This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"The Nutcracker is 'occult' declares Russian Bishop"

From Ismene Brown's blog:

http://www.ismeneb.com/blogs-list/170112-The-Nutcracker-is-occult-declares-Russian-bishop.html

It has come to light that last month the city's bishop, Metropolitan Tikhon, pronounced that The Nutcracker was not a Christmas story, but a tale by the German fabulist E T A Hoffmann about a boy who through magic is turned into a nutcracker doll and a prince - hence he was a ‘werewolf prince’. And the Church ordered the Novosibirsk opera house to stage a more suitable Church-commissioned new opera by Mother Iraida Salnikova, called Christmas, instead of the fiendish ballet. This was apparently premiered on December 11.

Somewhat related, the Russian Orthodox Church (the main one in Russia, not the ROC outside of Russia) has condemned any "entertainment" (movie, staged work, television?) that depicts Tsar Nicholas II or his family, who are considered Saints...the "Holy Martyrs". In other words, no Macmillan ANASTASIA ballet or the Ingrid Bergman/Yul Brinner film can be shown in Russia without incurring the wrath of the ROC.

I remember, ca 2010, the ROC protesting a play in St. Petersburg that included the character of Tsar Nicholas II. It was at the Fontanka Theatre, across the street from my hotel at the time. I saw about 100 protesters (some priests, monks, and "civilians") forming a human chain to keep audiences from entering the theater. I thought to myself, "They won't be dancing ANASTASIA at the Mariinsky anytime soon."  [Not that there was any great urge to stage it.]

Interestingly, I've purchased made-for-TV historical shows about the Romanov martyrs (documentaries and docudramas on DVD) in Russia, in "official" stores, without a problem. So I guess that moving historical images of the Holy Martyrs are OK.

:huh:   Q:  What other decrees will the Bishop try to implement re the "occult"  "Swan Lake," "Giselle," "The Sleeping Beauty," and other works in the Russian & Western canon of ballet and opera? 

A:   Stay tuned.