This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In a rather unique way, I am reminded of those superb artists, those magnificent dancers whom we hold in such high esteem and who regularly grace the great stages of the world with their superlative power and impeccable technique. In that respect their gifts are obvious. Less apparent, however, are those dancers and choreographers who are also gifted to share - whether in writing or interview - from their great reservoirs of personal experience, who also make the art form "live" by the very words of their mouth as perhaps few can. For example, I will always treasure the Paris Opera Ballet " bits" documetaries in which Manuel Legris effuses about the Russian ballerinas arriving at the Paris Opera and how that they are so instantly recognizable. O, how I clung to his every word ! I didn't want him to stop. His words were fraught with such intensity, experience and passion for the art form as he spoke from a vantage point to which only a select few have access. I then began to identify other "voices" within the dance community who have also affected me in the same manner. Elisabeth Platel and Laurent Hilaire - from the same POB documentary - came to mind. I will never forget the power of their dialogue concerning Nureyev. How they seemed the very voice and face (beautiful Elisabeth Platel) of the Paris Opera. The consummate ambassadors for the glorious Paris Opera ! Like some dam that had been waiting to burst, the most fascinating stories flowed forth from them in conversations where their very words appeared to stand up and reveal the art form to a depth I never knew existed. I would also make mention of Ursula Hageli from The Royal Ballet and Ashley Wheater from The Joffrey as possessing that same facility. I can only imagine all of those other dance "voices" out there just waiting to be discovered !

Edited by altongrimes