This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Herrera named Teatro Coln director

mussel

Big news. The Teatro Colón has a ballet company of about 100 dancers, although I recall from some of Herrera's interviews that there was a lot of "dead wood" in its ranks because Argentinean labor legislation did not take into account that dancers' careers were necessarily much shorter than attorneys' or engineers'. Is that still the case?

According to the little information in the El Dia article, there appear to have been serious problems with dancers (and other?) unions. Upon her resignation in early Feb, the article notes that no dancer took to social media to support her. Ouch.

It seems that one of the company choreographers, Mario Galizzi, took over as A.D. He's one of the primary stagers of the big Petipa ballets, from what I could tell from recent streams, e.g., it's his Sleeping Beauty that we saw.

Mario Galizzi | Teatro Colón (teatrocolon.org.ar)

She seems to be giving lots of master classes these days. Here's her February 1, 2022 resignation announcement on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZcK3NEuNhD/

English translation:
"Dear followers, I wanted to tell you that yesterday I resigned from the position of director of the Ballet of the Teatro Colón,,, (I share in the photos the original letter that I send to the Director General, María Victoria Alcaraz, where I explain perfectly the reasons) I leave the position after 5 years, immensely grateful to the public who valued from the first day my management, always demonstrating their enormous affection and support, and of course to my work team that was by my side at the foot of the canyon ALWAYS! I will continue to work and enjoy this wonderful art that is dance, but in places where the love of dance can be truly enjoyed."

Edited by pherank