This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Bayadere KennCen Oct 22-17, 17

Lots of positives:

Kim Kimin is "in"! Opening night with Tereshkina, no less.

Lovely Batoeva as Gamzatti for 2 shows. Definite up-and-comer who just debuted as Giselle today.

USA-favorite "Big Red" Kondaurova is Nikiya to Batoeva's Gamzatti. So we can still enjoy "Big Red" after "Big Brunette" was fired from ABT....grrrr. 

Happy that Yermakov is coming but..."guess who" is his Nikiya. Oi! (Maybe "Big Brunette" can stand by in the wings in case Yermakov's Nikiya doesn't appear? Sorry!!!)

On the other hand...

No Schklyarov; still in Munich? But he'll be on the London tour next month.

Yet again the two most precious First Soloists are left off tours to DC: Osmolkina & Novikova...never to be Principals? But they will be in London (assuming that London assignments haven't changed).

Despite having been cast as Nikiya at home recently, "Project Chebykina" isn't happening. Not winning a medal at last month's Moscow IBC may have hurt. She shared a non-laureate "diploma" with Joy Womack. (I recall that when Obraztsova won the gold medal in 2005, she said that Mariinsky management had told her that she was expected to win gold "or else"...)

I take 'subject to change' very seriously, especially when it comes to Russian companies on tour, but if we get these three ballerinas as Nikiya  (and nothing interferes with my travel plans) I will count myself very happy!

10 hours ago, ksk04 said:

For those who follow the Mariinsky casting ups and downs more closely than I do, does this casting shed any light on the SCFTA casting for Chopiniana, Scheherezade, Spectre, or Dying Swan the week before?

Due to the brevity of the ballets being performed, as well as timing following their respective maternity leaves, you may get Alina Somova and/or Kristina Shapran in California. Shapran definitely back to performing at home; Somova not yet. Remember that Lopatkina returned to performing as Scheherazade in the SCFTA, following her long absence due to a combination of injuries and maternity leave...so maybe this will be Somova's return?

It is sort of sad that the really only exciting and interesting casting decions are the Gamzattis......Tereshkina as Nikiya will be technically excellent especially in turns (scarf variation especially), but overall ho hum casting for Nikiya, in my personal opinion. But one of the few upwardly mobile Mariinsky ballerinas Batoeva as Gamzatti should be very interesting, and Kolegova might be a very interesting Gamzatti as well.  The corps will be the star of these performances, I suspect.

Not sure I will fly up for this particular tour. Spending my money on the Mariinsky's London tour instead for many Swan Lakes and a couple of DQs.

7 hours ago, Birdsall said:

It is sort of sad that the really only exciting and interesting casting decions are the Gamzattis......Tereshkina as Nikiya will be technically excellent especially in turns (scarf variation especially), but overall ho hum casting for Nikiya, in my personal opinion. But one of the few upwardly mobile Mariinsky ballerinas Batoeva as Gamzatti should be very interesting, and Kolegova might be a very interesting Gamzatti as well.  The corps will be the star of these performances, I suspect.

Not sure I will fly up for this particular tour. Spending my money on the Mariinsky's London tour instead for many Swan Lakes and a couple of DQs.

I would love to have gone to London! Not practical this year unfortunately.  Please do report on what you see.  If I could have gone to London, then I might also have taken a pass on D.C. But I most certainly want to see the Mariinsky in Bayadere as I never have. I am also keener on the D.C.casting than you.

I actually just deleted a long paragraph about Mariinsky Nikiya options: what it amounted to was that...At today's Mariinsky, we could do a lot worse when it comes to casting Nikiya than Tereshkina, Kondaurova, and Skorik and ... not a lot better. (I am thinking of real options, not fantasy ones like 'why don't they cast X.')  I don't actually mean that as terrible knock on the company, though I was secretly hoping that for once Novikova would tour.

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to seeing all three ballerinas announced. But if the ballerinas disappoint and the corps is the star as you say--well, in Bayadere, that will be substantial compensation...

