This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Philippe Jordan, Music Director of the Paris Opera

There is a lovely article in the NY Times about Philippe Jordan, the Music Director of the Paris Opera:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/arts/music/philippe-jordan-paris-opera-music-director-a-conductor-who-excels-at-juggling-jobs.html

Despite talk/wishful thinking that the Lepage Ring at the Met would be mothballed, it's set to return in 2019:

“I’ve seen the DVD,” he said when asked about the production and its huge, wonky seesaw set. “Even Peter Gelb is clear that things have to be changed, and I’ve made a list and given some suggestions. Revivals give you the chance to make things better.”

And:

Mr. Jordan’s current contract in Paris runs through 2021; he said he is likely to leave then, when Mr. Lissner, 64, plans to retire. “I have loved the intellectual approach that Stéphane has brought to the Opera,” Mr. Jordan said. “He is clever because he also knows how to enchant Paris audiences. It can be very modern, but must always look very good.”