This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

My ballet-themed Nativity set.

Oh yes...I love Nativity sets.  Back in the 70's and 80's while growing up in Cuba they were quasi forbidden, right at the time when Christmas was banned from  public celebration.  Sets stopped being sold and many people locked theirs in hidden boxes so as not to get themselves into trouble.  I was lucky to grow up having the familial green light to display ours at home, which was a beautiful one from the late 40's, hand painted porcelain from Italy.  This little introduction is just to give an idea of how much do I enjoy taking my current set year after year and puting it up. Well...my Nativitiy scene is very peculiar. Each side of the little house is flanked....not by angels, but by the Mouse king on one side and the Nutcracker Prince on the other.  On top of the whole thing, instead of another angel...there is Kitry..in a bright red tutu!! ;-) These are ornaments I have bought at the MET store, and I really treasure them. I don't think baby Jesus would mind! ;-)

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

:wub:

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

In Catalunia traditionally the presents are stashed in a log, but under the tree is a Nativity scene.  In the December outdoor Christmas markets, there are entire booths dedicated each to buildings, little wooden vegetables and fruits to make gardens, animals, accessories, people, mangers, trees and foliage, and, always, booths with caganers, who are witnesses to the birth scene from afar.  

It was fun to see parents bring their children to the markets to make their yearly choice of something to add to the family's Nativity scene.

I usually spend Christmas/new year in the Spanish Canaries, so am familiar with coming across the nativity sets in all kinds of locations, one of the most original was in a hotel in Puerto de la Cruz, with the holy family in furs outside their igloo surrounded by penguins instead of angels.  Really cute but not very traditional