I will say my favorite Nikiya of all time is a very different dancer from any of the Mariinsky ballerinas--Alina Cojocaru.

Edited by Drew

Novikova's Nikiya debut this season was miraculous - what a great shame that America will not see this.  It was shamefully overdue.  She and Alina Somova for me are the best Mariinsky Nikiyas now.  Nadia Batoeva is an excellent Gamzatti - she is wonderful in everything she dances - but Mariinsky have several outstanding Gamzattis at the moment.  Fateev's casting for overseas tours as usual leaves a great deal to be desired.  

I can't contain my excitement over the casting. I know Skorik has many detractors but to me she is one of the most beautiful ballerinas and I am so excited to see her in La Bayaedere. Tomorrow morning my alarm will ring earlier than usual when the time finally comes to buy my tickets.

18 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I can't contain my excitement over the casting. I know Skorik has many detractors but to me she is one of the most beautiful ballerinas and I am so excited to see her in La Bayaedere. Tomorrow morning my alarm will ring earlier than usual when the time finally comes to buy my tickets.

Both times I've seen Skorik dance live, I thought she danced beautifully. Like you, I'm looking forward to her Nikiya -- though a wee bit worried about the impact of her recent injury which I infer is rather serious as she has missed a number of performances.

12 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Husband & I weren't going to this but have caved in to one performance - Saturday night, whoever may be dancing. Presently it's supposed to be Kondaurova/Askerov/Batoeva....subject to change. The Shades will always be there. :)

Well yes, the Shades will always be there.  So will the Wilies -- they're all dead!

On 7/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, Natalia said:

Husband & I weren't going to this but have caved in to one performance - Saturday night, whoever may be dancing. Presently it's supposed to be Kondaurova/Askerov/Batoeva....subject to change. The Shades will always be there. :)

I just bought tickets to the same performance! I skipped last year's Mariinsky run, and have no desire to see Skorik again, but I've never seen Kondaurova live, so I'm very excited

On 7/13/2017 at 2:05 PM, Natalia said:

Oh..definitely. Just the grand spectacle of the Russian shades and their unique sense of beauty and elaborated plasticity makes up for an entire worthy trip. Tumbs up for the  GRAND, tsarist era inspired shades, Natasha! 🇷🇺💙

20 hours ago, Mashinka said:

Skorik is currently 'off' with Tereshkina and Osmolkina covering her performances, not sure who will replace her in Bayadere, fingers crossed they may yet bring Novikova over,  What is Pavlenko doing these days?  She was a fabulous Nikiya.

I'm under the impression from my reading that Pavlenko is doing roles like the stepmother in Ratmansky's Cinderella and the lead in Sasha Waltz's Rite of Spring...and not getting cast in full length classics. But I would be happy to find out that I'm wrong!

And I would be very happy to see Novikova come to D.C. if Skorik is still out, but I suspect it is likelier D.C. would get Chebykina. When has Novikova last gone on tour other than the one Salzburg Festival Sylphide?  But yes, if Skorik isn't back yet, then fingers (and toes) crossed for Novikova!

I do wish Skorik a speedy and full recovery from her injuries...

Edited by Drew

If Ms Skorik cannot come to DC in October - and I certainly hope that she will make it -- then my understudy-vote goes to Chebykina, who danced a lovely Odette-Odile in Swan Lake during the latest of my trips to St. Petersburg (Mar '16). Not that Novikova is not capable; it's a matter of preferences for certain physical characteristics in certain roles.

Edited by CharlieH
2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

If Ms Skorik cannot come to DC in October - and I certainly hope that she will make it -- then my understudy-vote goes to Chebykina, who danced a lovely Odette-Odile in Swan Lake during the latest of my trips to St. Petersburg (Mar '16). Not that Novikova is not capable; it's a matter of preferences for certain physical characteristics in certain roles.

Hi Charlie. Welcome to Ballet Alert! I hope that you find much interest and pleasure here.

