This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Bayadere KennCen Oct 22-17, 17

Although the principal casting for the KennCen run of BAYADERE has yet to be announced, we get a good idea of likely casts by noting the dancers assigned to the August London tour and the two White Nights performances back home. The lists below indicate casting in the following order:  Nikiya/Solor/Gamzatti.

In St Petersburg/White Nights:

July 13 - Chebykina/Askerov/Osmolkina

July 14 - Skorik/Kim/Batoeva

In London/ROH tour:

Aug 10 - Skorik/Kim/Batoeva

Aug 11 - Tereshkina/Schklyarov/Osmolkina

Aug 12 mat - Chebykina/Askerov/Evseyeva

Aug 12 eve - Kondaurova/Ermakov/A. Matvienko

I'm very excited about the prospect of seeing Kim Kimin's Solor live...but it appears that his regular Nikiya is Skorik.

Tereshkina with Schklyarov & Osmolkina would be heavenly...if Schklyarov would be free of his duties as a Principal w/ Bavarian Ballet-Munich during the fall. I'm not sure if his current contract with Munich includes the 2017/18 season.

I have a feeling that you are right and those two listings are an indication of casting. In recent years they have only had 3 casts and usually not 3 principals. So I suspect Skorik and Chebykina (Fateyev's newest non-Vaganova trained fascination) will be on the DC tour for sure. And the third person will either be Tereshkina or Kondaurova. Frankly, the only one I would like to see as Nikiya is Tereshkina, and I already saw her in it twice at the Mariinsky. Her turns are great especially the difficult ones that end in arabesque after the scarf variation (with Solor). I don't know. I might pass on DC this year.

Kim will bring down the house. He always seems to do that b/c he has something energetic about him that audiences love, but I do think Shklyarov is the better dancer, but, as you say, he may not be free. I also like Ermakov better than Kim. Maybe this is a personal taste but for me Kim is best as Golden Idol and Ali and would be a great Jester in Swan Lake probably. Solor has lots of acrobatics, so he should be fine in that also for the most part. He can be impressive. He's just not a favorite of mine. I hope his acting has gotten better because he used to have a big grin with relatively no acting.

I hear you, Birdsall. Incredible that I may be missing my long-time favorite company for two years in a row, unless a cast led by my faves is announced before I purchase tix.  This past season I stayed away because I absolutely loath LHH, no matter who is cast in it. BAYADERE is a great ballet on all levels but the principal casting can make a huge difference on whether I go or stay home with my memories & DVDs of the best. The one positive that can be counted on: the corps de ballet of "Shades."

By the way, can anyone confirm (or not) that this is the last (or penultimate) visit by the Mariinsky Ballet to the KC, under the current agreement? The first agreement was for 10 years, beginning 2001/02 season (starting with the new-old BEAUTY).  I've lost count of the # of years on the current agreement & where we stand. 

I can't understand the stubbornness of the Russian companies to have the Soviet truncated version of Bayadere, given that at one point they had a proper recon with the last "lost" act re inserted. I much prefer the now iconic Makarova's vision. That said...I'm in for this run at DC.

Every cast listed above has at least one dancer I would LOVE to see. Most have more. And, however much I admire Makarova's production, I am super excited to see the Mariinsky version of Bayadere (partly out of historical interest as I assume this version is close to the one Makarova grew up with; partly out of a desire to see, in the theater, some of the sections she cut.)

And Bayadere is definitely a showcase/challenge for an entire company. It's not just about the leads. I'm plenty eager to see the soloists in the shades scene and the corps etc. At least, for someone like myself who has NOT seen the Mariinsky that much, this is a very exciting visit. When I read above that their current contract with the Kennedy Center is coming to an end, it rather sent shudders down my spine.

Regarding potential Nikiyas...I'm less of a Kondaurova enthusiast for nineteenth-century repertory than some, but video of her most recent Nikiya seemed breathtaking to me. Generally, given Chebykina's relative lack of experience and from what I have seen on video, I would be hoping for Tereshkina, Kondaurova, and Skorik. (Novikova recently made a debut and no objections from me if she tours for a change.) But, barring unexpected disasters, I am certainly planning to come to Kennedy Center to see this production whatever the casts and am, of course, willing to give Chebykina a chance. She was a really magical Clemence in Raymonda.

Edited by Drew
4 hours ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I believe the Mariinsky's recon of Bayadere ended up with the same fate as its Beauty. Dropped altogether.

It didn't last more than two seasons, if that. Premiere at the start of White Nights 2002, then on tour in NYC a month later, then at the Mariinsky Festival the following winter. One act was telecast as part of the Petersburg-300 celebrations, with Putin in the audience. That's it, that I recall.

On 30 May 2017 at 11:26 AM, Drew said:

Every cast listed above has at least one dancer I would LOVE to see. Most have more. And, however much I admire Makarova's production, I am super excited to see the Mariinsky version of Bayadere (partly out of historical interest as I assume this version is close to the one Makarova grew up with; partly out of a desire to see, in the theater, some of the sections she cut.)

