This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MCB's 2017-2018 season

The Miami Herald announced MCB's 2017-18 season today. The big news is a new production of George Balanchine's Nutcracker by Cuban American designers Isabel and Ruben Toledo. This is a co-commission with the Music Center of Los Angeles. It will apparently premiere in Los Angeles first and then at the Arsht Center in Miami.  The previous version was pretty similar (some differences) to the NYCB Nutcracker. I suspect this new version will be quite different (costumes and sets).

The season will open with Jewels. Other Balanchine works during the season will be Theme and Variations and Apollo.

There will also be a program devoted to Jerome Robbins for his 100th birthday ("Circus Polka," "Other Dances," and "The Cage").

Ratmansky's Concerto DSCH and a Brian Brooks new work will also be featured.

It sounds like this co-commission will finally bring to Los Angeles's dense population a much-needed Nutcracker by a professional ballet company. ABT performs Ratmansky's Nutcracker in Orange County, which is about 40 miles away from downtown Los Angeles, and which is too far for anyone but a die-hard balletomane to want to drive, particularly in the evening. I suspect there will be little overlap in the two productions' dates as well.  

Whenever The Los Angeles Music Center has brought in a Nutcracker - in the last 10 years I am only aware of the Mariinsky and the Joffrey at the Music Center- it has been sold out. Joffrey even added a performance because it sold out. It is crazy that Los Angeles Music Center does not have a yearly, money-making Nutcracker. 

This is great news for Los Angeles to have Balanchine's Nutcracker in town.  Interesting also is that Los Angeles Opera's next season includes doing a co-production with the Joffrey of Gluck's Orphee et Euridice, with John Neumeier as director and choreographer. 

I have not seen Balanchine's Nutcracker live, so I am looking forward to seeing several performances. I can't wait to see the Christmas tree grow.  That is my favorite part in the SFB Helgi Tomasson version.  Magical. 

On 3/5/2017 at 9:00 PM, Josette said:

Whenever The Los Angeles Music Center has brought in a Nutcracker - in the last 10 years I am only aware of the Mariinsky and the Joffrey at the Music Center- it has been sold out. Joffrey even added a performance because it sold out. It is crazy that Los Angeles Music Center does not have a yearly, money-making Nutcracker. 

This is great news for Los Angeles to have Balanchine's Nutcracker in town.  Interesting also is that Los Angeles Opera's next season includes doing a co-production with the Joffrey of Gluck's Orphee et Euridice, with John Neumeier as director and choreographer. 

I have not seen Balanchine's Nutcracker live, so I am looking forward to seeing several performances. I can't wait to see the Christmas tree grow.  That is my favorite part in the SFB Helgi Tomasson version.  Magical. 

It is indeed crazy, especially considering that Nutz is the one and only guaranteed moneymaker in the ballet rep, isn't it? Josette, I think you will adore the Balanchine Nutcracker live. Flowers alone is worth the entire price of admission, to say nothing of Snow (never seen a Snow anywhere close in terms of beauty) and the first act generally, which has remarkably masterful handling of kids and interactions between kids and adults...

17 hours ago, jsmu said:

It is indeed crazy, especially considering that Nutz is the one and only guaranteed moneymaker in the ballet rep, isn't it? Josette, I think you will adore the Balanchine Nutcracker live. Flowers alone is worth the entire price of admission, to say nothing of Snow (never seen a Snow anywhere close in terms of beauty) and the first act generally, which has remarkably masterful handling of kids and interactions between kids and adults...

B's Nut's Snow and Flowers are enough to "convert" to Balletomanne domains l.