My feelings about Oksana Skorik are perhaps reasonably well known here by now. In terms of pure beauty of motion, I think that she’s probably the finest in the world. Because this is the ethereal art of ballet, on this I would rest my case. I will add, though, that in the areas of portrayal and technical prowess, although she’s had challenges, I’ve also seen her do some amazing things.

Yekaterina Osmolkina, who's been around for awhile, just seems to grow and grow. She may well be an equal to Oksana Skorik in pure beauty of dance. In that same regard, keep an eye on the Vaganova trained, Alena Kovaleva, now at the Bolshoi.

Yekaterina Chebykina, whom I’ve always liked very much for her ability to combine expressiveness with high classicism, really touched me at this year’s Mariinsky Festival. Have you been to any? You mentioned that you were in St. Petersburg in March 2016, which was just before that Festival. Has anything that you’ve seen there really impressed you? Yekaterina Chebykina, partnered by Xander Parish, performed a Diamonds, that I thought was one of the top highlights of the entire 10 days. In this performance she was pure Mariinsky, an absolute dream of grace and enchantment.  

Edited by Buddy
grammar correction

Buddy, thanks for the welcome!  I worked in Moscow for almost four years, until this June, so was able to visit St P many times. Unfortunately, my weekends in St P never coincided with the festival, which is ok, because I preferred to see the home-grown dancers in principal roles. Kondaurova is a special favorite among the women, with Osmolkina and, whenever I could see her rare appearances (such as Spartak), Pavlenko. Among the younger men, I most admire, Ermakov, Kimin and A. Sergeev, who should have been promoted to Principal ages ago. Of course, Lopatkina was the queen during my years in Russia. I was so sorry to read of her retirement soon after my return to the US. I suppose that I was very lucky to have seen her dance so often, especially in 2014/15 period, before her last injury. She set a very high standard that will be tough to equal.

Kovaleva was wonderful at the 2016 graduation performance that I attended in Moscow. Possibly the tallest, most glamorous, most mature Fairy Doll I've seen.

Edited by CharlieH
49 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Kondaurova is a special favorite among the women, with Osmolkina and, whenever I could see her rare appearances (such as Spartak), Pavlenko. Among the younger men, I most admire, Ermakov, Kimin and A. Sergeev, who should have been promoted to Principal ages ago. Of course, Lopatkina was the queen during my years in Russia....

Kovaleva was wonderful at the 2016 graduation performance that I attended in Moscow. Possibly the tallest, most glamorous, most mature Fairy Doll I've seen.

Thanks for your response, Charlie.

Yekaterina Osmolkina had never been high profile at the Festivals, or perhaps anywhere else, until the last two years. Her Giselle last year I thought was perhaps the finest performance of the entire Festival. It reminded me of (two?) of her Giselles that I saw in California years ago and thought were excellent. Last year's was even better.

Agree completely with your admiration for Daria Pavlenko and her husband, Alexander Sergeev. I've also seen Yekaterina Kondaurova do some wonderful performing. Ulyana Lopatkina, I feel, would have to be considered one of the all time greats.

In regard to the Festivals, only a few of the top spots are given to guests. The quality of the home dancers is usually exceptional. I think that they really try to give it their all as do the guests, who in many instances have done the best that I've seen them do and have been very worthy of the Mariinsky stage.

Please relate more about what you've seen and will see whenever possible.

Edited by Buddy
typo corrections
On 8/7/2017 at 9:44 AM, California said:

I confess to enormous exasperation that the two Woetzel programs on Robbins are at the same time as Mariinsky performances! Couldn't they do one of these at a time that wouldn't conflict -- maybe Friday late afternoon or Sunday early evening?

http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/MSDWA

From the Kennedy Center's perspective there was no reason to schedule these at different times. They will essentially sell out both Woetzel shows (the Saturday show is already sold-out) and the corresponding Mariinsky shows (< 100 tickets left for both).