This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Millepied / Robbins / Balanchine, Paris Opera Ballet, Palais Garnier

Thank you for the link. I'm very glad Culturebox posted this on YouTube, since the original stream was geo-blocked. It's "legal" Balanchine, and we should grab it while we can. I remember admiring Heymann's performance very much. Unlike most performances of Opus 19 I've seen, it didn’t come across as Baryshnikov-lite, which is no mean feat.

If anyone is interested, I think this is the review of that same performance in the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/26/arts/international/paris-opera-shows-off-its-brilliance.html

The cinematography is mostly excellent, though there are still times when the camera is zoomed in close on a soloist and the movements of the Corps dancers are essentially cropped out of the frame. I think a better approach to this would be to have separate cameras recording both the full stage, and following the soloists (full body please!), and the video audience should have the option of turning on the "soloist view", or resuming the full stage view.