And Bayadere is definitely a showcase/challenge for an entire company. It's not just about the leads. I'm plenty eager to see the soloists in the shades scene and the corps etc. At least, for someone like myself who has NOT seen the Mariinsky that much, this is a very exciting visit. When I read above that their current contract with the Kennedy Center is coming to an end, it rather sent shudders down my spine.

Regarding potential Nikiyas...I'm less of a Kondaurova enthusiast for nineteenth-century repertory than some, but video of her most recent Nikiya seemed breathtaking to me. Generally, given Chebykina's relative lack of experience and from what I have seen on video, I would be hoping for Tereshkina, Kondaurova, and Skorik. (Novikova recently made a debut and no objections from me if she tours for a change.) But, barring unexpected disasters, I am certainly planning to come to Kennedy Center to see this production whatever the casts and am, of course, willing to give Chebykina a chance. She was a really magical Clemence in Raymonda.

Drew, I agree with most everything that you've written. It won't be the first time.

In regard to Yekaterina Chebykina, I've always been very impressed by a certain ability that she has. That's to be able to change from an almost animated expressionism to absolute refinement in an instant. This year I thought her performance of Diamonds was probably the best that I've seen her do. I considered it one of the best at this year's Festival. I think that she's also developing more depthful characterisation. I think that she has a chance to be an excellent Nikiya in DC.

As for this version of La Bayadere, I've seen it year after year. I'm just fine with it.

Yekaterina Kondaurova, in my mind, can do anything. I'm in total agreement with what you wrote -- "....video of her most recent Nikiya seemed breathtaking to me."

Although I can sympathise with others' point of view, I remain a big fan of Oxana Skorik. She's simply one of the most beautiful human beings in motion that I've ever seen. I would also include Yekaterina Osmolkina.

I join, I assume, everyone here in hoping that the Kennedy performances continue. I think that they're a great idea and I've enjoyed the ones that I've seen very much.  

Edited by Buddy
spelling corrections

KC Open Rehearsal tickets [no donor presale] are now on sale for  Mariinsky La Bayadere [and ABT Whipped Cream].  That contract expired in 2012 so I'll binge watch the Mariinsky La Bayadere regardless of cast.   This annual engagement is a handshake deal.  http://tass.com/society/927956   Is this a who decides what we see issue? 

The undersold Ballet Across America  should have resembled Woetzel's Vail or Benois.  Annual ballet "anchor tenants" at the KC:   booked  Mariinsky/ABT/NYCB, site rental WB, phased out sponsored Farrell. Thanksgiving Nutcracker is  now regionals.  2017-18 season includes Cuban's Don Q/Giselle.  Old but good article on the KC:  http://www.performingarts.jp/E/pre_interview/0706/1.html

Edited by maps
update

That's what I recall, maps..."handshake deal." 

The TASS article is wrong. The Kirov Ballet was at the KennCen twice (not once) before the annual appearances began in 2002: fall 1991 (Giselles), as well as 1989 (Corsaire, Sleeping B, +). Before that, the Kirov appeared in Wolf Trap Park, in the DC area, in '86...the famous re-opening of detente with Swan Lake & a mixed bill w/ Shades, Paquita, etc.

As for the Sputnik article, I wouldn't take that as 100% truth (with "the Met" in the title!), as much as we'd all love for it to be the truth.

May this gig go on for 100 years. But the KC leadership and Board (and politics) have changed a lot since even the Michael Kaiser era. There are also budgetary considerations. All the more reason to enjoy the Mariinsky while we have it...especially in the big imperial ("elitist"?) productions.

On June 1, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Drew said:

I'm afraid that's my thought as well. Especially when she has been out all of this year ... 

Right. Lopatkina's Nikiya was the highlight of the last run of Bayadere at the KennCen (Jan 2008)...almost 10 years ago.

On 30 May 2017 at 11:26 AM, Drew said:

But, barring unexpected disasters, I am certainly planning to come to Kennedy Center to see this production whatever the casts and am, of course, willing to give Chebykina a chance. She was a really magical Clemence in Raymonda.

For anyone further interested in her, here she is (with Ivan Oscorbin) at 22:20, Le Corsaire (and modern 1:49:15). From my limited viewing she may well win this Moscow International Ballet Competition. There's also a lot of other good stuff on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSPacN1Cfo

On June 4, 2017 at 4:37 PM, MadameP said:

We do not know whether Lopatkina will ever dance again.  She is not at a good age to make a come-back after having an operation.  I hope she does...

Now we know that Lopatkina has retired. We're lucky that we got her in early 2015 as Paquita & Dying Swan...and Brooklyn got her tour in Jan 2016 (while DC had Raymonda with Skorik).

Casting is up on the KC website:http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/event/BSBSG 

PRINCIPAL CASTING (subject to change)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tues., Oct. 17 at 7:30 p.m.
Nikiya: Viktoria Tereshkina
Solor: Kimin Kim
Gamzatty: Anastasia Matvienko

Wed., Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Nikiya: Oxana Skorik
Solor: Andrei Yermakov
Gamzatty: Anastasia Kolegova

Thu., Oct. 19 at 7:30 p.m.
Nikiya: Ekaterina Kondaurova