, was of no help. 

Is height really an advantage to become Myrtha ? Imho without perfect, excellent characterisation physical outlook and perfect technique will not convince the viewer. Members are probably sick of my writing again and again that excellent characterisation is required for all three main roles of Giselle, but isn't it really ??  Even my beloved Zaharova is not a good Giselle, and can't visualise her as Myrtha either. (Top secret - for your eyes only !!  My wife after seeing a recent video of Svetlana as Giselle quipped that she is nowadays looking more like the mother of Albrecht than his heart throb ..... mauvaise langue !!)