This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vaziev Monitors Balshoy Dancers by CCTV !

15 hours ago, Cygnet said:

:huh: What?  There's a fine line between self-preservation and paranoia.  The Bolshoi never fails to amaze.

The article isn't saying he has cameras in private areas like dressing rooms. It's saying he watches rehearsals by CCTV video, which is more micromanaging than paranoia

Edited by Deflope

I know the article didn't state that "... he has cameras in private areas like dressing rooms."   I didn't infer that,

and neither did the subject or the author of the piece.  What Makhar is stating is that his voice can 'boom' in on

the intercom.  This could be disruptive to artists and coaches.  Some people thrive under micromanagers; 

others don't.  

Edited by Cygnet

Having read Ismene's translation of this interview I totally sympathise with Vaziev, I have the

feeling that he is the medicine Balshoy needed badly after the turmoil of 2013. I just cannot

believe Vaziev told Masha Alexandrova "I wanted to harm you" as she recounted in the Kultura

chat with Sati Spivakova, but then balletmistress Natalya of our local ballet academy says she

has seen and heard Russian ballet directors saying such things and worse to dancers. Evidently

a modus vivendi has been found, since Masha danced on Tuesday as far as I know. Does anyone

have any feedback on Tuesday's Bright Stream ??

14 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Having read Ismene's translation of this interview I totally sympathise with Vaziev, I have the

feeling that he is the medicine Balshoy needed badly after the turmoil of 2013. I just cannot

believe Vaziev told Masha Alexandrova "I wanted to harm you" as she recounted in the Kultura

chat with Sati Spivakova, but then balletmistress Natalya of our local ballet academy says she

has seen and heard Russian ballet directors saying such things and worse to dancers. Evidently

a modus vivendi has been found, since Masha danced on Tuesday as far as I know. Does anyone

have any feedback on Tuesday's Bright Stream ??

Here are the bows:

Edited by MadameP

Dear naomikage and Mashinka : we have had this discussion before a couple of months ago. I am

not Anglo-Saxon and am on a fairly intensive language course and don't want to be bound by the

incorrect pronounciation of Russian names adopted in the West. It is pronounced "Balshoy" in Rus-

sian, and written as "Bolshoy" not "Bolshoi" which I hope will one day go where "Bombay" and "Peking"

went. Please do excuse me regarding this issue.

2 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Dear naomikage and Mashinka : we have had this discussion before a couple of months ago. I am

not Anglo-Saxon and am on a fairly intensive language course and don't want to be bound by the

incorrect pronounciation of Russian names adopted in the West. It is pronounced "Balshoy" in Rus-

sian, and written as "Bolshoy" not "Bolshoi" which I hope will one day go where "Bombay" and "Peking"

went. Please do excuse me regarding this issue.

It doesn't matter how it's pronounced in Russian, we're speaking and writing English, so the conventional English spelling Bolshoi should be used. Someone searching "Bolshoi" on this forum will not find your posts, and many people seeing your headings will have no idea what company you are talking about, or only after some reflection.

'Bolshoi' would help with searches, though Mnacenani may prefer to fight for a principle. I remember the earlier discussion. 'A' does have a lot of different ways of being sounded in English. Unfortunately the first place my brain goes to with BALshoy is the first syllable of 'ballet' or BALlet (as pronounced in American English). So that's what my brain hears when I see Balshoy. But I didn't think that was closer to the Russian pronunciation--that is I didn't think that was what Mnacenani intended. Perhaps more like the sound of 'ball' is it???  (When I listen to Russians it actually does sound to me closer to a midway point between a short and long 'O' -- but I'm not studying phonetics.  Of course English in its many versions throughout the world is a minefield of non-phonetic pronunciation.) 

Edited by Drew

Yes, we did have a discussion on the topic a few months ago, and at the time I pointed out that spelling and pronunciation are different things, as anyone learning English knows all too well. My observation would be that along the way most of us learn the basics of French, German, Italian and Spanish pronunciation, and we learn to read names and titles accordingly, even if French can be puzzlingly inconsistent at times. But in any case we don't expect the dancers of the Paris Opera Ballet to anglicize their surnames to something like Zheelber, Ekeh, Loovey, Moroh or Paket, which, first of all, would be difficult to recognize, and, more importantly, still would fail to produce completely accuarate pronunciation.

Russian is a little more complicated because a different alphabet is involved (although it's not nearly so different as Korean or Hindi). But the same basic idea applies. A person can learn to read transliterated Russian with the knowledge that an unstressed "O" is pronounced much like "A," and that some consonants are always "hard" and therefore never followed by an "I" sound (prime example: Zhiganshina), and so forth.

The advantage of transliteration is that it provides important information on the spelling of the original, which can be valuable for all sorts of reasons. For example, "Tchaikovsky" and "Chikovsky" are two different surnames, even if they happen to be pronounced the same way in Russian, but you wouldn't be able to distinguish them if they were both rendered as "Chikofskiy" in the interests of conveying more correct pronunciation.

As for the spellings "Bolshoi" vs. "Bolshoy," there are different systems of transliteration, and technically both are equally correct in English. The first is more common. (A triumph of the Library of Congress over the Board on Geographic Names. :wink:) The Bolshoi uses "Bolshoi," so we can consider that the official and preferred "brand" spelling. 

Edited by volcanohunter
21 hours ago, kbarber said:

It doesn't matter how it's pronounced in Russian, we're speaking and writing English, so the conventional English spelling Bolshoi should be used. Someone searching "Bolshoi" on this forum will not find your posts, and many people seeing your headings will have no idea what company you are talking about, or only after some reflection.

Yes, absolutely. And the official Bolshoi website's URL is 

http://www.bolshoi.ru/

So at least they also call themselves Bolshoi. 

Either way, the dancing is the same.  

FWIW, languages, such as German, still use Peking spelling, etc.  A number of years ago I tried to learn Vietnamese, as I had numerous Vietnamese immigrant clients at the time.  Alas, the language was not surmountable, but the french romantic language translation to occidental letters did not help me a whit.   

Reading this thread, my mind wanders to Gershwin's "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" and They Might Be Giants "Istanbul".  You're welcome for the ear worms.  

Edited by Jayne
Spelling