This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lorena Feijoo to Retire at End of 2017 Season

I saw the very beginnings of Lorena's career back in 1990 in Havana. She was a wave a fresh air from the aging stars of the company, but she was never blessed by the Powers that Be. She was never allowed to dance Giselle, and by the time she defected she was the black sheep of the Cuban ballet. Hence, she was never allowed to go back, unlike her peers Acosta or Carreno. During the mid 90's she was really a rising star. Glad that she could find in SFB the niche she didn't get in Cuba.

As Myrtha, 1990.

As Kitri, in US.

Carmen, with the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami.

William Tell pdd. Early 90's.

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

I saw Lorena Feijoo dance one of the most glorious, heartfelt Giselles that I had ever seen about five years ago - such beautiful, expressive arms and hands.  I loved her also as the lead in Raymonda Act III and she was unforgettable in Liam Scarlett's Hummingbird.  She is a generous, musical ballerina who is very much loved. It is another season where we are seeing several beloved dancers retire (i.e., Vanessa Zahorian and Davit Karapetyan).  A mutual friend introduced me to Lorena and Vitor Luiz several years ago and she had such a kind and loving soul, switching the conversation away from herself.

Edited by Josette
4 minutes ago, Josette said:

I saw Lorena Feijoo dance one of the most glorious, heartfelt Giselles that I had ever seen about five years ago - such beautiful, expressive arms...

And all that considering she doesn't has the elongated, fragile frame so favored for this role. She is rather muscular, broad shouldered. I loved her as Odile, Kitri and Myrtha. I only saw her once in Giselle, here in Miami, and she was indeed beautiful against prototype.